PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

punchdrunk

Lurker
Oct 4, 2017
I went to a local cigar and pipe shop and asked around there for suggestions on which pipe and tobacco to get for a first timer. I got a basket pipe and two samples of some aromatics, one was called Vanilla custard and the other was Sunset Rum. I was definitely drawn in by their amazing smell. I tried both of them and never got a taste better than a 99 cent gas station cigar. I dearly want to enjoy pipe smoking, any suggestions?

danb77

Lurker
Sep 19, 2017
I started with carter hall and smoked it out of a missouri meerschaum corncob pipe. Total investment was less than 12 bux. Carter hall is mild but has a good flavor that I really enjoy. It is also very easy to smoke as is the MM pipe.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
I never liked any of the aromatics much, I had a lot more luck with non-aromatics. Learning how to “sip” and keep the tobacco as barely smoldering as possible completely changed the flavors and made it much more enjoyable. Look up “stuff and things” and “muttonchop piper” on YouTube, they both have great playlists for brand new smokers.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
I dearly want to enjoy pipe smoking, any suggestions?
Avoid wet aromatics. I wish I had known this when I first started pipe smoking. I'm still trying to forget those hellish experiences I had smoking that infernal Captain Black Regular as a beginner.
But if you really want to smoke an aromatic that actually tastes good, try Amphora Red Full Aroma. It's really good and smokes dry with no bite. Also, look into trying the old codger blends such as Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Sir Walter Raleigh. They have been around forever for good reason- they smoke wonderfully. Good natural tobacco flavor with no goop and no bite.
Because I now totally avoid low quality wet aromatics, all of the pipe tobaccos I now smoke burn down to a fine ash with no dottle left over. Again, unless you enjoy burning your mouth and tongue on flavorless hot air, I recommend avoiding wet aromatics altogether.

punchdrunk

Lurker
Oct 4, 2017
I have been getting mixed opinions about the OTC tobaccos, I picked up some Captain Black original on my way home but haven't had a chance to smoke it. I'll pick up some carter hall as well, we'll see how it goes!

Jan 8, 2013
It seems I often hear how a B&M will recommend aromatics to a first time pipe smoker. Although I personally enjoy aromatics, I think that's a mistake. The high sugar content can cause the tobacco to burn hot (when you get it going) causing a too hot pipe, and the moistness of many aromatics can cause hot steam, leading to possibly serious tongue bite. I think it would be better to recommend an aromatic, a straight virginia, and perhaps an english or balkan, along with some good advise on how to better prepare and smoke them all. Especially the aromatic. Many new pipe smokers don't realize how many different kinds of blends there are. I know I sure didn't. When I first decided to take up pipe smoking, I was under the impression there were only a few blends under the Captain Black, Sir Walter Raleigh, Super Value, and Carter Hall banners. Man, am I glad I found this forum, because this forum really is where it all started for me. So I really can't thank the members of this forum enough. Hopefully you'll feel the same way in time, Punchdrunk. Welcome to the show.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
As a newbie myself, I agree with the above comments. I find aromatics too hot and wet for my nascent piping skills. I found more success and enjoyment out of the 'transition' blends like Frog Morton Cellar and mild English blends. EMP comes to mind, although even that will bite me if I push it too hard.
If you do end up sticking with aros, my experience was to let them dry out before attempting to smoke them, and even then, with the lightest of packs. You can always compress for a tighter bowl but its much harder to go the other direction.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Welcome to the forums. Take a look on smokingpipes.com and pipesandcigars.com both are great online retailers with great prices.
First key is slow down and smoke slower. As said previously you want it just barely smoldering to get the most flavor. You shouldn't be trying to get giant clouds of smoke. Just small little sips.
Second is try something other than an aromatic as most aromatics don't taste like they smell. Get 1 ounce of 3 or 4 blends from smokingpipes.com and see how it goes.
Here are my suggestions for bulks to try:

1. Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake (Virginia with a light flavoring)

2. McClelland 2015 Virginia Perique (Fantastic virginia perique mix)

3. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (Good intro to latakia and orientals)

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
I Early Morning Pipe is a good beginners ‘ tobacco. A tobacconists recommended to me when started.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I'd agree Carter Hall or a mild English would be a good way to dive into pipe smoking. I also enjoyed Frog Morton On the Bayou as an introduction to Perique.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. For tobacco, you'll have to discover your own tastes, so buy in smallest available quantities -- an ounce of bulk, or one pouch or small tin -- to see what you like. And when you find something really good, don't buy a large quantity, not until you've been smoking a pipe for two or more years. Try non-aromatic as well as aro.

Status
Not open for further replies.