PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

savab

Lurker
Feb 16, 2018
Hello,

I'm an absolute newbie (deeply in my forties), never smoked a pipe before (vivid cigar smoker). Decided to give it a try and am about to buy my first pipes. Want to buy two, three decent pipes and got a budget of around $ 200. What got my attention so far (after looking at websites and such) is Peterson, really like the "classical" shapes and finishes, thinking of getting one "106" billiard and one "999" Rhodesian. Any comments, suggestions, etc. are really appreciated! Thanks!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Peterson pipes are nice, as well as Savinelli and Stanwell. You can find a couple of nice pipes for your budget by these manufacturers as well as others. I suggest looking around until you find the pipe(s) that call to you. When you find it, buy it.
Welcome to the forum!

Jan 8, 2013
Both the 106 and 999 are great Peterson shapes, although I reach more often for one of my 106 than my 999. Not that the 999 isn't enjoyed. Welcome to the forum Savab! :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
never smoked a pipe before
My advice to all new smokers is to get a few cobs and some Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Five Brothers. Get your technique down before you explore further, because only then do you really know what you like.

savab

Lurker
Feb 16, 2018
Thank you, gentlemen, for your prompt, encouraging and informative responses. I've read a few topics about "what kind of pipe to buy or not as a newbie", and couldn't help but noticed some strong resentments about buying new "Peterson"'s. People are mentioning quality issues, dip staining (I've got no idea why this is bad), etc. Am I making a big mistake considering Peterson? I really like the designs and finishes, the "outward appearance" of the company is good, and I can afford their products......Did they drop the quality lately?

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I would recommend straight pipes for your first pipes especially if you buy a Peterson. Straight pipes help avoid gurgles and troubles that often come hand in hand with bent pipes. In other words, it's easier to learn with a straight pipe and if it does gurgle it's easy to get a pipe cleaner down it.
As for Peterson quality, I won't buy a bent from them again but would buy a straight and yes you can expect dye in the bowl and shank which can taste foul for the first few smokes but it does go away in short order.
Having said that though, If I were starting again and know what I know now I would likely buy a couple of straight cobs and a couple of straight Savinelli's. One with a balsa system and one without. Get pipes as light as possible in case you decide you are a clencher. I would then set to work on working out what type of tobacco's I liked.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I'm new too, less than a year in. My advice, based on mistakes so far would be to buy straight pipes below 40 grams. If you are used to cigars you'll probably not want a filter in your pipe. So don't buy pipes with filter option. They'll get dirty and bitter if you don't clean them thoroughly all the time. If you don't like cobs, you should try one anyway, because they are cheap, so why not. Peterson makes nice classic pipes. So does Savinelli, Stanwell and others.

Even though I recommend straight, light pipes, I think the 999 would be a reasonable purchase, because the 106 and the 999 have different shaped chambers, so you'll have a billiard shape (tall and narrow) as well as a pot shape (wide and shallow). This should give you something to experiment with.

