PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
This is just a first impressions from me.
The bag note to me was a kind of old school pipe tobacco. It had that earthy Burley scent predominate with a bit of the grassy hay and fruit scents of the Virginias.
I used the Per Jensen packing method of taking some coins (about 4) stacking them on top of one another and then folding them in half. That then got stuffed into the bowl and packed down to my typical firmness.
As with a lot of flakes/coins while using a fold and stuff method it took a little bit to get the bowl going. Once it did get going it burned very nice and even very slow and cool.
The flavors hit me right away. It was a combination of honey, grassy/hay, molasses, brown sugar, and the earthy nuttiness. On the retrohale the nuttiness is more evident. It has a bit of a spice to it. I think Shane Ireland once said that the Dark Fired Kentucky can some times pinch hit for Perique and to me I find that evident here.
From the first bowl I'm pretty pleased with the blend. It'll be interesting to see what happens as I make my way through the 2oz I bought. Curious to see what happens as it sorta dries out a bit.

Reactions: Singlebevel

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Early on in my pipe smoking endeavor, I determined to find some good quality, more affordable, bulk compressed tobacco.
I've tried both Newminster's 403 and their 400.
I find the coins to be fun to use, but a little harsh in taste.

At this stage in my development, I find PS LTF to be the best value to me, in flaked tobaccos.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am glad that you like it.
I was told to jar it for a year minimum to let it settle a bit. As a result it is now hiding somewhere in my cellar. I may have to go dig it out!

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Love this stuff! I have been keeping it in my daily rotation and i am also aging a good bit. Wonderful stuff.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I want to say that was a great review! I haven't tried this and probably won't for awhile, but the review notes make me think of the tobacco I am smoking and the flavors I pull from those. Nice!

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I have always been a fan of the Superior Navy slices, but have yet to try this one. Sounds like I need to. Thanks for the review!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Has anyone smoked both this Newminster 403 and the Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye? Can you compare the two? The PS blend is one of my jars and I find it good, both on its own, or supplemented by other blends.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
MSO, I’d have to say they are more different than similar. For me 403 is a great balance between sweetness and strength while LBF is much more subtle in flavor.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I put away 5 pounds of the 403 last year, after sampling some three year old stock that I found tucked away in the cellar. Although the blend did not impress me when fresh, after three years in the jar it was wonderfully rich, smooth and flavorful.

Reactions: Singlebevel

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I have a taster on the way - from the pictures I've seen there's some real sexy birdseye in those coins. I have never tried LBF because I'm not the biggest cavendish fan, but I'm really excited to get my hands on this one.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I bought a pound of 403 Superior Round Slices in 2012 that I jarred and have never smoked. Guess I should start rooting through the ole cellar... 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.