PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2013
hi all, just wanted to say hi. i recently bought my pipes and after a lot of researching (mainly on here for which i need to say a massive THANK YOU) i settled down with my first ever pipe smoke and nice single malt!
im 30 and from the UK...... dont seem to have seen any others yet...... and have a Dr Plumb Club pipe to start me off and to break me in! thought id start by keeping it simple and had a couple of small sample pouches from a local tobacconist to break the pipe in and get used to the taste and most importantly the technique..... still getting used to how to smoke while not inhaling....
will hope to contribute in the coming months when i begin to get some experience and will add as much to the UK aspect of pipe smoking and tobaccos available....... for example the shop in question looked all funny when i mentioned captain blacks and Lanes 1Q for my samples! hehe
anyway........ cheers all and look forward to getting stuck into my new hobby!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Welcome! Glad you've joined us.
Looks like you're going for aros, Since things are obviously different in the UK, just have your tobaccoist open the bulk jars and give you a sniff. Buy small quantities and keep track of your impressions and whether you want to spend your hard earned money on them again.
One of my favorite pipes is a Peterson Kildare 999 with a P-Lip, helps me not to inhale.
Good Luck!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. Dr. Plumb is a fine pipe to start your journey. Here's mine from 1977. Enjoy your time here and we all look forward to hearing from you.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Welcome aboard!! Hope you enjoy your new found hobby, and don't be afraid to ask questions.. Lots of helpful folks on the forum here... :puffy:

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Welcome, there are a few UK pipers on here...but, we don't post much...
Also, don't worry about inhaling too much. I do it all the time....

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome gandalf to the forums.

will hope to contribute in the coming months when i begin to get some experience and will add as much to the UK aspect of pipe smoking and tobaccos available....... for example the shop in question looked all funny when i mentioned captain blacks and Lanes 1Q for my samples! hehe
Please do - I would enjoy hearing what it's like where you are!

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Wow, the Pipe Forum has spread across the "pond." Welcome and keep posting as smoking things appear. Enjoy and save up for more pipes.

You're going to need a rotation as you smoke more often.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome aboard gandalf, glad to have you here and really look forward to hearing from you. I always find it interesting to read post from those in others parts of the world.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome, Gand. UK is one of the more accessible destinations for us Yanks, so if you can

include information on tobacco shops, pipe museums, and tobaccos only available there,

that would be great ... and maybe we can do the same from here. All in good time, not

all at once! UK has some of the fine pipe brands, not just at the high end. I suspect it is

a good hunting ground for used pipes as well, perhaps better than here. Hope you find

Forums useful, and welcome aboard.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Glad to have you aboard - someone who will not blanch at my British spellings (I'm Canadian born, partly UK educated, living in the States, so I tend to get my spellings mixed up).
I just acquired a Dr Plumb Quintex pipe on Ebay (they're not usually sold on this side of the pond)and am enjoying it very much (especially now that I've removed the "stinger." ) Also acquired somewhere along the way a Dr Plumb one-pipe/tobacco pouch, which I really like because of the magnetic snap fasteners; keeps the tobacco nice and fresh.
I know you'll enjoy the forum.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Welcome to the forum.
There are some other members from the UK and you may get a chance to meet them face to face sometime.
Looking forward to hearing your input as a new pipe smoker in the UK, so share your experiences with us and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Happy smoking.

Jun 12, 2013
wow thanks for the welcomes.... will keep you all updated and let you know how things go......
must admit still struggling with the technique of sipping the pipe.... and having problems with it going out a little too often..
down to rubbish packing i assume but practise practise practise i guess
till next time

Status
Not open for further replies.