PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I have been leaning on Newminster 400 Navy Flake but after cleaning my pipes -- again -- I think it's tarring them up. What's your experience with this one?
I like the 403 Superior Round Slices better.
What Newmtnisters are you into, or do you pass them up for something better?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey Joseph ... nice to see you around! :)
I cellar the same two from Newminster and enjoy the #403 Superior Round Slices most.

Are there better Va Flakes than #400? Sure.

However, for the price, this one is perfect for cellar padding and #400 is much better with some age.
The only comparable bulks for value, IMO, would be PS LNF and LBF.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I was perfectly happy with Newminster Ultimate English, the first lat blend I ever tried. It wasn't until I smoked some of the premium tinned stuff that I realized that Newmie's might be a tad on the 'harsh' side, yet, perfectly enjoyable and only by comparison.

I smoke it pure, and I mix it with other stuff. Best o the rest works good. Varying ratios resulting in slight taste differences.

The Slices will be in my pipe regularly. I think they're the best priced quality VaBur out there.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
I enjoy the Newminster English Luxus (17). Maybe not as much as some of the more expensive tobaccos, (Balkan Sasieni comes first to mind), but you can get Newminster for $1.28/ounce (buying 16 oz) where Balkan Sasieni runs about $4.00/oz. I can justify a lot more Newminster (as long as I have a few other blends to go to sometimes).
Incidently, the Newminster Ultimate English was a problem for me. It gave me serious tongue bite which lasted 24 hours. That's kept me from ordering any of the other Newminsters, but after reading this, maybe I should try them.

dvorak

Lurker
Dec 1, 2014
Anyone have 'Imperial Nougat?' I purchased this off P&C a while back but it wasn't to my liking. It just seemed like another poor performing aromatic that is all too common. (Hopefully I'm not starting a firestorm by saying that.) It just seemed like it had poor taste to me. I'll give it another go sometime, if anything changes, I'll modify this post.
Not that I wrote them off entirely, but should I give Newminister another go with another blend?

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have some Superior Navy Flake that I jarred up in 2012. Is that the '400'?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
i am enjoying the 403 as an alternative to 3 nuns thanks to a recommendation from this forum, its cheap in bulk, it tastes close enough to 3 nuns to work as a substitute and i dont get bitten by it!
by the way, i see smoking pipes has 20% off their newminster bulk right now
isaac

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I felt the 400 was admirably cheap, but much inferior to any of the PS flakes (LNF being the most direct comparison). And those are still cheap anyway - the difference between $22 and $28 really isn't bad when you're talking about a pound of tobacco.
I haven't tried the 403, but may give it a whirl sometime. When it comes to inexpensive Burleys, I tend to look to MacBaren. Their lower priced tins (not the HH ones) run under $2/oz. I'm just finishing up a tin of Norwood (a VA/Bur) and quite enjoyed it.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Just enjoyed some 403 slices over lunch. Love the little things. I'll always have a half pound of those or so on hand.
The 400... It burns nice, and I love the flavor till mid bowl. Then I have to let it go real slow to maintain that flavor or it gets dull and ashy on me. Maybe I just wasn't practicing good pipe hygiene. I got lazy. My Stanwell, normally a nice wide-open draw, would go narrow till it rejected my pipe cleaners. Gotta be I just was being hard on it.
I have cute the 400 to cubes before. Seems like too much hassle, though other flakes that's what I always do. Mostly I just pinch off half a stick, twist it in my fingers till it shreds, then fold it in and poke it down. I give it a few false lights to let it level. Then once it's going, it's going well. Maintains its ember and lasts longest of just about anything I smoke.
Never the same gunking up issue with 403. I like the slices whole and flat in a big bowl, but at lunch today, I had just my tiny-bown lunch meerschaum-lined Grabow on me. Very nice in that one (one of my favorite little pipes, though I got it used at just a few dollars. Love that thing!) For that bowl, I have to shred the first slice and drop it in, then sort of mangle the next couple to get a good fill. Won't hold more than that, for sure. But 403 doesn't fail to please no matter how I smoke it.
Whatever else I order, these two are always included, and have become my staples. Other tobaccos, I just smoke those for variety or to try a new one, like the Viprati (sp?) I just got from P&C, last order.
Gentlemen, as always, thank you so much for your answers. Always a good place to ask my questions. I wouldn't turn anywhere else for them, I don't think.
:)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I just rubbed out a few slices and mixed it with a nice mellow cavendish blend and it's still delicious and maybe even more.

oldsalt

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Florida Keys
For Christmas, my good wife, I mean Santa Claus, got me everything on my list: a Peterson Dublin Castle #230 and some English blends. The tobacco assortment included Newminster No. 17 English Luxury, No. 52 Ultimate English, and No. 306 English Oriental. I had read some good reviews about the Newminster blends and the price was a no-brainer. Santa apparently agreed. The pipe I got I absolutely adore, it's just a wee sized bent billiard, but the Newminster... Granted, my experience with English blends is limited but tongue bite never seemed an issue with any of the English I've sampled. Unfortunately, the "Mac Bite" I've had with MacBaren aromatics apparently crossed over to their Newminster English blends as well. It's too bad because the English Oriental hit all the right buttons except in the bite department. The English Luxury and Ultimate English were okay, but with the bite, not worth another purchase. For English bulks, I'm sticking with Stokkebye. Which reminds me that I need to order some more "Proper English". Just my two cents...

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
He who is no longer named stated that Newminster should be cellared for 2-3 years and then it will be Very Very tasty.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
As far as the "Great taste, more filling" (as in gunks up your pipe), see Ralph William Larsen's Doctor of Pipes: Strange and Loving Communiques from Inside the Briar Brotherhood, the chapter titled: The King Kong of Cake. Deals with the dilemma you might have going on...

Status
Not open for further replies.