PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred324

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
Hi all! New to the pipe smoking game. I started off with a Corn cob america sampler on pipesandcigars.com . I did not care for the tobacco that came with it and ordered the Lane sampler. I enjoy the majority of those. Now, on the my question. I am down to one pipe for multiple reasons, and was wanting to get a few new ones. I really like the Savinelli 601, however, is a churchwarden a good idea for a newbie? Also, all of my pipe smoking is done outside. I am currently deployed and it ranges from light breeze to blistering wind. Is there any tips yall have for outdoor smoking? Another thing is, I seem to have burnt or melted (not sure really) the rim of my pipe; it is bubbly with a little bit of black discoloration. Anything I am doing wrong? Last thing is, I know bulk is cheaper, however, I have no way to store it other than to keep it in the plastic baggie, and put that inside the other one. Even when I go home, it will be the same way. Is it better to buy tins in my situation as to help with the freshness, aging, or whatever have you for the tobacco? Thanks a bunch for all the help in advance, and sorry for the lengthy first post.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Welcome to the forum, bigred324.
Lots of questions and that's a good thing as it shows your interest in pipe smoking.
You'll get a variety of answers to your questions from many very experience pipe smokers here. So, I'll take a shot -
1. I do not think a churchwarden is a good idea for a beginner's pipe. A more standard shaped straight pipe is what I always recommend as you'll need to properly learn how to use your pipe cleaners during a smoke and a churchwarden can be troublesome unless you have those long pipe cleaners with you. And, since you are smoking only outdoors in the wind, a straight pipe that is more compact in size will probably be easier to smoke in wind.
2. The only outdoor smoking tips I have is to smoke a tobacco that burns slow (broken flakes work best), and if you can get hold of a wind cap for you pipe, that would be helpful, too.
3. The burning of the rim of your pipe is, no doubt, caused by smoking in high wind which causes the leaf to burn really hot.
4. I really don't know if tins or baggies is best for your situation. Whichever is easier to tote around. The aging process is suspended once you open a tin, but I have learned that tobacco stays fresher a little bit longer when stored in a tin rather than a baggie.
Again, welcome!

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Buy yourself a cheap briar pipe like pipestud suggested, try not to smoke out in the high wind unless you purchase a wind cap (I don't recommend buying one, it is one more thing to lose or worry about) Buy a few ounces at a time if your worried about it drying out, but it should be fine. I have left baccy out in bags for weeks and it smokes just fine. Grab a tin of flake cut tobacco, usually this comes more wet than others and won't dry out at all. ( Example would be Sam Gawith flake tobaccos).
I hope this helps

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
That Savinelli 601 is a beautiful pipe. I have a 10 inch churchwarden (not Savinelli) with about the same bend that is a wonderfully relaxing pipe to smoke indoors at my desk. But it's just too awkward and delicate to take outside. Maybe if I were smoking outside in a lawn chair in a protected area it would be fine, but it doesn't sound like that is your current situation.
But if the 601 attracts you, you might look for a "semi-churchwarden." One of mine is a Savinelli King's Cross Featherweight. At eight inches with a very slight bend, it would fine outside except that it is such a great pipe (and was my father's) I don't risk it. I don't know if that model is still made, but I've seen several similar pipes. My usual outdoor pipe is a Cobbit Dwarf which is the Missouri Meerschaum version of lightly bent semi-churchwarden. Not as nice as the Savinelli, but certainly very serviceable.
Note all of these have very small bowls, which is my preference.
I'll defer to pipestud and delro's sage advice on your other questions.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
You might consider Savinelli Tortugas, Nice pipes that come with ash caps.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/index.cfm?tag=Tortuga
If you're deploved and in-country, you might consider sticking with cobs. Cheap, smoke great, and easily replaceable. Come in different shapes and sizes.
Pax

bigred324

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
Thanks for yalls help. I am stuck in a crossroads now. I see on MM's site they got a grab bag for $30 for 10 and on P&C they got 3 briars for $60. I have no problem spending money, however, I don't want to buy a new pipe and not know what I am doing yet and ruin it or damage it, so that is why I am leaning to those kinds of options. And I am not in-country per say, however still in a fun filled piece of desert! don't really need to worry about breaking or losing pipes.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Me strong recommendation is to stay away from the P&C grab bag. Cheap, cheap, cheap, crappy briars. I bought that package thinking I might get a decent second but all I got was three identical pieces of crap. I buy from P&C but that grabbag trick is along the lines of the bundles of cigars that P&C, JR, etc offer for $19.99.
The MM cobs, on the other hand, are a great value. And you get some diversity in the bag. If you can, call MM. Marilyn will answer. Tell her you're active duty.
My best cobs smoke every bit as good as my best briars. My worst cobs still smoke good - a lot better than the crappy briars P&C sent me in the grab bag.
If you want a briar, use your 60 bucks and get an estate from Mike at briablues.com. You can also get a Stanwell from P&C for $59.00. SmokingPipes have pipes in that ranges as well. of course, if you can spend ten or 20 bucks more, your options go up.
Pax

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Cheap, cheap, cheap, crappy briars.
I got that grab bag and they were fine pipes, just regular old basket pipes that can take a beating. Also mine came in 3 different shapes.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I've never smoked in high winds, so Steve may be right about the rim burn on your pipe, but I also have another possibility. Do you use a torch style lighter? It's easy to char your pipe with those. I stick with matches or a soft flame style lighter.

bigred324

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
I don't use a torch. I have a soft flame lighter I use. I think I will get the bag o MM's and go from there. Just gonna try random tobaccos now

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Bigred324, I know your situation. Ive done the deployments to afghanistan, Iraq, and aboard a navy ship. All of which have some differing levels of difficulty. However, my best luck was a corn cob to start until I got used to the normal practices of packing, lighting, tamping, and taking your time. I know that times overseas can be busy so a corn cob would be your best bet. You don't need to wait as log as a briar before starting again. Also, tins worked the best, because they were easy to travel with, easy to store and kept the tobacco fresh for longer than zip loc bags. Plus, if you have any on the way home, they won't let them come back into the country without the original packaging. Just take your time and perfect the basics and go from there. It's good to see another service member, and if you have any questions on your particular situation, let me know. Best of luck and stay safe.

bigred324

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
I don't have to worry about customs as I am in my own aircraft, no rotator for me. However, I will take your advice and try tins and stick to corn cobs while on the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.