Newly Restored Barling 903 (Bent Egg) Sandblast

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Bill Nichols
  • Latest reply from Bill Nichols
  1. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Picked up s lovvvvely Barling that'd had plem=nty of TLC from a seller in Britain. Hey. Jesse, wake up -- right up your alley!

And a nice front-on view showing off some of the grain!

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is it a Danish made? They have some great shapes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love that egg shape and the finish. The brim looks unusually thin. Has the pipe been over-reamed, or does the bowl thicken further down? For its size, I'd expect fairly thick walls.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Nice looking snag! This pipe was made by Eric Nording for Imperial in the late 1970's. Should give you a great smoke.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't think it's been over-reamed, & it dies thicken deeper down. Very comfortable in the hand; different from my other Barlings, which have usually had more traditional British shapes.

Interesting, Jesse, didn't know that, thanks, & yeah, it does smoke very well indeed!

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Very lovely! Love the Danish aesthetic!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice looking snag! This pipe was made by Eric Nording for Imperial in the late 1970's. Should give you a great smoke.
    Eric Nording carved some pipes for Barling? I did not know this, and now I feel like I should hunt down one or two for my Nording collection. What do I need to look for, to find one?

Bill, that's a lovely pipe. Lovely shape to that one. Enjoy the heck out of it!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can betcherbutt, anthony. Oddly enough, for all my bents (at least 70% of my collection), I've never had an egg till now. Kind of an odd feel at first, but I've gotten used to it. Good for use while cleaning up the captain's mess (You should see his mess.), shuttling cannon balls, etc. Skipper says he might start letting me use tobacco next month.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Anthony,
    Any Barling made in Denmark, any Barling "International" pipes, were made by Nording for Imperial. I'm guessing approximately 1976 thru 1979, but I haven't done the research as of yet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

In 1978 or was it 1980 I was in a Army and Navy store at Victoria Street,London. There was a video running ( not very known at that time) about Barling pipes now being made in Denmark and they showed a factory and the pipes were handled with white
    gloves. And then from a shop, a man bought a Barling pipe and left the shop...…..it was the shop assistent who came out from my tobacconists shop on the main street of Copenhagen.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. That must have been an experience.....

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sasquatch, alaskanpiper, jaytex969, steveg11, pylorns, mikethompson, mso489, elpfeife, dcon, litup, brooklynpiper