Use the briars for tobacco that tastes like tobacco and use the cob for tobacco that tastes like chewing gum or neon colored candy. And read evrything you can on packing, smoking cadence, humidity of tobacco etc. And welcome.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
You will be just fine with the straight 106 and slightly bent 999...both will pass a cleaner just fine. Most guys who smoke a 999 say it's among their very finest smokers, including me. I own 3 of them, and they never disappoint. And no gurgle. Your choices of Pete shapes are good ones, and should fit your budget.
I own a dozen Petes, new and old, and I've not personally experienced any of the quality issues mentioned. Each one is drilled perfectly, the stain and finish are excellent.
If you go with Petes...the P lip is intended to direct the smoke up above your tongue, rather than directly into it...which works as intended for me. I have many friends who smoke Petes, and the majority of them like the P lip feature. To each his own...give a fishtail and a P lip a try.
Your choices of Pete shapes are good ones!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There have been questions about Peterson quality control in the last few years. I bought most of my Petersons, about six/eight, before that, and I have had no problems, and it seems/sounds as if things have improved recently. Among my favorite Petes are their bent brandy B11 (I have two) that are available in various series and price levels; the famous 999 Rhodesian; and their various versions of bulldogs like the 673KS, among others. Savenelli's and Stanwell's are fine pipes too, dependable and durable. I sometimes rattle on about low-end pipes, econo pipes, but that is a specialty. If you want to hear a few suggestions on those, PM me. I'd just name a few, not give you a dissertation. Welcome aboard.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Consider bowl size too. When I started out (still a noob, btw), I purchased pipes more based on appealing shape than bowl size or geometry. I ordered a Brigham volcano that I barely smoke now (pipe's essentially new: can't have more than 10 smokes) because the bowl turned out to be too large. I'd go with a medium size bowl: should be optimal, considering that not all tobaccos burn at the same rate (see here: Burn characteristics of toby and time). Now, I buy only pipes with small and medium bowls. In terms of geometry, I favour square bowls over cylindrical ones, and I'm avoiding conical bowls.
I happen to be in the bent pipes camp, though. I haven't had a problem with them gurgling or cleaning them. And I don't mind filters either. BUUUUT, I am not a wet smoker, so I don't have to be pushing a pipe cleaner through the stem mid-smoke (which you can't do with a filtered pipe).

savab

Lurker
Feb 16, 2018
Thanks a lot for the tips, suggestions and warm welcomes! One more question :): Is the so-called "army mount" working? I understand the principle (and history) behind it, and the companies are claiming that you can "remove the stem from the pipe while it’s still hot without damaging the fit". Is this true, and should I consider buying one (i like the appearance) or not? Thanks again!

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Is the so-called "army mount" working? I understand the principle (and history) behind it, and the companies are claiming that you can "remove the stem from the pipe while it’s still hot without damaging the fit". Is this true
Yes. I find this feature useful when out and about.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I can't speak to the quality issues of Peterson's because I don't own one. I recommend looking at the Savinelli's and Stanwell's to start. I have 5 Savinelli and they are all great smokers. I would probably start off with straight pipes because they usually pass a pipe cleaner easily but wouldn't discount a quarter bent pipe either. I have a couple that pass cleaners with no problem.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I have Peterson's and Savinelli's and am happy with both. You won't get a perfect pipe at $100 but they will smoke well especially if broke in correctly. I recommend looking at Morgan Bones pipes as well. I recently bought one and at a very nice price it is a great smoker. It cost me around $40 for the pipe. It is unfinished which I used olive oil to stain it. Just a suggestion especially if you wanted to try out a few different shapes this is a great alternative to get 3 or 4 pipes for the price of one more expensive pipe.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Petes, Stans, and Savs are all well-regarded. I have several Stans I like a lot, and enjoy my Petes as well. No Savs.

This ain't bad advice either, although I would skip the Five Brothers unless you like serious nicotine hits.
My advice to all new smokers is to get a few cobs and some Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Five Brothers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes and Cigars sent me an email promotion for brushed brown Stanwells for $39.99 which are usually $49.99. Another time, they offered Tsuge "tasting pipe" billiards for $39.99, which had the fit and finish associated with their often pricey pipes. So if you are patient and shop a lot, you can get some true buys. Missouri Meerschaum has a collaboration with Dagner on a short poker pipe with the added advantage of an acrylic stem that sells for about $24 and seems worth it. So if you aren't in a hurry, shop around, and learn which brands have good quality, you can get some real bargains. On an earlier post on this thread, I mis-identified the 673KS as a Pete, but of course it is a Savinelli.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
My favorite pipes are my 3 bent Savinelli's with P-lips, followed by my two Peterson's with P-lips. I don't need to use a pipe cleaner mid-smoke, because none of then gurgle. The bent shapes and tahe P-lips make them comfortable to clench. As previously mentioned, the Stanwells on sale for $40 smoke very well, and are very light weight. I have 4 different shapes, and love them all. Why not start off with several cheaper pipes in different shapes to find out what appeals to you before getting more expensive ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.