12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just getting over a bout of strep, and today was my first bowl since last Wednesday. It's curious how I could tell by the taste of the tobacco that I was getting sick, long before I felt bad. Anyways, I managed to finish my latest custom pipe band and moved my tobaccos out of the stack of styrofoam chests and boxes and into their new cabinet in my smoking room. I should be back to business, picking up on where I left off on designing a pipe pin and getting caught up on orders. Working for yourself is tough. When you get sick, you can't call someone in. You just don't eat till you get back to work. Anyways...

This was an old Oldencott, German pipe. They were rates as average, back in the day, but after cleaning it up, boring it out, and making a better stem for it, it smokes great. Funny how a half-rate stem drags the performance of a pipe down. I also added a silver band with my signature leaf on it. I inbedded a piece of boulder opal that I cut, and made the button to my liking.

I love these opal crystals. Cutting them from their host iron ore is a lot like I imagine carvibg briar to be. You just don't know what you're going to get as you start chopping the stone away. This one has a cold blue opalescence, which contrasts nicely with the red stain.
Also, after a living with piles of boxes and styrofoam full of jars, tins, and other tobaccianna, I finally ordered a cabinet to hold it all. Besides spreadsheets, I had no way of knowing what I had already, because the boxes made finding a particular blend into a giant Jenga game. I also have to enter a few dozen pounds that I jarred before I was keeping track on my pipe app.
At a tad over 120lbs, I am now going to start smoking from the jars, and only add new things that I know for sure will benefit from age.

The top shelves...

The bottom shelves. The very bottom is almost all Red Cake and VA #1.

I still have to work in a few more tins to the mix. Organization is not my strong suit.

Happy smokes, ya'll. I like this picture. I dropped about ten pounds while sick, and I think it made me look a tad younger.

I hope you enjoyed the picture show. :puffy:

Thank you Gentlemen, I just knocked the ashes out of this one from this morning's aromatic. I know, I know, an aromatic? The kids don't like going to school smelling like a pool hall, so I sent them to school smelling like blackberries. Ha ha. I now have two pipes devoted to aromatics. My other one was getting too much of a workout from these weekday morning aro smokes.

Thanks again!

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Good Stuff!
I would love to be able to do modifications like that.
Also..
I've been instructed by my attorney to let you know that posting your cellar has placed you my Zombie-pocalypse visit list. It's a select group, but your cellar qualifies you.
Disclaimer complete.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice work on the pipe. I wish I could do banding work like that.
That's one hell of a cellar stash. You might want to think about reinforcing those shelves. They're looking a lil strained. 8O

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Very nice! I love the work you did on that pipe. Makes it a one of a kind beauty for sure. Well done!! :clap:

Ha ha Dave, I noticed that in the photo also. But, it must just be the way the camera was held, because they aren't like that when you look at it.
My trusty machete is my zombie weapon of choice. It doesn't run out of bullets. Ha ha. I'm expecting to use most of this as currency at that point.
Woods- swoosh, right over my head.
Thanks again guys. Happy smokes!!! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.