Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shur

Lurker
Oct 5, 2014
For now lets just concentrate on the ones that involve pipe smoking.
(All info I've collected has come from online, I do not know anyone who smokes a pipe.)
My current pipe is a MM Diplomat I picked up locally.

My current tobaccos are Sail Yellow and Old Port.
A) The pipe:

A.1) Wow did this pipe taste awful for the first 3-6 bowls. I was happy when my tongue got scorched too badly to taste it any longer. Now that awfulness is 95% gone but still shows up to surprise me.
A.2) It smells like hot corn. This particular pipe had been sitting unsold for a very long time and I would have thought it would have thoroughly dried out getting rid of any smells. I hope this goes away.
B) The tobaccos:

B.1) Sail Yellow. I wish he has sold me a smaller pouch. He knows I like nice cigars, why would he sell me something that smells/tastes like this? The only reason I can think of is that he knew I'd be burning my mouth and not able to taste it as well as experimenting and burning through it more quickly that I would want to with a more expensive tobacco.
B.2) Old Port. My grandfather used to smoke Old Port cigars (with the tip) so even though I don't expect it to taste good at least I'll be able to reminisce with the smell. No, not even close.
C) Lighting the pipe:

C.1) Matches: I apparently have some bad matches, they all came thrown in with cigars that I've bought. I'll strike the match and let the sulphur burn off. I'll bring it down over the bowl and the match will go out before I've made a full circle. The match will have burned down less than 1/4". I'm sure I'm not blowing it out either through my nose of the pipe, the flame just shrinks to nothing. I'll try to find better matches.
C.2) (Butane) Bic: Not much trouble lighting with this except that I can't get to the edges of the bowl well. Then there's the problem of burning my tongue every time I light or re-light with these lighters. A slow 5 second draw while lighting hasn't helped. I find that I'f I'm pulling hard enough to get the flame to come down to the tobacco then I'm also pulling in too much heat. This only gets worse on re-lights as the flame needs to drop further.
C.3) (Oil) Imco: I had some decent luck with this today. I like that I can pull out the portion that is actually lit and use it like a large match. No burn on initial light or relights for the first 1/3 of the bowl but too much heat on all following attempts. Must also remember not to try and light the pipe immediately after lighting the lighter. Nasty oil smell & taste.
D) Smoking the pipe

D.1) Relights. I really don't care how often I have to light it but since I'm getting scorched I'd like to do it less. Just today the pipe went out, I tamped it a bit and relit. I got 2 good puffs just after lighting it but 20 seconds later nothing. This was about 2/3 down the bowl. I gave up at this point. I expect it would take me 10-20 relights to get though a whole bowl.
D.2) Either the plastic bit of this pipe is very soft or I am going to be absolute hell on any pipe I smoke. Will have to remember to find the proper size of vinyl tubing.
E) More to follow.
I bought the MM to practise before my ebay Meerschaum lined Kaywoodie Flame Grain arrives in the mail. I'm still excited for that to get here but not really enjoying actually smoking a pipe just yet.
Thanks for reading.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Most of your problems likely come down to packing the bowl too tightly. That means you're not getting much airflow, so the tobacco doesn't burn well. Then you start drawing harder and more often to keep it burning, which ends up scorching your tongue.
A common benchmark for packing is that draws should feel like sucking a soft drink through a straw. That's really not very much resistance when you think about it. If in doubt, go looser. If you find yourself tamping constantly, go firmer.
Better tobaccos probably wouldn't hurt either, but those should be at least passable if you're filling the bowl correctly.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
i love the MM's. I prefer them really especially for trying new tobaccos. they don't tend to ghost(leave a taste in the pipe). I think that the corn smell will subside. wouldn't recommend butane...especailly with the MM, that might explain your corn smell... don't want your pipe to start popping. there are several decently priced pipe lighters. I like the Zippo pipe insert lighters best, let it burn for a few seconds to not tast any lighter fluid. matches are just too hard especially when one has to do most of their smoking outdoors. relights: depend mostly on the moisture and how you pack it. here is how I do it. If the tobacco is a bit moist you might want to pack and let sit for an hour before smoking. Fill the bowl with loose toacco... tamp down to half the bowl, refill tamp to 2/3rds. refill last time, and leave loose... light then tamp (false light)... then relight. When you make the first fill not too tight... draw on it and make sure you got some air flow, otherwise you will be relighting several times. As far as tobacco... that's a matter of taste. try several. good ones to start with could be 1Q, Frog Morton Cellar, My Mixture 965, Dunhill Navy Rolls or Escudo. that is a bit of a wide range to try and see what you like. hope that helps a bit... Happy Smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd get some better matches, and I'd stick with those for lighting your pipe, at least for a while, for

