PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I'm just getting into amassing some bulk tobacco. When I put it in Mason jars, should I put it in loosely or pack the jar tight?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
av8scuba:

It is my understanding that you want air to be able to reach the tobacco to insure proper aging. I normally fill the jars loosely and then tap the jars to allow some settling. I leave about a half an inch dead air space in the top of the jars and then screw on the lid. I then label the jars and mark them with the jarring date. I loosely stack flake tobacco in jars and leave the required air space in the top of the jar. Others may do this differently and I would pay close attention to answers given by some of the other old timers that have been cellaring for years...

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I tend to pack it in tight, like they do the 8oz. tins. But I always leave about an inch on top before sealing the Ball jar. The oldest seal I've cracked from my own packing has been nine years.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but have you smoked enough different tobaccos to know that these are ones you want to "amass" ? If so, then by all means start amassing because it won't be getting any cheaper!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Keep stashing, Scuba. This hobby of ours is not - repeat - is not going to get any cheaper. I'm buying anything and everything for jarring. Some ten or fifteen years down the road if I don't like it I'll trade it or sell it.
Not a fan of Carter Hall today? Wait a decade or two and, if the U.S. follows the Canadian, U.K., Aus-NZ model, that 14 oz. tub might be worth it's weight in gold.
I wish I'd been thinking along these lines thirty years ago. But, back then, we weren't social pariahs or potential revenue streams like we are today.
Best of luck to you, Scuba. Keep buying what you can afford and get it under glass.
Fnord

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Keep in mind that while the jarring is important so is keeping the tobacco at a relatively constant temperature. I know some very experienced pipe smokers who store their jars in a cooler that you would take on a picnic. They then place this cooler in a dark closet away from the light.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
Thanks all!
Now for a followup question... What size Mason jars do you use (half-pint, pint, quart)? And "wide" or "normal" mouth size?
Thanks again for all the insights.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
I use the 8oz (fluid measurement) jars for tins (they can hold about 4oz weight) and the 16oz (fluid) jars hold just under 8oz (weight).

Status
Not open for further replies.