PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnie

Lurker
May 21, 2014
Jay here, started a couple years ago with a nice rusticated basket billiard and a tin of Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow. After a few smokes, I snapped the stem carelessly knocking the pipe over the bathroom wastebasket. Not knowing it could be repaired, I tossed it and set the tobacco aside.
This spring, I tried again with another basket pipe, a sort of 1/8th bent Canadian. It's marked Italy on the rubber stem and identical in dimension to the Savinelli 812. I count at least 10 fills, easy to see why it became a basket pipe. I've dug out the fills and I'm looking to borrow a friend's bead blaster to make it my own. Stay tuned.
I've been enjoying a variety of different tobaccos, favorites thus far being Lane BLWB, Butternut Burley, PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, P&C Trout Stream, Sutliff Great Outdoors, EGR, and my local B&M's 965 match.
I've grown my pipe collection pretty quickly in the last few months--
3 MM cobs (Washington, Legend and the new Huck Finn),

Saddle stem Barling 5229 apple

The aforementioned basket Canadian

A big Barclay-Rex Canadian with two visible pits

Canadian signed by trad sports outfitter Orvis

Savinelli Milano 803KS

Antique Shell 506 (no Savinelli signature, a second?)

Big Marxman imported briar billiard with numerous cracks inside the chamber that smokes super hot, hoping to cake this one a bit and take it slow.

Sasieni Four Dot Walnut Wingate with a burnout and crack on the bottom of the bowl. Purchased in a dim room and with no experience- remind me to take a pen light next time I shop for estates.
All are in heavy rotation except the Sasieni at this point. I may try filling the bottom of that one with some mud at some point, but it does get an occasional smoke.
I sent a letter to Zippo explaining I had begun smoking pipes and wished to continue using my lighter and asked if they would kindly provide a pipe insert for my lighter. Received a package in the mail a couple weeks later and couldn't be happier.
Enjoying the hell out of this. Good stuff all around.

Jan 8, 2013
Hey Jay :) Welcome aboard. All the information you will ever need on this fine hobby can be found right here on the forums. Ask any question and I guarantee it will be answered. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jay, welcome. It sounds like you are having a great time, with pipes and tobacco, and the possibilities at

hand. You'll pick up good advice, sometimes intended and sometimes inadvertent, here on Forums. Take

your time and keep enjoying the almighty leaf, and the pipes. I like your adventurous spirit remodeling the

pipe with the fills. You might want to relax a little about the fills. Many terrific smoking pipes at lower prices

have these, and while they aren't show pieces, sometimes the fills add a little character and attitude, if you

wean yourself from a more perfectionistic concept of what pipes should be. In the Japanese tea ceremony,

which is a meditative and reflective exercise based on tea drinking, part of the ceremony is admiring the tea

service and cups, including their individual irregularities, which rather than being seen as defects, are little

strokes of grace that decorate the cups in an individual way. Looked at that way, the fills are good! Enjoy

Forums.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hi Jay,
Welcome.
You might not want to blast a pipe that's so heavily filled unless you're willing to sacrifice it. The process can tear a hole through the flaw an into the bowl.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Welcome Jay! Try some "Crack & Mortar" repair in the bowl of that Sasieni, it's about $5 for a small tub at Lowes and works well for that kind of repair. (cake builds fast over it)

Status
Not open for further replies.