PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
hello all i have taken up a pipe in march of this year in the hopes of quitting cigarettes i have tried this a couple of diffrent times with no success but this is the longest i have stuck with pipe smoking.i have a total of one cob 2 Grabows one wessex and one peterson. I use filters in my cob and Grabows. now here are my questions

1 I puff all day long and pack the same pipe all day. is this bad for my pipes?

2 i tend to leave my pipes laying all over the house. Do they really need to be kepy in a pipe stand?

3 As i stated if a pipe comes w/ a filter i tend to use a filter can i smoke it without a filter and not mess up the stem?

4 i am trying a bunch of diffrent house blends from a local cigar shop that has a little pipe section and i tend to smoke what ever i buy in all of my pipes till i get the next blend

5 and lastly when in a bind and ya cant get to the tobacco shop half and half or carter hall?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Using one pipe for several bowls a day is probably OK although I generally let mine rest a day or two between smokes. I also got into the habit of inserting a pipe cleaner throught hte stem into the bowl after every smoke. Helps control moisture and goo. Pipe stands are nice for keeping your pipes in order and in an upright postion so that moisture doese not stay in the stems.

When I get a pipe with a filter the first thing I do is toss it. Even with my cobs. I just don't like filters but it is a personal choice.

Half & Half is a long time blend and I always liked it. Same for Carter Hall. In fact, I smoke C&D's Gentleman Caller because it reminds my of the original Half&Half with deer tongue in it. Not sure if the "new" half & Half contains deer tongue.

Good luck with your piping.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
1. I haven't done it particularly much, but I have a feeling they might suck up a lot of juices without being able to dry if you smoke the same pipe all day and start smelling/tasting bad. No idea though, just a feeling.

2. Not really, it's just convenient and looks nice.

3. Yep, I do this with a couple of pipes.

4. Not really a question, but I generally keep within a genre per pipe since it'll enhance the flavours. Not necessary, of course.

5. No idea, I'm not from the US. :)

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Ditch the filters. All they do is get soggy and smell bad. You can smoke a cob again as soon as it's cooled down and you've cleaned it.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
1. No. It's a myth. I do it all the time even though I own many pipes. There was a time when a gentleman owned only one or two pipes and they did just fine. I have been known to smoke a single pipe all day long and have never had a bad experience doing so.
2. It makes it much easier to find them when you want them.
3. Ditch the filter.
4. Ok, different blends, but I don't see and actual question here. Smoke what you like.
5. Half and Half and Carter Hall are both good codger blends. Pick the one you like best. Personally, I like them both but like H&H a tad better and smoke it almost daily.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
You should rest your pipe after a full day of smoking . I would toss the filter .You do not need a pipe rack , but they are nice to have so you know which pipe has been resting the most . I believe as you progress and start to pick up nuances in the blends you probably dedicate a pipe to blend .But that being said , you are doing everything right as long as it feels right to you . 8)

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
1. Whatever feels & tastes good to you

2. see #1

3. see #1

4. see #1

5. see #1
Good advice from everyone, and remember the most important thing is your personal pleasure!

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
thanks all i did ditch the filter in my cob someked it all day today at work enjoyed it very much it was easier to enhale when i needed that extra nic boost

now does it need a rest for a full day because when i got home i switched to my pete and was planning useing the cob as my work pipe i work constrution and i would hate to to break my good pipe at work by dropping it

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Good call. I 86ed the filter in my cob today and it was fine. I also started carrying a cob in my work kit in case of breakage. Packing a cob half way makes for a quick work smoke too if I desire to have one.

andrewtpoland

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
1 I do this all the time. I pick out a pipe for the day, mostly based on what I'm doing, and stick with it. I smoke my meerschaum whenever home. No complaints yet.

2 I have a pipe stand and I still leave them lying all about the house. It is nice in that in the missle of the stand is a big jar for tobacco. Personal aesthetic trumps.

3 The filter, as you seem to have found, isn't truly necessary. It's a matter of taste.

4 That's fine. I like to do a thorough cleaning in between blends just to make sure nothing strange happens.

5 I haven't had Carter Hall. I have had Half and Half though and I prefer it of the OTC blends.
Happy smoking. I did the same thing as you and after a while you forget how to even hold a cigarette!

Also, Baron Samedi, where y@?

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I smoke the same pipe all day long.

Every once in awhile I'll switch to a different pipe just for giggles...but if I decide on one pipe, I pretty much stay with it.
Ex: for the past 2 years I've been smoking nothing but my 47 Kaywoodie and that is all day, all night, however, I draw real light and I also get zero gurgle so of course that means the bowl doesn't get real hot on me either, if the bowl gets too hot, put it down for an hour or so, and it should be just fine.

Every once in a while I may feel like smoking a different pipe, and I will, but I always seem to go right back to my Kaywoodie.
When I first started smoking I only had one pipe, so I'm used to doing that anyway.
I like filters in pipes that are designed to use filters.
Keeping the stem/mouthpiece in the up position is a very good idea, so either pipe stands, or some other way of elevating the stem is good to do.

I personally have these little clay bowls I get at the Indian grocery store near my house, and a pipe fits right in there nicely with the stem in a slightly up position.
As far as half and half, and C.H., I personally don't like either one...I'm an aromatic smoker only.

Status
Not open for further replies.