PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Newminister SNF is an honest, simple, pure, satisfying Virginia flake that bite sensitive smokers can enjoy. Beautiful flakes with fresh pouch aroma of grass and sweet tang. It is just as good in quality as more expensive flakes. I sometimes want complexity in my smokes. Other times I'm looking for something that satisfies an itch for something down to earth. SNF satisfies, which is the most important, if intangible, quality I seek in a blend.
Pipe Used: Jepperson pot
Age When Smoked: fresh
Purchased From: P&C
Similar Blends: PS LNF.
Recommended

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The #400 and the #403 Round Slices are both great bulk buys. As you said, quality at a value. The #400 ages quite well so far too ... bonus! :)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I just finished 2 ounces. It's pleasant. If I smoked a lot more Virginias then I do, I would strongly consider keeping this on hand. Since lat blends dominate my smoking, I won't add it,but I would happily smoke it again.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just received a half ounce sample in my last order from SmokingPipes and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It's a very tasty Virginia flake. I'm definitely going to pick up eight ounces with my next order and see what some age does to it.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Interesting, I tried a bowl of the sample last week and found it a bit under whelming. I have to be in "that" mood for a straight VA. I'll have to come back to the sample again. Be nice to have another to slot in with Golden Sliced and LNF. LNF is my go to VA recently, and if you put SNF in that category brass, I'll definitely need to work on it further.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
It is probably to my tastes similar to Golden Sliced. Push me right now, and I might say I like SNF better than Golden sliced. I've also been smoking McClelland 2035 and I like it as well. It has some dark fired in the blend, if I recall correctly, and thus is a bit more substantial. More bass notes than Newmister 400 SNF, the too together amply demonstrate how drastically different two straight Virginias can be when contrasted.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
It is just as good in quality as more expensive flakes.
I totally agree! Same can be said for the 403 Round Slices...one of my favs for sure. :puffy:

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Delicious high quality basic pipe tobacco. Great by itself, great as a mixer. An added bonus - it's cheap too!

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Tried for the first time over the weekend and this was what I had expected SG Brown Sugar Flake to be like. That one disappointed but this was a big hit for me. Liked it at least initially much better than the BSF and Orlik Golden Sliced. I was looking for a really sweet VA that I didn't need to go searching for subtle flavors, just a good, sweet summertime VA flake. Like Cosmic said somewhere, this tastes like it's been soaked in honey :)

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I was going to open a thread about it. Well, here we already have one so no need for that. I smoked Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake for the second time yesterday evening and this is truly an amazing Va flake. It has sweet taste with butter and caramel notes. Every time you take a puff it feels like eating a farm made butter.

Status
Not open for further replies.