PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Just picked up my first pipe on Friday, I've been a cigar smoker for a few years. I bought a Brigham Algonquin 223 and a sampler of 6 different tobacco recommended by my local B&M, Borkum Riff Whiskey Bourbon, Borkum Riff Cherry, Mark Twain aromatic, Muskoka Mix, AUE TQ, W/O Larsen Old Fashion. Smoked the Whiskey Bourbon Friday night and all day the next day my stomach was upset,. I've read a lot of comments that the BR is pretty rough, anyone else experienced this type of stomach issue? As a cigar smoker should I maybe try something that is less aromatic but still mild to start?

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forums!!

I think you did fine (except for the BR)

Next time you get in a b&m try a Virginia, a vaPer ( va/perique mix), an English, and some 1Q

ETA:and a burley

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
+1, Chris.

Try everything you got, but it's likely (though, of course, not certain) that you'll end up preferring non-aromatics since you're obviously used to the taste of tobacco. It all depends on what you're looking to get out of it. If you want something more similar (I use that term loosely) to cigars, stick to Englishes, VaPers, and other stronger/straightforward blends. Or maybe you'll enjoy a different aro. Plenty of possibilities, that's what's great about the hobby!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
My Grandfathers smoked Erinmore Flake and that's why I'm trying the hobby to begin with, the tobaccanist thought it was too strongoing a tobacco for my first go at it. I may just go for it and buy a tin anyways. Any thoughts on this brand?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Respectfully, I would question the judgment of anyone who recommended Borkum Riff.
To get a decent taste of pipe tobacco styles for a cigar smoker, I would recommend: Escudo, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, Lane 1Q, and GL Pease Barbary Coast. Granted, there are pipe tobaccos blended with cigar leaf, but presumably you're looking for something different. There's no perfect starter sampler, but the list above (or comparable) will give you a wide spectrum of flavors.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Gentlemen, I'm going to try to order from an online streamed I had my eye on the Dunhill EMP so I may try those three blends, the Dunhill, Erinmore and the escudo. I'm really hoping to get a big hit of nostalgia from the Erinmore as I lost my grandfather 13 years ago and it's in some of my most vivid memories of him.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Respectfully, I would question the judgment of anyone who recommended Borkum Riff.
Must be an overstock issue... :wink:
Welcome to the forums! Great to see so many newcomers all of a sudden.
Edit: Fixed your quote issue. It was missing the "/", L.

Aug 1, 2012
The Borkum Riff Whiskey is the only tobacco my wife forbids me to smoke again. Honestly, it's one of the worst tobaccos I've ever had but there must be some who like it because they keep running out of it and restocking around here. Keep trying different tobaccos and you'll find out what you like pretty quickly.
As for the stomach question, there are a few blends that give me massive heartburn and I can never predict which they will be.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Just ordered some AC Peterson Escudo, Erinmore Flake, Dunhill EMP and Captain Black Royal (my other Grandfather's blend of choice). I'll let you know how it goes!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
You picked good ones this time

CB Royal,IMO, is kinda a mass produced version of Lane LTD 1Q, one of my favs, so if you like it give 1Q a go, it wont be as goopy

I got my first tin of Erinmore flake a few days ago, I've only smoked one bowl but I think I'll like it, it's different..Escudo is excellent and I like EMP as well
I think you'll probably be happier with this haul

Make sure to let us know

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Welcome aboard brdavidson... that order you just placed sounds nice. Those are all favorites of mine (well except the Captain Black) I think you'll be happy. :puffy:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
You'll be happy and way better served with these tobacco's in your second order. And Chris said it all on the CB / 1-Q comparison.
Welcome to the world of pipesmoking. Sit back, buckle up, relax and enjoy the ride ;-)

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome to the forums!
EMP is a nice smoke for me especially once it's dried out a bit.
Escudo. YES. Settle into it. It's tasty.
When I die they can put little Escudo coins on my eyelids to pay the ferryman.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
A little related advice: if I were you, I'd go buy some new canning jars (the small ones, jelly sized I think) and transfer any tobacco that you don't like right away into a jar and set it aside. Pipe tobacco will keep virtually indefinitely if kept in an airtight container. This way you won't be stuck smoking something you don't like just to keep it from drying out. You can then come back to them at a later date and try them again.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Not a fan of Borkum Riff, either. Erinmore is not bad stuff, though. You should try pipesandcigars.com and get one of the Hearth and Home samplers. It will be worth the money as it is quality stuff and will give you variety.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Out of the original samples I had, just smoked the W/O Larsen old fashioned and it was the best smoke so far. Still aromatic, still mild in flavour, but it actually had flavour. Can't wait for my shipment to arrive later this week so I can keep trying!

Status
Not open for further replies.