the softer flame. Pack it looser, is a good suggestion. I think if you will get some more flavorful

tobacco it might help, maybe Carter Hall, Lanes 1Q or LL-7, or another mild aromatic, it might be

more pleasing. Take it slow. I think you're getting there, with a little more trial and error. Welcome

to Forums.

shur

Lurker
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks folks,

I'll try packing by the numbers tomorrow.

The pack I had today was the result of trying to get the "drinking through a straw" resistance. I had to pack it much tighter than I thought reasonable to get there.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You got a good pipe to start with, just terrible tobacco. Don't even attempt to smoke your ebay pipes until you've got the cob figured out.

Buy some quality tobacco (s!). Try some samplers, or pick out a few that strike your fancy upon reading their reviews.

Don't pack it too tight, and sip it just right.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"A.2) It smells like hot corn. This particular pipe had been sitting unsold for a very long time and I would have thought it would have thoroughly dried out getting rid of any smells. I hope this goes away."
I am assuming from this comment you bought a used MM cob. I would never do that. MM cobs are so cheap just buy new. Whether you are new to pipe smoking or just experimenting with new tobaccos you can buy one of the MM's without a hardwood plug for as little as $3; with a hardwood plug it's $10. You have no way of knowing what's been smoked in a used cob before and the fact they are cheap lends itself to the fact that people use them to smoke all kinds of things in them.
The hot corn taste could be from smoking so hot you are scorching the wall of the cob or from scortching whatever has been smoked in it before. At any rate due to the way your packing and puffing, it sounds like you are smoking it way too hot.

Good advise above,

Don't worry about not having the full diameter of the bowl lit. The flavor from a cigar comes from the tobacco just behind the cherry, on a pipe it's from the tobacco surrounding the cherry. On a MM, it's wide enough that you won't need the full diameter lit. I keep just a cherry in the center lit and use the tamp to tend to edge back to the center when I tamp.
I hate MM's. I'm not sure if just "some" of us can taste that nasty back of the throat hot corn taste, but it has never dissipated from my cobs. I only smoke Carter Hall in mine. It seems to mask that nasty corn taste for me.
And slow down. You're most likely scorching your tongue from trying to smoke it like a cigar. A pipe is all about sipping as slowly as possible, smoking it on the edge of going out. The smoke has to absorbed through your skin in your mouth into the small blood vessels. Just making smoke to blow into the air is just wasting the tobacco and the nicotine goodness, IMO. It takes me over an hour to smoke my MM Country Gentleman. And, I never make more than a gentle wisp of smoke at any time while smoking.
Just my 2 cents. Enjoy!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
The only time I have experienced the hot corn taste with a cob has been on a re light with the bowl down below half full. With the cob wall exposed if the re light takes too long for whatever reason you can scorch the wall and get that hot corn taste, no matter if using a lighter or matches.

shur

Lurker
Oct 5, 2014
Going out I'm doing well with, 'on the edge of' seems to be the catching point.
The MM is not a used pipe. Purchased new for $20 (Canadian prices).
Going to try lighter packing now.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I have a Diplomat and am loving it. Maybe it is the tobacco you are smoking? PM me maybe I can send you some samples that might interest you.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
My mistake then, Shur. When you said it had time to dry out I assumed it was used. Cobs are dried before they are turned into pipes so the problem shouldn't be from the cob itself.

