PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Well I said I wasn't going to have another pet once the little poodle that we have now goes, but the Mrs. and the twins stopped at the Animal Shelter and this little guy was scheduled for "execution" this morning. So needless to say meet "Rebel" the newest member of the Morrison Clan. He is a 3 month old mixed breed with plenty of energy, hence the reason for the blurred pic!! I couldn't get him to stand sill long enough for anything else. He made himself right at home and ate like his belly button was touching his backbone. He is a very lovable little guy and I am already attached to him. So he is here to stay!!
rebel-600x600.jpg

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
This is why I don't let my mrs out around easily acquirable dogs! Hah I joke, he looks lovely, sounds like your mrs did the poor chap a good turn.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Well done, Gary and family! Rebel is a lucky pooch, and I'm sure will give as much love as he gets!
-- Pat

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Gary, thank you for posting this and thank you for rescuing Rebel and giving him the good home he deserves. It's kind of ironic you posted this, as i was just discussing the shelter/overpopulation issue with dogs on another thread earlier today. I said it over there and a lot of this will mirror what i wrote earlier, but oh well. I am an animal lover, and a dog lover especially, as i truly believe they are "man's best friend". It is such a shame that the overpopulation of dogs (and cats too) has gotten as severe as it has. I always try and advocate for the adoption of animals from shelters before breeders. I have no issues with responsible educated breeders and people who buy their pets from them, only uneducated backyard breeders who have no business doing what they do. These uneducated and irresponsible "breeders" are a contributing factor, amongst other things, to the overpopulation problem. A great canine (or feline) friend and family member can come from a breeder or a shelter, the only difference is the dogs in shelters (no kill shelters excluded) are on death row a lot of the time, especially if they are (unfairly) deemed an "aggressive" breed or display aggressive traits. Almost every time the aggressive behavior is a result of human abuse or neglect, so a lot of these judgments that are essentially life or death are subjective and it is heartbreaking.
I don't want to rant and ramble on too long on your thread here, Gary, but it is a truly awesome thing you did by rescuing this little guy and this warmed my heart and made my day with you posting this thread. One of my pitbulls was very close to the death table, as she stopped eating and drinking and basically gave up on life (previously abused and found on the street). It is one of the most rewarding things in the world to take a dog within an inch of being put down and giving him/her a new and better life. I really believe they appreciate it and they know what you did for them. Dogs are a lot more intuitive and intelligent than we give them credit for.
Best of luck to you and your family's new member, Rebel and do us a favor and post pics of him from time to time. You can never have too many cute and funny dog pics (ahem, PMon)! I do not know you personally, Gary, but i'd give you the shirt off my back if i saw you in need of it, brother. What you did says a lot about the kind of person you are, IMHO, and you can tell a lot about someone by how they treat animals.
"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Yep.....he's a keeper!! Awesome job you all did and I think they (animals) know what was about to happen to them in the shelter. I mean I have kids and I've seen Wonder Dog!! Lol

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
What a beautiful dog and a great story. So glad you saved your new family member from an untimely death. May you all have many wonderful years together.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats Gary! Just a coincidence, but we're also adopting. Ours will be an 8 year old cocker spaniel from a friend of a friend who needs to find homes for her two dogs. We're taking one and a friend of ours is taking the other.
Good luck to you and Rebel.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Congratulations on being chosen by Rebel! Everything happens for a reason, and you got lucky today.
I can't let my wife get within 3 miles of the pound before she starts crying - she wants them all. Gracie was our most expensive rescue, but all of our pets have been "throw aways", and all have been wonderful family members. Congratulations again!

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
What a cute little fella. Congrats! I totally agree with what Corey said,
I really believe they appreciate it and they know what you did for them.
Kind of goes back to the whole "a friend in need is a friend indeed" mentality or at least that's how things used to be. Nonetheless, that's my take on it. I've always had a dog growing up. In fact, as soon as I finished boot camp and got to my first duty station I went straight to Massachusetts picked up the dog and headed right back down to Virginia. She goes everywhere I go :D

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Thank you all Gentlemen for the kind words . I am a animal lover and agree with everyone's comments.
@ brad thank you Sir I Agee win win especially for my family .

@ layinpipe I feel your passion and agree my friend dogs are way smarter than given credit .

@ six congrats on your dog and thank you for stepping up and giving a dog a home for your friend .

@ sailorjeremy thank you for your service to this great nation .

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Gary, you did justice to an unjust world today. I know he will have a good home now. Thank you for saving the little fellow. It warms my heart to know you saved him from certain death, at your own "expense". May Rebel have many good and happy Years. I raise my pipe to you tonight gary!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
good looking dog. Glad you could save him and add a new family member! I have 3 dogs and wouldnt know what to do with myself with out them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a great little soul he is. I want to get an old sock and play tug of war with him right now. I don't want

to spay and neuter these little monkeys, but they're just too efficient at making more adorable little ones.

He looks so smart and fit. Great coat and color. I'd say, sir, you have an Albanian Highlands Stalking Hound

there, pure pedigree! (I always like to make up breeds for hybrid vigor pups.) Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.