PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
The smoke: Sterling Balkan in a cob. Accompaniment: a bit of Johnny Walker Black Label on the rocks.
Up till now, I was doing 1-2 pipes a week. I'm not sure if I just enjoy the time-out...or if nicotine is making me crave a smoke, but I find myself thinking about making time for my next pipe. (Does nicotine work on the body that fast?) Tonight, the wife ran an errand, and I knew I had an hour or so by myself, so I decided to go for it.
Pretty much until now (pre-pipe), my "sit down and rest" moments were in front of a TV, or in front of my laptop or phone. But, I've kind of defaulted to a rule for my pipe: "When smoking a pipe, no electronic devices shall be present." I just sat on my front porch, watching the birds, and squirrels, and I resisted the urge to have my phone present. All in all, taking time out from electronic devices has to be good.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Well, now that you mention it, I've realized that most of my smokes occur while either reading or listening to music. Though the latter most assuredly occurs on an electronic device as I get all my music online.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Trading one vice for another lol

Nothing better than stopping the world and enjoying some natural beauty

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I highly doubt it's purely the nicotine. There's a lot more going on while smoking a pipe than delivering nicotine to the bloodstream. I enjoy pipe smoking so much I could do it all day, and have had plenty 7 bowl days for sure, however, I also go several days without a single pipe. My basic rule is smoke when I can, but sometimes I'm too busy or too tired to dedicate an hour or so to just relaxing with my pipe. This leads me to believe I smoke for the pure enjoyment of it rather than nicotine addiction.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Not nicotine for me at all -- taste, enjoyment, relaxation, etc., all are factors. Just another part of my day & personality. Nicotine addiction is VASTLY more manifest in cigarettes, since it combines with the deprivation of oxygen to the lungs->bloodstream.

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I do think about it a lot but don't think it's nicotine craving so much as PAD, TAD explorations and the enjoyment of sitting. I also avoid anything but nature when smoking unless Im using a lighter pipe and doing some instrument building in the basement.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
I think people smoke pipes for the nicotine. Coffee for the caffeine. Whisky for the alcohol. I love whisky, coffee and tobacco.

Mar 1, 2014
I’m one of those weird people who can’t tell when I’m intaking Caffeine or Nicotine, never tried alcohol (maybe never will).

The first effect I can feel from either a pipe or cigar is a spinning head, so if that’s nicotine I’d rather just avoid it.
Pipesmoking is just addictive for me because of the infinite variety afforded by the hobby.

With all the different pipes and blends and ways to prepare it, you could smoke ten bowls a day for your entire life and still find new variations with your last bowl (my mouth is fried after one so I’m probably limited to one or two bowls a week).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think some people smoke pipes for the nicotine. Coffee for the caffeine ritual and taste. Whisky for the alcohol, ritual and taste. I love whisky, coffee and tobacco.

Slight editing in bold.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I guess I'm one who smokes a pipe to obtain his nicotine, cuz it was the addiction that 'drove' me to the pipe in the first place.

I won't go so far as to say it is a life saver, but, I will comment that I think it is far less harmful to smoke a pipe.

The first month or so that I smoked a pipe, it was just the one, a MM Legend from the drug store and I smoked it like I smoked my RYO's. I inhaled.

However! I found this forum soon thereafter, as well as myriad youtube videos, and I was off to the races.

Be sure to check out some of the radio podcasts that are available at the top of the website for even more pipe and tobacco lore. The programs run about an hour, and are a nice way to pass the time while smoking a bowl.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I think people smoke pipes for the nicotine. Coffee for the caffeine. Whisky for the alcohol. I love whisky, coffee and tobacco.
I was doing some pipe research the other day and viewing a Spanish language site using Google translate mode. One fellow's sig line was something like this:
Alcohol, tobacco and women are the enemies of man. Only a coward runs from his enemies...
jay-roger.jpg

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
My pipe smoking time falls into three categories - while taking a walk, while reading, and on the very rare occasion, just sitting. Walking is a no tech activity but I read almost exclusively on my kindle so that's all tech for me. Generally speaking I am wired such that I've never got much satisfaction from just sitting - pipe or not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe it's the breeze and birdsong that's getting in your bloodstream. Sounds pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.