PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

roo53

Lurker
Mar 30, 2014
Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a bit and taking quite a bit of very helpful information away from this site. I thought it only polite that I now join and say thanks, which I do most gratefully.
I'll tell you a little bit about myself otherwise I expect some of you will go to sleep with the boredom of it. I'm 60 years of age, married (40 years - and lovin it!)and have three grown up kids who still spend a lot of time 'at home' which is really nice. We enjoy our kids and their respective partners very much. We live on the outskirts of Brisbane, Australia, in a nice middle class leafy suburb which is famous for nothing other than being 'ordinary'. I like ordinary!
I am semi retired after having developed a couple of small businesses of my own over the years of my working life. I needed to retire early because of some haunting health reasons but at the moment life is good save for the learning curve involved in having much less cash to spend on toys and interests like pipe smoking.
I'm a pipe smoker from way back. The problem with it though was that I also smoked cigarettes and lots of the rotten things. My wife always loved the smell of some of the aromatics I used to smoke and I always promised her that if I reached 65 I'd take up the pipe again, but no cigarettes - she'd hunt me outside if ever I tried to light up inside. She hated the smell - come to think of it, so did I. Well, I'm about 5 years early, but I'm just having five bob each way - just in case!
I gave up smoking fairly close to my fortieth birthday (20 years ago) so in real terms I am totally new to 'This Age' of pipes and pipe tobacco's. My favourite back then was an old Barling and a Bent Pete so I've purchased a couple of brand new Petes to get me going, but with this age of technology, 'wow', look at all the pipes on the internet - I'm gonna have a ball. The one thing I'm having trouble finding is Amphora Aromatic Tobacco. I didn't smoke it because I particularly liked it - I found it fairly bland and uncharacteristic of anything really, but my dear wife just loved it when I lit up a bowl of it....so I'm trying to track down a bit for the Minister for War and Finance!! Otherwise my pipe buying spree may be cut short, very short indeed.
Thats about it folks, I'm a fairly ordinary bloke with fairly ordinary views from a fairly ordinary place. As I said, I do love ordinary.....hmmmmmm!! Except in pipes!!
Thanks so much for allowing me to join with you all in this online community. I do appreciate it very much and look foward to chewing the fat every now and again.
My warmest regards,

Barry (roo53)

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Welcome aboard!
The world of pipes has changed a lot in the last 10 years or so, and it's a lot of fun!

As for the Amphora, I've never smoked it myself, or even looked for it, but I know there are a few guys on here that smoke it. I'm sure one of them can tell you where to find it.

I hope you enjoy getting back into the pipe. Feel free to ask any questions you might have!
Once again, welcome aboard!

Dan
PS; Got any pictures of those two new Petersons?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum, Barry. I would suggest looking online for Amphora at European sites. I have not seen that blend available here in the USA for quite a while. I believe it is still made by Imperial Tobacco in the Netherlands. Good luck with your search and get involved here. Lots of great pipers here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Altadis makes some good-tasting (to me) bulk tobaccos that are reasonably priced and have good

room note (for your wife). These include "Queen Anne's Revenge" (Va,bur,Cav, with rum) and

"Casanova" (Va,bur,Cav) which claims room note as a feature. The numbers of aromatic tobacco

blends is vast, so it is just a matter of finding your way to the ones you like best, an embarrassment of

riches. Trying to match something from the past may be hassle, since blends do change over time.

roo53

Lurker
Mar 30, 2014
Thanks everyone. It's good to be here.
I've been a bit ill, but as soon as I'm back on my feet I'll put some pics up of my latest acquisitions and I'll tell you a story about getting tobacco into Australia. Again, thanks for having me.
Regards to all

Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.