Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I am looking for some info on the newer Kaywoodie pipes. I'm thinking about buying or 2 of these for travel pipes. They are not expensive, but they are still decent looking briar pipes. I have smoked an older Kaywoodie estate pipe, it smoked a little hot, but was a decent pipe otherwise.I was wondering what everyone thought of these newer pipes, or would I be better off just buying some cobs. These Red Root pipes appeal to me. I wish they had dimensions and bowl diameter info listed for these pipes.
Kaywoodie Red Root (R)
Kaywoodie Red Root Pipes

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've got a Kaywoodie Red Root Poker that I purchased about 8 yrs ago and it has been a dependable smoker. Most of the Kaywoodies today are being converted from the drinkless stems to the push in stems. For the price they are good pipes and I wouldn't hesitate buying one again.

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
Solid. I wouldn't pass up a deal on a Kaywoodie, or for that fact, a Dr Grabow. Good American companies makin' solid pipes at a great price point. I use 'em for fly fishing and whatnot (if I drop them in the water, what am I out!?)

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
@ray47 - I think this particular Kaywoodie has a screw-in-drinkless mechanism. So the drinkless system has merit? I don't really have much experience with them.
@revereandsasquatch - I do like the fact that they are "American made" pipes as well.
Thanks for the input.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the past several years I've bought three or four of these American factory pipes and been impressed. I have two Dr. Grabow Royaltons, two Kaywoodie (a Saxon and a Drinkless Ruff-Tone), and a Yello-Bole Checker panel. They are all good serviceable pipes, well manufactured, good smokers, and good looking in their own way, a little retro and a little folksy, but to me, all the better for it. I am most impressed with the two Dr. Grabow Royaltons, especially the bulldog, and the K. Drinkless, which, although it has a stinger screw-on stem is a sturdy smoker. The only down side is, it is not always easy to find a retailer who has a good selection. In general I'd say, if you like these pipes, have no doubts. They're sturdy, good looking, and and good smokers. Enjoy 'em. Just be sure you are not ordering a Brylon pipe, unless that's what you want. Some of these makers also make Brylon pipes.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
They are kind of folksy aren't they? I think that the nostalgia is one of the attractions for me, they remind me of some of the pipes my grandfather used to smoke.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
The drinkless system is good for keeping out those pesky small bits of tobacco from going thru the stem. You can also take the stem off while the pipe is still hot so you can clean out the shank.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, I really think the designs are pretty wonderful in their own way, like pristine examples of 1950's American cars. The factory manufactured aspect just seems to bring out their personalities. I'd say they smoke good to excellently.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm splitting hairs, but I don't think of these classic Americana factory pipes as basket pipes, and because of the way they are marketed, they usually don't end up in pipe shop baskets. Most of the standard brands are sold in a selection. They used to be sold a lot in drugstores, or in cities at newsstands, so drugstore pipe would be retro-accurate. Basket pipes are often Czech pipes or non-stamped pipes frequently with plastic stems that chew through quickly. Although, if you regularly prowl through pipe shop baskets, you can frequently find good pipes, stamped or not, if you can recognize vulcanite or acrylic stems, standard quality briar, and proper drilling, and if the looks and finish are appealing, these are basket pipe prizes. But the American factory pipe is a genre all to itself, is usually sold as a series or line of its own, and if you like that whole pipe culture, you will find they smoke great. But after long years, I've never found a single one in a pipe shop basket.
The one trick with Drinkless is that the stem will not always screw in so the bit is perpendicular to the bowl. A Forums member familiar with the problem trained me to heat up the shank with a hair dryer and when it is sufficiently warm, rotate the bit until it is in corrected position. The glue softens with heat and permits the bit to be rotated. I was most pleased with the result.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I learned on Forums that long ago, maybe during the 1920's and '30's and a little later, Kaywoodie pipes cost more than Dunhills. Maybe it's their retro appearance, but also the prices have given some the impression that American factory pipes are junk quality. From owning several, I think this is wrong. They're quite good, and over time, their failure to keep up with the times in terms of design has actually become a plus, giving them a nice retro look, taking us back at least to the 1950's. But they are surely not junk, and maintain a lot of the quality (at least in their function a smoking tools). The new ones are not luxury quality as some used to be, especially Kaywoodie, but they are good solid smokers, durable, well-drilled (mostly) and nifty pipes for moderate prices.

Reactions: Dave4211

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Thanks for the correction, mso. I've always thought of drugstore pipes as basket pipes due to the price, but I can see the distinction you make. I think I'll pick up one of those.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I'm with mso - his distinguishing 'drugstore' from basket pipes is useful. I'm told that Balkan Sobranie used to be found in drugstores and such as well as traditional B&Ms. I have had Kaywoodies, even back in the 60s when I first began. As for the newer production, BillF's POYs and limited edition freehands are best buys for artisan pipes. If they weren't so huge, I would have a lot of them.
I look forward each year to the annual NorthEast Holiday (formerly aka Christmas) party, especially since the SloSmoke always results in a winner for me, namely a brand new KW. I've bought new Choices and other models right out of the cabinets at the Kaywoodie factory. Every one of these pipes are in the top 50% of my rotation, and several are in the top 10.
hp

les

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I'm very fond of this one:
http://wvsmokeshop.com/kaywoodiecampuse.aspx
I love that paneled Rhodesian style shape with the elegantly bent saddle stem. And its cheap and "drinkless." I really thought my next pipe was going to be a Ropp, but at that price I think I have a present for myself come payday.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I have a newer pot-shaped Saxon that I love. Slightly larger than a "Nosewarmer" but the bowl holds a good amount of tobacco making it a great take-along pipe. And is smokes like a champ!

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
I'm full up sold on the estate Kaywoodies in my collection. Tempted to try a modern pipe from these guys. In their third century of production, they must have worked out the bugs.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I have 5 woodie's, 4 with solid clover and the newer just dont measure up IMHO, I keep a Dr Grabow and KBB Yello-bole in my travel bag, dont want to take the risk with any of my collection on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.