Newbie flailing on whether to smoke or not!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fella55

Lurker
Sep 29, 2015
First off, I am a newbie to this site and this is my first post. I would thank you in advance for your patience with me for what has turned out to be a tremendously long winded and rambling post. However, I just wanted to get my thoughts down in writing it in order to hopefully get some clarity of mind.
I am in somewhat odd place. I very much love pipes. There is something about the craftsmanship of a fine pipe that I find very attractive. I am drawn to collecting them. I also love the smell of unburned and burned pipe tobacco. However, the taste of burning tobacco is something that I struggle with. It just tastes like burnt “stuff” in my mouth, and the aftertaste just seems to linger and linger. I also don’t like the smell on my clothes etc. This has been the case with cigars, and thus far it is true with pipe tobacco. To be fair I am an extremely light smoker. We are talking about a cigar or two a year at special occasions if that. With pipe smoking it would be once or twice a month at most. From what I have read, it seems to take patience and time to learn how to enjoy the flavor of pipe tobacco. Both from the perspective of learning how to pack and smoke a pipe, as well as developing a palate for the actual flavors.
This brings me to my dilemma: I am a very health conscious person, and research anything that I do to the ends of the earth and so have some concerns. However, before I list them out, I would like to say that I believe that smoking involves making an educated decision. For me this means looking at the risks and balancing them against the rewards. For example (and on the extreme), if your are someone who has no family history of cancer and whose parents and grandparents smoked cigarettes all their lives and lived till 100, and you get tremendous pleasure out of smoking a pipe, then the risk reward probably leans towards going ahead and smoking. Conversely, if you have a strong history of cancer in your family and you get minimal pleasure out of smoking a pipe, then it might be a better decision not to do so. At the end of the day it is a completely personal decision that each person has to make. Basically individual choice and individual responsibility.
With the above in mind, I will list out my concerns. Most of you probably already know this stuff. Others may not, and may find it useful. Again, I am in no way trying to sway people one way or the other. As I said, and will say again: I believe 100% in individual choice and individual responsibility. To me that means getting the data and applying it to ones circumstance and making an educated decision:
1) While pipe tobacco doesn’t have any of the utter rubbish that is cigarette “tobacco”, it is treated with pesticides in the field. Some of these pesticides are quite evil, and we don’t seem to understand how they behave under combustion
2) We really don’t know what is in the tin of tobacco. I will say this: I absolutely wish that pipe tobacco would come with a list of ingredients including the amount of nicotine in the product. This goes to having the most complete data in order to make a decision. As an aside, I wonder if there could be a market for organic pipe tobacco that hasn’t been treated with pesticides etc.
3) Certain tobaccos have flavorings added. These have been defined as safe for eating, but there is no data about how they behave when combusted. I think the good news here is that one can avoid tobaccos with casings/toppings
4) Certain tobaccos have PG added. While we know this is safe as a food additive, we have no idea what it does when it is combusted and how the byproducts may be absorbed. This one is a little trickier since one cannot definitively know if PG has been added to tobacco
5) Unless you believe that there is a massive global conspiracy (which in my opinion doesn’t pass Occam’s razor), certain combustibles in pipe smoke are carcinogenic and the data supports the fact that they can and have caused cancers as well as contributed to heart disease. Will they do so in a specific person? That’s the golden question, and where we each have to make that risk/reward decision. Having said that, it seems to me that for a light pipe smoker this risk may be nominal; unfortunately, there just isn’t any data that spells out the risk for a truly occasional user e.g. once a week or a couple times a month. Part of it is my ignorance about how the carcinogens exactly damage DNA i.e. does it truly require many years of smoking, or can smoking just once cause that magic damage that will cause a cell to become cancerous?
6) Nicotine is highly addictive - more so than many recreational drugs. How much nicotine is absorbed by a pipe smoker? Is it enough to become easily addicted. i’m sure much of this depends on how much of an addictive personality one has. On the other hand biology is biology and nicotine is particularly aggressive in the way it rewires the brain e.g. by creating nicotine receptors. I do get a little concerned when I read threads about addiction, and folks say I do it because it makes me feel relaxed, but I can stop anytime. Doesn’t feeding an addiction exactly make one feel relaxed and at ease, or am I reading too much into the comments?
So the above are some of my concerns. Others may add to them, and some may disagree with them, but they are what rattle around in my head.
Now a little about me. I am 50 years old and so far in great health. Except for a brief experiment with cigarettes at fifteen that lasted several months, I have not been a smoker. I watch my diet, exercise religiously, and if I am honest I’m a little bit of a hypochondriac. Part of that is due to my family history. My father had heart disease and I watched him have a massive heart attack in front of me in his early fifties. He also contracted prostate cancer in his mid-fifties that ultimately killed him at 74. He briefly and rarely smoked a pipe for a few months in his forties, and he almost never drank alcohol. He did have a rather poor diet until his mid-forties. My father had five brothers: one brother smoked cigarettes for 30+ years, ate like crap, and had heart disease (but is still alive after a quadruple bypass); one of them smoked all his life, ate like crap, drank like a fish and ended up with emphysema in his late 70s dying in his late 80s. Another one smoked all his life, had schizophrenia and died in his 60s from a heart attack. One brother contracted cancer after a leg amputation, but it was believe that was due to some strange x-ray therapy that they tried on him (this is back in early 1950s). And the final brother smoked all his life, drank like a fish, had a horrific diet and died just shy of 90.
My mother was in great health until her early 70’s when she contracted pancreatic cancer which killed her in six brief months, and almost a year to the day after my dad died. On my mother’s side my grandmother lived till her mid-eighties, and my mother’s two siblings lived into their eighties. One of her siblings smoked all of her life. In my mother’s case, I think it was the stress of taking care of my father, having to work while doing so, and perhaps the fact that they lived Houston which unfortunately has terrible air quality - then again maybe it was something completely different; who knows really.
So where does that leave me? I could just continue collecting pipes, and opening up tins of tobacco and letting the aroma fill my man cave. Dorky, but basically zero risk. Or I could roll the dice and take a bit of risk, take the time up front to learn how to properly smoke and taste a pipe, then get into the smoking routine I want. Will I worry about cancer with every sore or lump in my mouth, or worry about one appearing? Probably. On the other hand as time goes by and should nothing happen that would likely diminish. Quite honestly, after watching my parents, I think that I have a (irrational?) fear of getting cancer. I understand that not smoking doesn’t mean that I won’t get it, but I fear that doing so will just add to the risk, and I wonder if I do smoke a pipe and do get cancer if I will wonder if it is because of smoking, and beat myself up for it? Or I might get hit by a bus tomorrow!
Methinks methinks too much!
Again thank you everyone for being patient and allowing me to write out my thoughts.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My guess is that if you're that concerned about risk, you'll never fully enjoy smoking a pipe. But whatever you decide, best of luck!

