Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
First time pipe smoker today. Went to an estate sale over the weekend and purchased a lot for pocket knives that also included 2 pipes, a nice lighter and a pipe cleaning tool. Got it in my head that I want to try smoking a pipe, but the 2 pipes look brand new so I don't want to make them used if I don't like it. Went down to Walgreens and bought a corncob "Missouri meerschaum" pipe for $10 and a tin of Blenders Gold vanilla tobacco that promised me the contents were created by "master blenders". Somehow I get the feeling that nothing inside the walls of Walgreens was created by master anything. Tried it, not what I was hoping for. So here's where I need your help....
About 30 years ago when I was a teenager my family took a trip to Mendocino. While there I happened to walk by a tobacco shop and was smacked in the nose by the most incredible vanilla scent that filled my head with sweet Smokey goodness. I don't know what they were smoking, but 30 years later I can still close my eyes and smell that delicious perfume. I will never forget that smell, but I may never find it again without your help. Please lead me to the path of vanilla goodness. Where should I start?

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Going to try the Q 1. Hoping to get a few more suggestions for good vanilla tobacco so I can put together a sampler.
I decided to try the blender's gold again while lounging in my back yard. My dad comes over for a couple of beers and the 1st thing he asks me is, "is there a grass fire around here?" Lol

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Memories are nice, but, they can be selective.Try to approach this from the angle that you're looking for ANY flavor, not that smell you smelled back 30 yrs ago.

The predominant 'taste' in any pipe tobacco should be tobacco. Tobacco itself offers a range of flavors.

Trying to smoke tobacco in disguise of one confection or another might cause one to have unreasonable expectations.

One of the first blends I smoked was from P&C and was Peter Stokkebye's #303, peaches and cream. Sounds lovely, right?

Well, it did to me. I can enjoy a bowl of it, still, but it doesn't taste like it smells.

Sometimes that's a good thing, not tasting like it smells. Try Latakia!

Anyway, there are few 'aromatics' that folks will say taste like they smell.

We here on the forums are always interested in new pipe finds, so, we'd love to hear more about the pipes, and of course, that you've tasted and enjoyed several blends of tobacco in your new journey to pipe euphoria.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ditto what Newbroom says; I hardly ever smell the aromas of the aromatics I have smoked -- or any other blend types, for that matter. That said, I'll bet the other posters are right about 1-Q being what you remember. BTW, check out some of Mac Baren's vanilla concoctions, purported to be among the better vanillas around.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Keep in mind that with aromatic pipe tobaccos there's often a big difference between the taste of the blend and the room note.

In other words, just because there's a marvelous vanilla room note, you might not get a strong vanilla flavor.
That noted, here are my recommendations for readily available aromatic blends with a great room note that also taste great:

Lane Ltd. 1-Q, RLP-6, & LL-7

Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew

MacBaren Vanilla Cream Loose Cut

McClelland Vanilla Black Cavendish

Pipesandcigars.com or 4Noggins.com Trout Stream

Sutliff creme brûlée & molto dolce
A number of online retailers such as smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars.com, & 4Noggins.com sell many of these blends in bulk so you can get and ounce or 2 to try.

Enjoy the journey of trying different blends & have fun!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The predominant 'taste' in any pipe tobacco should be tobacco.
Not true at all. It just depends on the individual.
One of the first blends I smoked was from P&C and was Peter Stokkebye's #303, peaches and cream. Sounds lovely, right?

Well, it did to me. I can enjoy a bowl of it, still, but it doesn't taste like it smells.
I have not came across an aromatic that didn't taste exactly the way it smells. Though beginners really shouldn't start with aromatics. Don't know who started that one. Proper technique should be learned before smoking a flavored blend. Aromatics should be at the far end of the journey, not the beginning.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I started pipe smoking with Lane 1Q and loved it for many years. But didn't smoke more than once a week most times.

What is weird, is that I never got bit by it. Now that I am older and working my way through every blend known to man, mostly VaPer, VaBur and English, I have to be careful about the way I smoke and often give my tongue a break. I am not sure what changed, other than trying a lot of straight virginia's.

Not true at all. It just depends on the individual.

I agree, in my opinion, you never know how it can effect different people at different times in their lives with different blends.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake has a bit of a vanilla and coconut flavor for me. And the base tobacco's used are good.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Thanks guys I appreciate the recommendations. I'm going to put an order in for your recommendations plus McClellan vbc which someone suggested. I have to say that this blenders gold tobacco is not unpleasant as far as taste goes, but it's missing what I think you guys refer to as room note and that's kind of what I'm after.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Best vanilla tobacco that I have ever smoked is Dan Tobacco Blue Note. It's amazing and the smell of the tin note actually translates to taste (unlike all those other vanilla tobacco's I've tried). The one that comes in at second best for me is Mac Baren Vanilla Cream.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
drrock named some good vanilla aromatics, as have other posts. Aromatics are, generally speaking, blends that have flavors other than tobacco. Vanilla is a common one, and rum, whiskey, caramel, and fruit/citrus are others that are common. I would suggest that you limit quantities for any blend to an ounce or two, the least you can buy. Even if you like a blend, your tastes will change and develop. Eventually, you need to try unflavored tobacco. Flavored/aromatic blends make up 95% of the market, but non-aromatics can become a real treat if you sample around and don't overdo with stronger blends. Also, learn a little bit about filters and non-filter pipes, so you can make informed decisions on that. The Walgreens pipe and tobacco might not be as bad as you think. MM cobs (if that's what it is) are good pipes, and some bagged tobaccos are fair to very good. But sample around buying small quantities until you get accustomed and learn a little more, an ounce or two at a time, max, in my humble opinion. You were lucky to get unsmoked used pipes; that's a good start. Forums people are a good source for answers to your questions. Welcome aboard.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But, rum in a blend doesn't always make it an aromatic. Navy blends are anything but aromatic and some have rum.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm smoking my way through a tin of Stanwell Jubilee. It is well respected by some here and after a couple of bowels you'll understand why. It is well balanced, burns dry, and I've had no hints of tongue bite.
Pax

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Stanwell Jubillee is yet another of my unopened tins. Didn't remember it was a vanilla. I also have Stanwell Melange. No telling what all I have....

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Your taste would change over time so what ever to start with does not matter.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm going to go against the grain here by suggesting you forget all about vanilla chocolate, strawberry sundae, banana delight, peaches and cream and such and go for a tobacco flavoured blend.
The variety and range is vast and the options almost endless. The things modern day blenders come up with from say a mix of select Virginia and Burley leaves are amazing...no added flavouring needed, it is already there in the tobacco.
Now form an orderly queue with those baseball bats :nana:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.