PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
I'm currently working on my second book. I thought about making it about trucking around the country for 40 years and not put so much pipe stuff in it. But now that I started I can't do it or my. Person character without including my pipe. Would be great full for all views and comments.. My first book Adventures of a Pipe Traveler is getting some good reviews. IWhat do you think?

Jan 8, 2013
I found the original thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/adventures-of-a-pipe-traveler-new-e-book#post-569753

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I am reading your Kindle book, and love it.

You draw the reader in, I feel like I am right there watching you in all of your very interesting adventures.

Great Read.!!!!!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I read the sample pages from your book and immediately started searching for a kindle so I could download and finish it. A very good read. Well done. I don't have a kindle and still researching it, but will definitely buy your book when I get one.

Jan 8, 2013
Bryanf- If you have an android phone, you can get the kindle reader app for free on the play store. Then you can download the book straight to your phone. Tiny letters though.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
BryanF:
Not sure what there is to "research" if you just want to read this book. Download the free Kindle app and you can buy/read Kindle books on your computers and on iOS and Android mobile devices. You don't need a hardware Kindle reader to buy and read Kindle books.
Bob

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Thanks guys. I never thought about an app.
Don't laugh, but I actually have a Blackberry Q10 (which is by far the best phone I have ever had, and probably the only one I've ever actually enjoyed). I have hacked it so I can download and install most any Android app, though. So far most of them work, so I will try the Kindle app.
The problem is, the screen is so small that it's not very nice to read on.
Best buy has a kindle for $50, so I was just thinking it might be fun. I read and travel a lot, and it might actually be kind of cool to be able to take a multitude of books with me when travelling. (I always run out of books, as I read a lot, and often am very bummed out waiting for a chance to get to the book store to buy the next book in a series).
Anyhow, I'm researching because I'm not sure which Kindle to get, and possibly even to get a Nook. The Nook seems to have the most going for it. Truth told, the absolute only thing making me even consider getting a Kindle is the fact that this book (among several other piping books) seems to be only available in Kindle format.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
bryanf, I almost bought a nook but one the drivers I ran with said his wife and son had kindles and they never went anywhere without them. After having one for two years I cant imagine going anywhere without it as you can take your whole library with you. That to me is worth a lot as I read constantly. Mine is the kindle fire. Take Care, Pipetraveler

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Bryan:
I've owned all the Kindle readers from the very first model (save the DX). While I tend to read on my iPad more these days, my wife still loves her Paperwhite. For a dedicated e-reader, I don't think they can be beat. Just know that for the lowest-end models, you'll have to put up with ads on the Home screen (NOT while you're reading the books themselves, though).
Bob

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
My wife was giving me a little grief yesterday for wanting the lowest end kindle without a touch screen. She kept telling me to get the kindle fire. She also told me to stop talking about it.
I admit to being cheap and very slow to make purchases. I think I will borrow my mom's kindle fire for a week, then borrow my sister in law's base model kindle and then make a choice. Neither of them use them much because they don't know how, and my mom stubbornly refuses to open an Amazon account, which makes it a bit useless, I think.
For now, I shall smoke another bowl and ponder the question some more.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Not to hog this thread, but. . .
Bryan, I think you'll see there's a big difference between the Fire and, say, the Paperwhite (the latest backlit, touchscreen e-ink Kindle). The Fire is an Amazon tablet made primarily for consuming content from Amazon. It runs an Amazon-specific version of Android, so it won't be as full-featured as a "real" Android tablet. (But I'm an Apple devotee, so I wouldn't even recommend a full-fledged Android device. :) ) If all you want to do is consume content available from Amazon -- Kindle books, Amazon Prime movies/TV shows, digital music -- then you may love it. It's got a fantastic screen. (For your mom to have a Kindle Fire but not an Amazon account is like owning a pen that doesn't have any ink in it. It's virtually useless.)
But if all you want is an e-reader and you don't care about color or consuming video content or surfing the Internet, you'll find the Paperwhite a much lighter device and one that's much better suited for just reading text. (You'll find the lighting on the Kindle Fire more wearying if you're reading for long periods. The Paperwhite is far more easy on the eyes.) The Paperwhite will also give you much greater battery life.
But if you're seriously considering the Kindle Fire, I'd encourage you to also look at the iPad Mini. The Mini will be lighter and will be far more robust when it comes to actually accomplishing things on a tablet. (And of course there are Kindle and Nook apps for iOS; you'd also get access to the iBooks bookstore, which would give you a third option for acquiring content. No non-Apple device can deliver that. And iBooks books sometimes include additional audio and video supplements not available anywhere else.)
Bob

Jan 8, 2013
I have a nook tablet, which also runs a variant of android. There is however a way to make it run full android, with the app market and all, without rooting or voiding your warranty. Shoot me a pm for details. Im sure I can figure out how to do the same on the fire.
Why not just put the money into a phone upgrade, then all those books fit into your back pocket. Just a thought. I keep about 3000 books on my phone.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
With my eBooks I write them with OpenOffice then export as a pdf(Adobe Free Reader). Set them up on my own webspace, tie them to a paypal button and then the user is given a link to download the eBook immediately. My only costs are the paypal fee and webspace of $5.00 per month. I then buy pipes and tobacco! :puffy:
I have a Free eBook if you would like test one on your Phone, ipad, Kindle or such app devices to see how they work. The outcome is pretty impressive. Android phones will open a pdf without an app.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A good reminder, I'll pick up the book this evening. I travel a lot and with 350,000 miles on my '08 Altima, at times, I feel like a trucker!
My e-reader input:

- I had a 1st Gen Kindle: awesome battery life, viewable in direct sunlight. You can email it books or download with a wireless network connection. Downside - no backlight for reading at night.

- The wife bought me a Kindle Fire. At first it was cool, color, web browsing, backlit, touch screen. But, battery life is short with the wireless turned on (pretty good "off"). I found that I would rather take a beating then use that as a web browser, the touch pad for typing drives me insane. I read books exclusively on it. I tried reading magazines and newspapers, but just cannot on an e-reader.

- Paper-White: I looked at one the other day at Staples. $99. It seems to do everything I need, which is read books. Battery life is suppose to be pretty good and you can read in in bright sunlight. I'm buying one and giving the wife my Fire for her Facebook, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.