Newbie is Out of Borkum Riff, What's Next?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2013
I have been smoking for less than 3 weeks and I'm loving it! The suggestion for me was to start with Borkum Riff Original Mixture and its almost gone.
Is it ok to use the same pipe with different blends, including aromatics? What kind of blends do you recommend to try next?
BTW, I have an apple Carlo Perrucci pipe. Is this a correct way to describe a Pipe?
Your opinion will be very valuable for me.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Many will advise to steer clear completely of that tabacco. Let's call it a very cost effective choice. So it gets a bad rap when standing next to premium options out there. But! It's a wonderful place to start. Gives a good chance to let you appreciate others for where they shine.
Sky is the limit for choices. As for mixing tabaccos in same pipe. Most separate Aromatics from others. I think barring extremes, most of the ghosting you hear is relative to the individuals palate. No you won't ruin your pipe.
Yes describing it just fine. Typically shape reference comes after name, but everyone knows what your talking about so your good.
Welcome aboard and plenty if reading and poking around here. Glad to have ya.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, I would recommend not firing up a bowl of Nightcap (or another English/Latakia blend) in a pipe you've used for aromatics. I have a pipe dedicated solely to English blends. As for "whats next," if you want to stick with aros I would recommend 1Q (if you want to order offline), if you need to get something now, get a Captain Black blend like the white pouch and I've heard the newest blend, Dark, is really good as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can order online, or have access to a pipe shop, either an independent or chain like Tinder Box,

I'd recommend you buy some bulk tobacco, that is, in plastic lock-top bags, several selections in the

2 ounce size, so you can find what you like. Lane's Q-1 is sold as Wilshire by Tinder Box, and by many

other names. Peter Stokkebye's Nougat is sold as Northsea. These have less dressing than the over-the-

counter tobaccos like Borkum Riff. Read a few posts under tobacco on Forums and you will learn about

many different tobaccos and blends. Don't be overwhelmed, but this is a good source of suggestions and

information.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
If you'd like to step up to a tin and with a similar aromatic I'd recommend MacBaren 7 Sea Regular. It reminds me a lot of CBW, but it just has that extra something you can't quite put your finger on. I generally think it's a freshness since it is tinned and not in a pouch. CBW on the other hand is no slouch and +1 for their dark blend. You can go far with OTC blends. They are what I smoke most of the time because my tins stay at home.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
First off welcome to the forum, the best bet for a beginner is 1Q or, either Frog Morton Original or Cellar, all great starting blends.

~Ron

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I'm going to stand up for Borkum Riff. It is now made by Mac Baren (I believe)now and the quality and smokability is pretty good for a pouch tobacco. It isn't Penzance but it's good for what it is...INHO.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.