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I drink soda even though it's linked to Diabetes, I drink alcohol even though it causes liver damage--I weighed the risks when I was 25 and decided I could smoke tobacco responsibly, too. I don't inhale, don't drink alcohol while I'm smoking (that compounds the risk), I smoke less than a bowl a day, I try to drink something acidic to balance tobacco's natural alkalinity, and I'm not worried about addiction, because I don't smoke enough (I know that I'm not addicted because I take winters off--too damn cold!).

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Many "studies" do not hold up to scrutiny. Cigarette smoking may be a burden on health, but no life exists without other factors. I am sure that someone eating cheeseburgers, lying on a couch all day, and smoking even the safest of herbs would end up with some horrible disease.
Looking at the big picture, since there will be undertones of "justify your habit" here, pipe smoking fits in to a healthy life if the rest of the life is healthy and the pipe smoking is done sensibly. If you worry about goop on aros, smoke naturals; most of these are cased with liquors, oils and sugars. You are not inhaling the smoke, but absorbing it through your mouth, and these additives are probably less damaging than the stuff in the average fast food meal.
I also tend to look at this from a Nietzschean angle: your time is mostly predetermined by genetic factors, barring significant abuse, so embrace fate and go with what makes your life happy and full. If it makes you feel better, run a few miles and eat 4 lb of broccoli every day :)
But enjoy yourself. There are plenty of people in their late 80s and 90s with dementia and other horrible afflictions which will end them long after they ceased to be as functional minds. Others eat nothing but health food and jog constantly and still drop dead. There is a balance to be found here.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's not a healthy habit, if it tastes like burnt stuff in your mouth then why bother putting yourself through it? My first bowl I smoked I fell in love with the pipe. I'm sure many members will now come in and convince you why you should stick with it and "develop your palate". Collect pipes if it fancies you, you won't be the first person too.

