PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
For those of you out there who, like me, have precious little extra cash to spend, but would still like to stock up before the tobaccapolypse hits, you may wish to give some of the cheaper blends a try.
For me, that amounted to some aros like Newminster Black Danish (not goopy or artificial tasting and offers a decent nic hit for an aro) and some English blends like Newminster's "English Luxus".
IMHO, Newminster blends represent one of the better values out there. For ex. 5 lbs of English Luxus costs about $121, compare that to a premium English which may cost as much as $400 for 5 lbs worth. And while it maybe not in the same league as some these premium blends, they are not a bad smoke at all and they really stretch one's dollar.
Consider that many people in other countries pay as much as $60 for a tin that may cost as little as $6 in the U.S. right now. If those of us in the U.S. faced these same types of prices (maybe sooner than we think) I personally would have to drastically curtail my pipe smoking. So for me, the cheaper blends mean I may be able to enjoy this hobby for a bit longer.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
The only one that really caught my attention was the Superior Round Slices. It's a pretty nice Va/Bur coin for the price. $35/lb or so. My only real gripe would be that it needs a little age but you're building a cellar, so it's a perfect fit.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I hear you Six. Here in Canada my pouch of MacBaren Plumcake cost me $28 when I can buy it online for less than $10. Stock up while you can folks, trust me it's worth it. My plan in January is to buy as much as I can and also pick up the max amount of tobacco when I visit Buffalo. My problem is trying to buy so many different blends instead of stocking up on the ones I know I love. I'm going to concentrate on stocking up on favourites and maybe adding only 1 new blend per order. I'm going to explore the sutliff blends next order as they are quite inexpensive as well.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My problem is trying to buy so many different blends instead of stocking up on the ones I know I love.
It is tough.
Last year I began buying small quantities of as many blends as I could (using tobaccoreviews.com as a place to start). I have kept a record of each one and recorded my impressions, nic strength, etc. So far I have sampled about 65 different tobaccos. By doing so, I was able to determine my favorite blends in a relatively short amount of time and focus on the less expensive ones.
If I had a better financial situation, I would buy other blends, but Newminster blends have allowed me to build a cellar that is 3 to 4 times larger than if I had gone with pricier tobaccos.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
My problem is that I'm all over the map in what I like. I love many of the codger burleys, but I also love va's and vapers, now with the cold weather I'm loving latakia and English blends. My funds are limited in what I can buy as well and I've only placed one order in the last 3 months (TAD is killing me right now). I'm going to do an order of all Sutliff blends to see what I like of theirs (I hear Blend #5 is a really nice English) and then I can stock up on some of their blends. 8oz can for under $20 is damn great pricing if you ask me. That said I also have 2 tubs of CH in the cellar and I'll add another 2 or 3 as soon as I can.
Oh ya, factor in the issue of international shipping and it complicates the order process even further!

Status
Not open for further replies.