PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I received these in the mail today. Four are from Marty Pulvers over at Pulvers' briar. Great guy and I encourage you to keep an eye out on his deals they are simply amazing. I got the following four pipes for less than $36 with shipping. Sorry for my lengthy descriptions but I believe that each pipes needs to be described to be fully appreciated.
1. Cassano Roma 715. Very smart looking pipe with pretty good grain. It is large but not too large and feels great in the hand. Wide open draw.
DSC_0028.jpg

2. Fiammata 915KS- It is marked Savinelli Product meaning it is a Savinelli Second. Upon further research I found out it is a second of the Giubileo D'Oro (Golden Jubilee) line which is categorized by its straight grain and flawlessness. This one has a few fills on the bottom but has very pretty flame grain. The Giubileo D'Oro line runs into the hundreds of dollars for one new so this second is a hell of a deal at less than $9. Like the others it has a wide open draw (which I am very much a fan of).
DSC_0045.jpg

3. Chacom Alize 297. I wish I had photographed the other side as it has beautiful birdseye. I didn't realize my error until looking back at the pictures. It is a beautiful pipe except for the bare spots where the grain falls off on this side. Large but not overly large. Sure to be a great smoker with a wide open draw.
DSC_0048.jpg

4. Jost's. I believe this pipe is from a B&M called Jost's run by Ms. Henry A Jost. This is a very large pipe. It is eight inches long and the bowl is about two inches high. I am pretty sure it will be a cool smoker as the length. This is about as close to a churchwarden as I have come so I hope it is a pleasant experience.
DSC_0051.jpg

This last pipe did not come from Marty. It came from a fellow piper over on ChristianPipeSmokers.net whom posted saying he wanted to give away a pipe as he is leaving to be a missionary soon. I was the first one to respond so he said he would package it up and send it to me. I received a rather large box today and was perplexed as to what it could be. Upon opening it I found the pipe we had discussed but he had also included about 11 ounces of pipe tobacco that he said he could not take with him on the field. He wrote a nice letter explaining it all and even included a pipe nail. Very nice fellow and not a bad carver. He was giving away this particular pipe because, as previously stated, he could not take it with him on his trip but also because it was from a piece of briar that had so many flaws he had to make the bowl walls super thin (the pipe has no flaws now). It is a gorgeous pipe regardless.
DSC_0035.jpg

Picture of the tobaccos, included are 7oz PS Optimum, about 1oz Balkan Sasieni, 1oz Consolation, a little over 1oz of a no name blend (unless I just missed the name written somewhere) and about 1oz of Madagascar. Very generous guy.
DSC_0002-1.jpg

Thanks for reading my novel haha. :puffpipe:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Wow! You must be living right! You hit the jackpot on these ...all of 'em! :clap:

ps. Thanks for the pix too! I know we all appreciate the effort.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Wow! You must be living right! You hit the jackpot on these ...all of 'em! [:clap:]
Haha either that or I am about to die. I told my girlfriend today that I have had too good of 'luck' my whole life and eventually it will run out. But for now I will enjoy it. :lol:
No problem on the pictures. It is what I like to do in my spare time but I did rush these a bit as I have a lot of work to do tonight.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have heard that the Cassanos are really good smokers and not too expensive either. I've sort of been looking for one myself. The one you got looks really nice.

westcoastrich

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2011
You did indeed hit the jackpot, what a haul. Marty has some great deals on pipes, he is, and has been a treasure to our hobby for many years, a true gentleman in every aspect.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Some very pretty pipes for your stable!...The generosity of many pipe smokers never ceases to amaze me.... :clap:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
They are all great looking pipes Wallbright. Congrats.
Marty Pulvers is a real cool guy.
Do me a favor if any of you guys place an order with him, and please tell him you heard about him here. Give him a link to the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.