PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Samuel Gawith FVF was a favorite of mine for a long while until about 6-8 years ago when it became unobtainium and I gave up trying to find it.
I recently saw some at local B&M and picked up four tins. After begin without for many years, I was extremely excited. It's good, but seems different than I remember. I thought that maybe it's just not aged enough, but the flakes are darker than I recall (and thicker), but the taste isn't as sweet or complex. There's also a LOT more nicotine than I recall. I used to smoke this regularly before I knew anything about drying, aging, and all the "proper" ways to prepare flakes - I used to just jam some into the pipe and lit an exorbitant number of matches to get it started.
Has anyone else recognized such differences in the recent FVF, or is it just me looking back with rosey glasses?

A blend like this is most likely hard to keep consistent in flavor. It's a tobacco that changes in flavor with any changes to soil, fertilizer, environment, the way it's harvested, flue cured, aged... lots of steps that can change flavors. Then, this is also a blended flake, so keeping all components consistent is probably a challenge as well. I'm also not sure about what this is cased in, but there's that.
But, I notice this one is always a little finicky for me. I have bought it in one pound increments over the years, and have quite a bit set back, bulk and tins. But, when I put it into rotation, I never get a consistent flavor. I do alternate folding and stuffing, cube cut, and rubbing it out, but I don't get a consistent enjoyable experience from it. Eh, sometimes it can give me a great smoke. But, more likely it's just a mediocre smoke for me. Sometime I can pull some tasty flavors, and sometimes it's just a smoke. Of all of the straight Virginias that I smoke, it's a definite not my favorite. But, I am not sure how much of it is objective or subjective.
Maybe hold onto it till one of those moments when you feel like you want a light smoke.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
I once heard somebody talk about a transition in manufacture from Samuel Gawith to Gawith Hoggarth, though I don't have a clue of what it means:)

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I am really new at pipe smoking but can someone explain why the Samuel Gawith blends are so hard to find? Are they still producing them? I am dying to try the St James Flake and the St James Plug but no luck yet.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
+1 Cosmic.
FVF and BBF can vary from batch to batch, year after year. I noticed a big change in FVF around 2006 or 2007 when it seemed to my palate to change drastically. The pre '06 stuff seemed much better. Since then, it's been hit or miss with batches varying greatly to my tastes.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
FVF and BBF can vary from batch to batch, year after year. I noticed a big change in FVF around 2006 or 2007 when it seemed to my palate to change drastically. The pre '06 stuff seemed much better. Since then, it's been hit or miss with batches varying greatly to my tastes.
Thanks, so I'm not going senile quite yet, awesome! :puffy:

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I am really new at pipe smoking but can someone explain why the Samuel Gawith blends are so hard to find? Are they still producing them? I am dying to try the St James Flake and the St James Plug but no luck yet.
Be patient, and maybe form a relationship with your local B&M (if you are fortunate to have one). The shop near my office has been around for long while and has quite tight relationships with the wholesalers and distributors that predate internet sales by decades. They get a nice slice of blends or brands that instantly sell out online; however, with little internet presence and a smaller customer base the shelves stay stocked fairly well.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Jeff, please post the date on the Sameual Gawith FVF tins. I would like to know if this is new stock, or old stock that was at your B&M. It matters because the tobacco might be aged and not new, thus calmer vs bright.
Please follow this link and let us know the date of the tins.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/you-can-now-date-your-gawith-tobaccos

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I'll let you know when I get home. I know the label has a union Jack in the top right corner. I'm also guessing new because I bought them from the brand new B&M that opened near my house this summer (as opposed to the one near my office that's been around for decades).

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Date code is "23 269"
What kind of convoluted system is this???? So, trying by math I get 2017.41, but must add 1 so April 2018, the 23rd. :?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Thanks for posting the date. So it’s definately 2018. Then, as noted above, it’s probably just a slight year-to-year or batch-to-batch variation in flavor/taste from your prior stash.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
I bought some 2013 FVF from a well respected member here that has no codes on it either. I think I recall late 2013 being the introduction of the stick on date labels... but please,don't take my recollection for fact, as even the source may have been wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.