PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Mornin' ;-)
First off a little update on the newbie collection. I posted some pics in my album Here. Took me some time and eBay hunting to get here,but I'm hooked !
Now the plea for help:

Can you have an adverse reaction to certain tobacco types ?
Since Tuesday my tongue felt like I had tongue burn. Not bite, burn. I cook a lot, so I know what a burned tongue feels like (tasting soups and sauces will inevitably do that to you sooner or later). And over the years I have developed a pretty fire proof tongue. :nana: Anyways, laid off the pipe Thursday, biotene, the whole drill. Yesterday, mouth felt better, so I lit up a bowl of my favorite, Burley Mild. No issues. Then several hours later, Davidoff royalty. Auch.. Tongue felt a little sore again afterwards. Biotene drill. MacBaren vanilla late last night, not too much of an issue.
So, this morning I try starting with a bowl of FMOTT and yikes ! Three, four puffs into it, the tongue tingle and irritation started. Dumped the bowl, lit of Burley Mild. And it's going just fine. Maybe the FmOTT is burning a little hot since it's new, so I have some laying out to dry and will try again later.
Then it read this:
Va's tire my mouth out and make me sore. Not sure why but I get a burning sensation from straight VA. Not just a little tongue bite, whole mucous membrane on fire feeling if I smoke too much of the VA's.
Could I have the same going on with Latakia or Orientals ? Anyone heard of that before ? That would be a bummer. If I did. Anyone any ideas on how to overcome it ? I feel like I'm going to miss out on a lot if I have to stay away from any blend that contains those two.
Option 2: I still smoke too fast and the Latakia and Orientals are just less forgiving. If so, anyone in the Dallas area who wants to meet for coffee or a drink and teach me somewhere between Christmas and new year ?
Thanks for all the help

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've noticed with some people that their body chemistry just doesn't mix well with some tobaccos. If you can figure out which kind of leaf (latakia, perique, etc.) is in each of the blends you have had the burn experience, you could try blends that are much lighter, or without them. Some of it could be smoking too hot, but I think the body chemistry is more the culprit.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
If you try letting your tobacco dry about an hour before smoking, and it still does that, I'd say it's a body chemistry thing.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've been able to smoke just about anything but if I smoke straight Virginias I get the reaction you described.I agree that it's chemistry.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I only got that feeling a few times when I first started with the pipe. I would brush my teeth or mouthwash after and wow, it felt like I had a mouthfull of cinnamon tic tacs. I don't get that much at all now, thankfully.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Hello fellow newbie. The same thing recently happened to me. My tongue was sore and everything had an aftertaste that I can only describe as 'soy sauce.' Also, virginias and even some Burleys (especially those made by Mac Baren and McClelland) do bite unless I am very careful, and smoking them when my tongue has a slight burn can be very unpleasant. Non-aromatic Burelys and Englishes burn much cooler and cause no problems.
Here is a tip that works well for me: do not drink really cold drinks while smoking. They de-sensitize the tongue to heat, and you can burn your tongue without knowing it. Tea and coffee are (for me) the best complements to pipe tobacco.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm getting a little frustrated to say theleast ;-)
Recent experiments: I let the FMOTT dry out for almost two hours. Smoked another bowl about 3 hours ago. Still there but less.

Just lit up Golden Extra, which I don't think has any Latakia. Doing fine.
I'm going to swing by a reputable tobacconist tomorrow night and ask for some advice and trials. Something real heavy on the Latakia. Then see what happens. I'll keep you posted :?

Status
Not open for further replies.