PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotdotdot

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
Hi Guys.

I want to get into pipe smoking...but I am completely new to this.

I like the history behind Missouri Meerschaum and I want to start with a couple of theirs.
I'm slightly confused as to what the difference between a filtered and a non filtered pipe are. I like the patriot and MacArthur from Missouri Meershaum. Both are unfiltered.

Are there health benefits or is mostly for a softer smoke? Seems hard to find a straight answer online.

Can you put a filter in an unfiltered pipe? or put a filtered bit in any cob?
Also, is most pipe tobacco organic/natural or is it something special?

I'd like to start smoking organic tobacco.
Finally, what are the main differences between straight and bent pipes? advantages/disadvantages?
Thanks guys!

Look forward to learning here and eventually contributing!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There are no health benefits to filters, AFAIK. They are more popular in Europe then here. If I get a cob that has one, I take it out and throw it away. It makes a drier smoke, but interferes with flavor, IMO.
I am not aware of anyone making organic pipe tobacco. Not even sure there are any standards for such. Premium pipe tobacco does not have the additives that mass market cigarettes do.
Straight vs bent is all a matter of personal preference.

dotdotdot

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
Thanks for the fast response!

I thought I had heard of "organic" tobacco somewhere for some reason.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Tobacco as an "organic" crop probably wouldn't be profitable...

It's my understanding (and I may be completely incorrect), that tobacco sucks the nitrogen out of the soil very aggressively, and it must be fertilized because of that fact.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
There is one company out there doing organic pipe tobacco - Organic Smoke, Inc., producers of Kentucky Select organic pipe tobacco. They also do some Roll Your Own cigarette tobacco. Appears to be a Virginia/Burley blend, with a light topping comprised of organic fruit juices. Decent reviews online, though not many reviewers.
Organic tobacco is grown in accordance with USDA regulations regarding foodstuff production under the 1990 Organic Food Production Act - this is how RJ Reynolds produces the products used in American Spirit cigs, and how Organic Spirit produces their product.
Thing is, once you light something on fire and inhale the smoke, you're getting carcinogens no matter how organic the material is. Smoking has some health risks associated with it, no getting around it. It's all a matter of how much risk you're willing to accept, and how much of a risk you're actually taking (pipe smoking's risks are different from those associated with cigarettes, for example, since we don't inhale and we smoke a better grade of tobacco to begin with... :D )

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bent or straight: Straight pipes are easier to clean, therefore maybe easier for people new to pipe smoking.

Any good straight pipe will accept a pipe cleaner right through it. Many bent pipes, the curve is just to

acute for a wire pipe cleaner. However, not knowing any better, I started with a bent pipe, about forty

years ago, that smoked well then and smokes better now. A pipe cleaner won't go all the way through, but

it has never been a problem. Many people like bent pipes because they apply less leverage to your teeth,

hanging below the mouth. This is especially good for people who like to hold a pipe in their mouth, what's

called clenching. You sound like you're off to a good start and asking good questions. Keep posting, and

especially keep reading. (Even if a bent pipe won't take the pipe cleaner to the bowl, use a pipe cleaner

every bowl; first gently empty ash and unsmoked tobacco, dottle; then blow any loose debris into a waste

basket or big ash tray; then wipe out the bowl with a tissue or paper towel; then use the pipe cleaner every

time. This sounds like a chore, but it takes a few seconds.)

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I started off with a bent, never quite liked straight pipes. (Except now I've got a hankering for a straight billiard, damn!) It may be a bit more awkward to stick a pipe cleaner through, but nothing major. On the other hand, bent pipes are (supposedly) easier to clench, because the angle reduces the effective weight of the bowl. Odds on, the best is whatever you like more!
As for filters, I've used one once, and it didn't really make a difference. A drier smoke, because any moisture gets soaked up in the filter. I never replaced it when it got dirty, just thought it was too much hassle. It's bad enough running out of pipe cleaners and tobacco, let alone filters as well!

I'm not familiar with the MM pipes with regard to filters, but I imagine if it's an unfiltered pipe, a filter just won't fit.
As the other guys have said - it's probably not for health benefits. We get better baccy with less nasty additives than you'll find in cigarettes, so any risks are likely less.
Good luck starting! But beware - there are far too many tobaccos, pipes and the rest out there, once you stop, you'll never have enough! There's always that nagging voice going "I wonder how that one smokes...?"

dotdotdot

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
I already know I'm going to get hooked! But I'm excited :) been wanting to start for a while.
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm sure I'll have more questions moving forward.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
… McClelland had a couple of rounds of "Organically Grown Flake" which I gather ought to be promptly smoked up once you pop the tin. I heard that once the tobacco is exposed to the elements the airborne bacteria and fungus gets to work on the blend and then it gets moldy. Such is the way of nature.
hp

les

dotdotdot

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
I think the MacAruthur would be more of a novelty to start. I just like the history. It's only $9 and if I place an order online I might as well get a couple for shipping.
But ya, it's huge and I don't plan on smoking for that long starting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.