PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Was wondering if any forum members have tried this tobacco. I bought a pound yesterday for aging. It's everything I like. That being a pure virginia flake. Not much on tobaccoreview. Any thoughts? BTW it is extremly inexpensive.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I have purchased several pounds of this flake and put into cellar. I have some out for now and have found it a very nice VA flake. Its good now, and it can only get better. At the price, its a super bargain.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
I have no idea but I'm ordering 8 oz. in my next TAD. I just got some of the 403 and love it (thanks for the heads up rothnh), you should keep it in mind for your next order.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I bought a pound of it last fall and jarred some to age and some to smoke. I really like this stuff. I like it better than Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake and for the price you can't beat it.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I bought 8 oz a few weeks ago and is is hands down terrific. Rub it out, fold and stuff, it doesn't matter. Burns down to a fine ash and taste great. I'm very impressed. Might have passed LBF as best bargain smoke out there IMHO. I also agree that it will age terrifically. I'm going to be stocking up on more and trying the round slices.

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
dark fired Kentucky bullseye
That's it, I give up. I'm ordering a pound and a half of the 403.
How does the 400 compare to Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake? I have a pound and a half of LNF in the cellar already. Is it worth it to go in for both? I love VaPers and Va's in general. I considered going in for a box of Bullseye Flake, but I'm not a big cavendish fan, so it's low on my priorities. The same idea with a Kentucky core is right up my alley, especially if it has that Kentucky nic hit.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Arise, thread, arise! I command thee to awake from thy fitful slumber...
I recently received a few ounces of this, and wanted to give this delicious flake a little more recognition. I assumed it was a direct clone of PS Luxury Navy Flake, but this is a different animal - closer to PS Luxury Twist flake, except tastier - possibly even sweeter. It has that same delightful "buttered toast with honey" flavor I enjoy in many Mac Baren blends, which isn't surprising given this is manufactured by that company. The room-note is delightful as well - a winner all around. :puffy:

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Just tried it for the first time yesterday. Not much to say, except wow it stayed lit well, I had to leave the pipe for a few minutes to check the mail and when I got back it did not need to be re-lit! I'm new to virginia's so I find them very inconspicuous on their own. Maybe I'll have another bowl of it today..

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
It is good stuff. I was surprised by how much I enjopyed it and it is on my cellar list. And it is a great bargain to boot.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I thought Newminster was a Stokkebye endeavor. Some of their blends are exactly the same as PS and they even have the same numberings
It's all very confusing - from what I understand, Villger was distributing PS blends for STG. When STG bought Lane, the distribution of PS blends switched to them. Villiger then worked with Mac Baren to create reasonable facsimiles of the blends they had lost, with some changes here and there. Hopefully someone with a little more insight can parse these commercial machinations for us.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I have tried a little that I got in a trade, and remember it fondly. I will likely add a bit to my next order.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I jarred up a pound of the #400 yesterday afternoon. A fine smoke!! I find it to be more balanced and less tempermental than the PS LTF.

IMO when companies start gobbling up their competition, we are the ones that lose. These companies are all swapping sisters so often that it's hard to tell which inbred new company belongs to whom.
Yep, honey sweet, almost aromatic in flavor and aroma, but just heavily cased in honey. Actually, after handling a fresh flake you can taste it on your fingers. but smokes smooth.
Virginias can be tricky to get the hang of, flavor-wise. This one at least has that added sweet element to help a new Virginia fan get a foothold in what to look for on the tongue. I used to force myself to smoke MacBarons VA#1 in exploring these golden Virginias, but once I found this one, the #1 will never be smoked by me again. This one doesn't bite nearly as bad, and the flavor meets you half way.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I used to force myself to smoke MacBarons VA#1 in exploring these golden Virginias,but once I found this one, the #1 will never be smoked by me again.
I did much the same thing, and when my half pound of Virginia #1 was gone, it was not replaced. I've come to really like both the Newminster and Peter Stok. Navy Flakes. Also like the Newm. #403 Slices, the PS Lux Bulls Eye Flake, and the PS Lux Twist Flake. I'm smoking F&K Lancer's Slices today...I'm a real flakey guy.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Hmm Lancers sliced, i just looked it up and it looks very intriguing , tell me more..

And its cold here too..

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lancers-slices-bulk

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lancer-slices

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/fampk-lancer-slices-review
Good stuff, leathery, smokey latakia heavy without being a latbomb. The Virginias are sweet and flavorful as well, playing really well with the latakia. I was convinced it had to be a GLP blend when I first smoked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.