PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonucsb

Lurker
Dec 15, 2012
hi everyone,
I'm a brand new pipe smoker and have a few questions. the questions themselves will probably speak to my ignorance so if I am missing anything, please feel free to let me know.
1. If i only have one pipe, how often should I let it rest so that it doesn't go sour? Is it wiser to have a number of starter pipes so that no one gets overused?
2. I'm an avid reader. What is the best intoductory book on pipes and pipe smoking?
3. I have a local smoke shop that seems very good. Do you find internet prices better on certain things or is the shop the way to go?
4. Finally, what one piece of advice/warning/tip, would you offer?
thanks,

jon

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forums

1. at least long enough to completely cool down, couple hours

2. this forum is probably your best source

3. I like to buy at local shops but internet is definately the cheapest

4. smoke slowly and look for what you like, not what everyone tells you is better

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
1. If i only have one pipe, how often should I let it rest so that it doesn't go sour? Is it wiser to have a number of starter pipes so that no one gets overused? Yes it is wiser to have a couple of pipes, but if you dont I would at least let it rest every other day... I would say more but it would be hard to not smoke if you enjoy it.
2. I'm an avid reader. What is the best intoductory book on pipes and pipe smoking? Internet (just use your common sense when taking things to heart)
3. I have a local smoke shop that seems very good. Do you find internet prices better on certain things or is the shop the way to go? Internet always has better prices as they dont have the overhead that a B&M has, but thats not to say that a great local B&M is not better... a good B&M will be great to help you learn and try out new things and give you a place to kick back and socialize while you learn. Its also nice to hold pipes before you buy them... but you will pay a bit more.
4. Finally, what one piece of advice/warning/tip, would you offer? Dont over think it and Take your time and enjoy.
also... welcome to the forums... this place is filled with very knowledgeable and friendly people.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome aboard!
A tip I'd give you is to learn about tobacco. Tobacco tobacco tobacco. The types, the curing methods, the blends.
Then move onto packing methods. I can screw up a bowl of my favorite tobacco just by doing a lousy packing job. Getting your packing method down will increase your enjoyment 200%.
What do you like to smoke now?

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
A man only needs one pipe until he learns how to smoke, if it goes sour you can sweeten it. Read Confessions of a Pipeman, it doesn't teach you how to smoke but it has a great reading list and a lot of good opinions, you'll learn which ones you disagree with, but it is worth a read for any beginner. If you have a good local tobacconist they will teach you a lot, any knowledge and in-person communication out-way price difference in my opinion. As far as advice goes, pipe smoking is for relaxation, if you aren't relaxing just take it easy and smoke more you'll get the hang of it.

jonucsb

Lurker
Dec 15, 2012
Thanks Everyone for all of the great advice. I'm pleased that none of it comes as a total surprise. I look forward to future communications.
Peace,

Jonucsb

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It sounds to me like you could use several corn cob pipes to round out your rotation. (I say several because even cobs can use some rest) This is an inexpensive way to conserve your briar(s) until you have a larger collection.
I think that the Internet is the best pipe tobacco resource that is out there today. There are 5-6 forums that I regularly read and where I scan the archives for information. Tobaccoreviews.com is also an invaluable resource.
Here at PipesMagazine.com there is also a wealth of information; articles from GL Pease and Russ Ouellette; pipe smoking videos; reviews of all kinds; the forum.
The problem is that you need to take what you read with a grain of salt; most of the content out there is written/collected by amateurs, so there can be some flaws. With more experience, you will be able to filter out some of the persistent inaccuracies. (For example, Orlik Golden Sliced as a VA with burley - wrong, it has perique)
My advice is: dry your tobacco before each bowl (you will learn the ideal moisture level through experimentation) and slow down and sip the smoke. Also, try some representative blends from each category until you get a rough idea what you like. Straight Virginia, Virginia/Perique, Burley, Aromatic, Latakia, Oriental, etc. That will get you on track to finding your favourite style of blends.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Welcome. & if you only have one pipe don't sweat it. Just enjoy it.
PAD will kick in soon enough...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forum. You'll get lots of good advice here. I think the others covered it well, but you will learn a ton just by visiting often and checking the threads. And don't be afraid to ask questions.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
Welcome!

1 I'd say a day or two.

2 Internet but I like the pipes and tobacco magazine.

3 I'd buy pipes from a good B&M but buy tobacco online.

4. Pack light, don't forget to chat light and then real light. Always run a pipe cleaner at the end of your smoke through the pipe.

A good starter pipe is worth the money. (Savinelli, Peterson, nording.)

Try as many tobaccos as you can. Don't give up this hobby can take a bit of time to get the hang of. Always ask questions. This is one of the best forums. Get one straight and one bent pipe and see what feels better, I lean towards bent pipes. Try a softie bit on your pipe if you like to clench instead of hold your pipe.

Most of all, have fun!

Cheers

Gunnar

Status
Not open for further replies.