I don't think everyone can taste the corn taste. I can even smell it when someone else is smoking a cob. But, keep in mind I have a serious aversion to corn in any way form or fashion. The smell of corn bread triggers my gag reflex. However, I keep several MM's on hand for mowing the yard or throwing at mating cats outside my window in the middle of the night. However, I can manage a burley in a cob, but when I try to smoke a VA or VaPer, I have to dump the bowl. There's something about that waxy burley taste that cancels out the corn taste.

shur

Lurker
Oct 5, 2014
Well, 40 min later and I'm a bit better at relighting while driving and I successfully refrained from pitching the pipe out the window.
Tobacco:

Old Port dried an hour before packing
Pack:

Fill loosly and pack down to half

Top up and pack to 2/3

Top up and light
Very difficult to light this time

The first 5-6 minutes I'm relighting every 90 seconds. Get smoke while lighting, maybe 2 pulls afterward then nothing. Tamp a little more each light.
Finally break the 90 second barrier but the remainder of the time I was lighting once for every song on the radio, approx 3 min average.

The pipe seemed to get quite warm even while going out, confused about that one.
We'll see how stubborn I am today and whether I'll give it another go.

There's still more than half a bowl remaining.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Howdy shur, welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of pipe smoking! Regarding the taste of corn in a new cob, I can say that in the two cobs I have, I never experienced this. I have heard of this before though. Maybe some folks are just more sensitive to the taste, or maybe it has to do with the crop of corn that MM is using. Anyways, it sounds like it is not an issue anymore.
In regards to packing, I have been at this less than a year and have had all of the issues you described. Packing correctly is one of the most challenging parts of pipe smoking. The best way to learn is to keep practicing and smoking and trying different techniques. Lately I've been using the "Palm Method" with greater success. See here http://www.qualitybriar.com/2013/05/back-to-basics-iv-how-to-pack-a-pipe/ for a description. Maybe give it a shot and let us know how it goes?

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Shur, as a comparatively new smoker myself I understand your frustrations completely.
I haven't much to add to the advice above, which is all great. I would, however, suggest that there's an inevitable 'noob phase' at the beginning of one's pipe career that you simply have to smoke through, regardless of how closely you follow all the instructions. But you will get past that phase. At some point you'll come to a mysterious, indefinable juncture, and thereafter things will look up. You'll find yourself packing better without thinking much about it, falling into a positive, natural smoking cadence, getting tongue-bit less, and tasting your baccy more. I've been at it for over a year and I still have occasional problems without things like re-lights and over-puffing, but in general I find the whole thing to simply be a much happier experience.
Obviously, do take in all the advice and try to apply it, but don't give up, because it will get better.
Oprah out.

shur

Lurker
Oct 5, 2014
Johnny

What I should have said is that the pipe had been in the store for a long time. Had to clear quite a bit of dust off the whole display.
That store seems to have a reasonable (if small) collection of tobaccos but nut much in pipes.

MM cobs, a Medeco display board and a rack of Meeschaum

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
" and I'm a bit better at relighting while driving"
Here's my take on driving and smoking: it's OK, once you've learned how to smoke a pipe, and you can do it with minimal thinking. But, in the mean time, keep your pipe smoking reserved for a time when you can sit back, relax, and pay attention to the pipe and how you are smoking it. As Cosmic already said, it's about low and slow, sort of the inverse of a cigar.
And for God's sakes, get yourself some better pipe tobacco!

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Agree with Woodsroad. Don't learn and drive! :(
I'll mention the one thing I haven't seen yet.
When I first started I tried a cob first, it didn't work out well. I switched to a briar pipe (a Savinelli One) and had a lot easier time. Didn't try a cob again until just a few weeks ago and now I don't have any problems with it.
Just a thought.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Shur, I agree with woodsroad also. Give each pipe full your undivided attention for now and pay attention to what it's telling you. A good starting point to work from in packing an average size bowl is 2 pinches in then a very light tamp; 2 more pinches in and a little firmer tamp; then 1 or 2 more pinches in and the firmest tamp of the 3. And remember, it's a tamp and not a ram. You are going to have a char light, then a re light. I would recommend sticking with kitchen matches and staying away from lighters while you learn. Mail order a better sampler of tobaccos if you need to. Take these as just some helpful suggestions.
Welcome to the forum Renia!

Status
Not open for further replies.