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Live a little, stop overanalyzing, and find that perfect tobacco that you enjoy...my two cents for what it's worth.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I agree with jpmcwjr, it seems to me that you would be constantly searching for any sign of something going wrong and that you would be defeating the whole purpose of pipe smoking, which is relaxation. The truth is...that until you get the hang of it, you are going to get some tongue bite and you'll occasionally burn your inner mouth and tongue. It sucks, but that's what we all went through in the learning process, pipes take time to learn how to smoke correctly and you will need to find out (the hard way) which tobaccos jive with your mouths ph level. Some people can tolerate tobaccos that cause other people to get tongue bite etc.. You strike me as a very thoughtful and risk averse gentleman who enjoys the smell of tobacco and the beauty of a nice pipe, however, based on your above post, I really think that the learning process might give you a nervous breakdown every time you burned your tongue because you puffed too hard. There is no reason that you cannot collect pipes for their artistic value, many do, and hell, why not put some tobacco you like out in a dish to perfume the man cave! I'm not trying to be mean or harsh to you, just honest. Good luck, whatever you decide.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
If you can get past your concerns and just roll with it; try paying more attention to the ritual of smoking, try a few bowls of this and that, and if it doesn't suit you, I'd be more than happy to smoke your pipes and tobacco. You can experience it vicariously through me :D

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
It's been a long time since I studied at uni.

Tobacco cause mutations in DNA but it's a law of averages thing. Roughly every 15 cigarettes will cause a mutation, I have no idea how many per bowl and I also have no idea how many occur naturally per day. DNA replication doesn't always work perfectly - hence evolution. Now not all mutations lead to cancer but then some do. If you're after how much tobacco can you smoke without doing any harm; the answer is none. It's like asking how many roads can I cross before I get run over by a car.
The amount of nicotine absorbed will differ and everyone is different when it comes to addiction. I know I can smoke 3 bowls a day for a couple of weeks whilst on holiday and then put the pipe down and not smoke for several weeks. If you've never smoked then a couple of bowls will not have you hooked for life, an addiction kind of builds and it's easy to stop if you don't let it build to far.

ckgdrums

Lurker
May 20, 2015
Yep, in agreement with the above posters... if you're worried about it, don't do it...you will find it hard to relax, which is the whole purpose of the pipe. 8)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
6) Nicotine is highly addictive - more so than many recreational drugs. How much nicotine is absorbed by a pipe smoker? Is it enough to become easily addicted. i’m sure much of this depends on how much of an addictive personality one has. On the other hand biology is biology and nicotine is particularly aggressive in the way it rewires the brain e.g. by creating nicotine receptors.

Those receptors are fully developed in MY brain. I'm happy to have discovered a more healthy way to assuage them via pipe smoking.

