PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
I started smoking pipes a few months ago.I really like my pipe with the 9mm filters.I have a Weber Canadian it was an estate pipe I bought off ebay.I took it to the pipe shop and asked if there were filters for it he told me to his knowledge they do not require filters.Do seasoned pipe smokers use filters or are they straight tobacco sippers?I noticed that when I smoke it no matter how slow it still ends up gurgling.I will shove a pipe cleaner down the mouth peice during a smoke but it is very annoying,it takes away the pleasurable moment.Is this normal?I always resort to my rhodesian pipe that has the replacable filters,what are your takes on filters and do most experienced smokers go filterless?

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I sometimes use a filter but most of my pipes don't take them. I found that not using them is a bit easier for me. If it gurgles the pipe cleaner will reach the bottom of the bowl where a lot of gurgle starts. You can also blow back into your stem and that can sometimes help, not as well as a cleaner. Hope this helps.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-cleaner-as-a-filter
Use the folded up pipe cleaner, it's better than any filter I've ever bought.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
filters get a bad rep, using one if your pipe takes it is a good idea helps take some of the tar out that would other wise be in the stem, id listen to shantiques and andrew, just fold a pipe cleaner and clear it out. Another thing ive learned is if your pipe tends to gurgle let your tobacco dry out a little longer then you normally would and then give it a go.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
I would agree with letting the tobacco dry out. Personally, my two filter pipes are used exclusively for aromatics which tend to be a little more wet with all the toppings. I just buy some filters when I have an order to add to it so I can get free shipping sometimes.

Sep 22, 2012
I bought a bag of cotton balls from the dollar store. I pinch off a tiny bit that will loosely fit in the tenon. Before loading the pipe I check the draw and after each smoke discard the pellet. The bag of cotton balls from the dollar store will be enough for over a lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.