PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nine pipes collected from various and sundry...
Top - Big Ben Pipo
Left Column (Top to Bottom):

- Savinelli Estella Pot

- Hilson Bulldog (Made in Belgium)

- Brigham 3 Dot Dublin

- Julius Vesz Circle 3 Poker
Right Column (Top to Bottom):

- Unmarked Apple (potential Comoy second... shape #337)

- Bewlay's Blasted Partial Bent Billiard

- Comoy's Golden Grain Bent Bulldog

- London Standard Smooth Billiard

Can't wait to get at 'em.
-- Pat

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Good lookin' lot! There's something about the shape of those Big Ben pipes that I really like, though I don't know what it is. Kashmir has a blasted one that I love! I might have to get me one some day. Can't wait to see the after pics!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks guys.
@pipebow88 - It's a monster. That pipe is huge. I have been looking for one since I saw the Old Cajun's Estellas. This one is fun, it has a rose(okay... pink) and gold swirled lucite stem, and awesome rustication.
@irish - This is my first Vesz pipe. As a Toronto boy, I'm excited to have one in the collection. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can notice the difference that Vesz's briar stock makes in a pipe. He purports to only use "dead root" briar stock, and that his briar is VERY old... this will be fun to learn about and explore.
I'm also really looking forward to cleaning up that Comoy. I've never heard of the "Golden Grain" model, but the staining is light, and there is some wonderful grain on this pipe.
I'll post pics once I get them all cleaned up.
-- Pat

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
@Pat, I have a couple of Vesz pipes and while he is a character and very enjoyable to talk to if you can get over his crotchetiness. I don't believe they smoke any better than any other pipe I have. If you want to get a pipe by a local artisan that smokes really well from the first smoke give Calich pipes a try. I have six and am always on the lookout for more. They are great smokers each and everyone.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
@Piper - I hear you, pal. I am ALWAYS on the lookout for Calich pipes. I almost can't believe that in a year of scouring the local antique and jumble shops, flea markets, and online classifieds that I haven't found a one. I can't go anywhere without tripping over Trypis, or bumbling into Brighams... but catching a Calich has proven challenging.
Ah well, it's why we look right?
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
PiperL12, thats interesting about the Julian Vesz. In old issues of the Ephemeris, his work is described in almost mythical terms. I guess time changes perspectives and experiences.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the Comoys Golden Grain turns out, I love a tall bulldog.

Dec 24, 2012
Damn. I was hoping I was next in line for the bench.
Sorry, bad lawyer joke.
Pat, I have a couple Calichs. One needs to be refurbished. I have been hunting for more as well. Shinypipes had one recently, but I won't buy from them.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Damn. I was hoping I was next in line for the bench.
We don't know each other that well. :wink:
Shinypipes had one recently, but I won't buy from them.
Me either. I keep hoping to hit the mother lode in an antique store in places like Port Perry. The only problem, is this requires me to go to places like Port Perry.
-- Pat

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I love that Estella Pot. Can't wait to see it all fresh and clean. Same for that bent Comoy bulldog. I really like that tall bowl.
That Hilson is one of the older Belgium ones. 4/5 of mine have all been good smokers. I've got it's cousin in a black sandblast finish and it smokes very dry. The buttons on some of them seem a little big IMO but they are nice and wide for clenching.

Status
Not open for further replies.