You've obviously got inclinations. I'd say, smoke a bowl. I don't think addiction will result from the occasional bowl of properly (not inhaled) smoked pipe tobacco.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
6) Nicotine is highly addictive - more so than many recreational drugs. How much nicotine is absorbed by a pipe smoker? Is it enough to become easily addicted. i’m sure much of this depends on how much of an addictive personality one has. On the other hand biology is biology and nicotine is particularly aggressive in the way it rewires the brain e.g. by creating nicotine receptors.
Nicotine doesn't create receptors in the brain, they're already there. It's a naturally occurring drug. It's found in tomatoes and other foods most people eat on a daily basis.
It has many positive effects such as helping people with schizophrenia, delaying the effects of Alzheimer's, and heightening cotinine levels which help a person to focus on things more clearly. The pahrmeceutical industry has been trying to make a synthetic version of it to help people, but what they've come up with has had too many bad side effects to put on the shelves. Like alcohol you can only patent a processing of it, so it's very difficult to do.
I'll say from my personal experience I've been having 2-3 bowls a day for about three years now including some higher nicotine level blends like Luxury Bullseye Flake and Escudo and I've never experienced any wihtdrawal symptoms. If I'm too busy for a pipe or have a cold I can put the briar down for a few days or even or a week or two and not get the shakes or be Jonesing for a bowl.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
If your going to be scientific about all this, then you have to practice good science. Smoking increases your risk of disease. Solid science. But there are thousands of variables at play, how much, how, inhale, genetics, compounding factors, etc. The unknown factors are just that, unknown. In other words we know that regular inhaled tobacco over a lifetime decreases life expectancy. We have no idea what puffing on a pipe once in a while does. That's it.
We also think that stress plays a big role in health. If smoking a bowl or two stresses you out then maybe you shouldn't. For many of us it alleviates stress, which is good.
Finally these things are your choice and your responsibility. You can't blame McDonald's for being fat and you can't blame Mclelends for getting mouth cancer and you can't ask this forum to decide for you.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Sounds like you have taken good care of yourself and there is nothing wrong with having concerns about starting any adventure. Since you have turned fifty, my two cents worth would be that it is time to loosen up a bit and enjoy an exciting and very satisfying hobby. Take the time to read from the many experienced people on this site how to pack, light and then smoke your pipe and it will prove to be a wonderful source of relaxation and enjoyment. I just turned 62 this past summer and until May of this year never smoked a day in my life. All I can say is that I have enjoyed the adventure of pipe smoking immensely and have found several tobaccos that are beautiful to smoke and highly satisfying in their complexity and flavor. Every bowl is an adventure and an opportunity to sit and to think and contemplate. Inevitably, as the bowl winds down, I am left with the thought of how thankful I am for the blessings I have and the moments of peace and serenity that seems to come with each bowl.

I would say put your doubts aside, relax, and welcome to the forum.

P

pipebuddy

Dude, make a decision and stand by it. Think about the fact that you could get in your car tomorrow, or fly somewhere next week, and die in an accident.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Don't do it. We've had people before on here that constantly posted asking if this is a sign of cancer, is that a sign, what about this? You'll drive yourself and us crazy.
Hahaha
I like the 'don't do it for OUR sake' response.

So, +1 to that.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
1. The simple answer is that if you are that worried, then don't smoke a pipe or cigar ever. You can stop breathing also since the very air you breath contains pollutants - both manmade and natural - that can cause cancer. Don't drink water either because you never know what bacteria nature has introduced into the stream from a passing mountain goat.
2. Do some more research on pesticides used on tobacco. From what I've read, most tobacco plants are a natural pesticide and small gardeners have planted tobacco with tomato plants just for that purpose. That's not to say that the tobacco plants aren't fertilized and sprayed with chemicals to combat other fungal diseases.
3. Yes. In my experience some tobacco leave a not so pleasant aftertaste that can linger for a while. I have had some of those and I don't smoke them a second time. But not all tobaccos have that aftertaste in my opinion. Also, there are some tobaccos which do not have toppings or flavorings added. These are usually what we call English Blends and are not aromatic. Talk to a good tobacconist or an experience member on this forum and they can steer you towards a good one.
4. Is nicotine addictive. Yes. But how badly it is addictive is sometimes dependent on the individual. I started smoking a pipe in the 70s. When we learned one of our daughters had asthma and allergies in 1987, I quit smoking my pipe. Just put them away in a desk drawer and never even took them out to look at them. When she moved out to go to college in the early 2000s, I started smoking cigars and pipes. The same with drinking alcohol. I used to be a party animal on weekends. Now I seldom drink. The last 6 pack I bought lasted about a month. Point is, nicotine is addictive. I don't buy the argument that other drugs are not as addictive or harmful. I've been around too many marijuana users who can't make it through a day without getting lit.
5. Smoking cigars and pipes may kill you. Anti-smoking nuts like to say smoking killed George Burns but he was 100 years old. My father was a smoker and he died from emphysema when he was 74 years old. But, according to his doctor, his emphysema was caused more from the 50+ years of exposure to hazardous chemicals my dad worked around. He worked on commercial towboats and barges all his life and used to go inside the barges to steam clean them without any protective gear back in the 1950s.
Finally. I have always found it ironic that humans are the only creature created by God (if you believe in one) to work so hard to circumvent Gods will by striving to live forever. Think about it. If God had wanted man to be immortal, wouldn't he have made us immortal?

Status
Not open for further replies.