PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I got Newminster Navy Flake off of the Virginia Cakes and Flakes Sampler for Pipes and cigars. IMHO - that was totally worth the money spent. All the components of that sampler are good.
I just have a quick question. New minster flake is very sugary. Some have said that the tobacco needs aging, I like it the way it is. I've ordered another half a pound to cellar though so I can Try it later on with a year of age. Is there some kind of dressing on this tobacco? It is so sweet. Maybe they put some sugar water in it or something. Does anyone know where it was grown? If you haven't tried this flake, now is the time. It is smooth, sweet, and refreshing to the palate.My wife is happy with the room note. She says I don't smell too bad when I smoke it. A lot of reviews say that this tobacco is one- dimensional. It can be, but the more I smoke it the more I tend to disagree. And did I mention, it burns really well. I like it crispy after about 15 minutes under a lamp.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Newminster seems to have some really great offerings at reasonable prices.

I'll have to order some of the Navy Flake...I've got some Superior Slices that I love, and their Ultimate English is very nice too. This month's sale makes a pound even less than a 14 oz can of codger blend @ P&C.

This was my take on the flake, here.

It's honey, probably with another commercial sweetener to help prevent mold. I love this flake for working in the garden in the summer, very tasty.

There's no way to tell where exactly this was grown, as they are usually bought at auction and blended by the tobacconist to taste. This is what makes single leaf blends tough to keep consistent in exact flavors from year to year, and even the age of the flake affects the taste, as well as year to year the same crop grown in the same field can taste different. Thus, this is another function of the casing, like when cheap wines or whiskeys will blend wines or whiskeys together to get a consistent taste over the years.

Regardless, this is a great and affordable flake. I have five pounds set aside, awaiting warmer weather.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
In the "recommend a bulk" threads that pop up now and then I usually give a nod to Newminster.
Good quality for the price and a product that improves with age.
Other than the PS LBF & LNF I can't think of a better bulk for padding the cellar.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I was gifted some Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake and, after smoking a couple bowls, ordered some for my humble cellar. A delicious straight Virginia flake that's a great value.

Status
Not open for further replies.