PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So I've been pretty much buying in bulk exclusively now, and in perusing my latest bulk purchase, I came across the Newminster "Pipe Cut" blends, the Norway, Denmark, and Oriental. The Norway and Oriental particularly intrigue me, and from the descriptions on the website they kind of sound like "all natural codger blends". I'm thinking of throwing some Norway into my order, but this is another round of blends that I'm curious if anyone has any experience with. Good, bad, or otherwise? I'm looking for something a little milder to smoke on my days off and am trying some Lane HGL as well.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
The only one I've tried is the Oriental, bought it when I first started on the pipe and didn't know much about tobacco. It wasn't bad as I recall. Actually, there's still half a mason jar in my cellar and its creeping up on 2 years old, may have to revisit it this afternoon.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'm curious as well. I've seen them as available and in always looking for a new bulk to cellar.
-Jason

Jul 15, 2011
I pulled the trigger on the Norway, we'll see how it is when I get it. I've been leaning heavily to burley based smokes lately so I'm hoping that I'll like it. In any case, it was cheap and I didn't order very much of it, so if it's a flop it's no big deal. I'll weigh in when it gets here.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I can't speak for the blends in question but I smoke their deluxe Navy flake and it is quite good, especially for the money.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Being of primarily Norwegian heritage, I bought some a while ago. I enjoyed it. It's kind of like a higher quality old codger blend in my opinion - burley, Virginia, some Oriental. It isn't as heavy or strong as the Amsterdam, which has dark fired Kentucky if I recall correctly.
It is a pipe cut, but a thin one. I think it's easier to roll into a cigarette than Prince Albert. It isn't a shag cut, though.
I used it as both pipe and cig tobacco. It's pretty decent as both. You could also find better, but it would cost more. For an easy going blend, that is inexpensive, fits the bill just fine. If I had to pick between the PA or Norwegian for a cob full to smoke, I could go either way. Which I think speaks pretty highly of the Norwegian, since PA is so popular and has been around forever.
If you enjoy Old Dark Fired from MacBaren, the Amsterdam might be of interest. I think ODF is slightly higher quality, but the Amsterdam is awful cheap, and also makes a pretty intense cigarette.

Status
Not open for further replies.