PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Hello all. I'm a cigar smoker. Decided I wanted to try pipes. I have two cobs on the way - the general and country gentleman, regular pipe cleaners, a pipe tool and the following tobacco. C&D autumn evening and bayou night. Frog Morton on the town. Orlick golden slice. And, escudo navy deluxe.
Can't wait to stumble into this hobby. Question, which blend should I try first. Should I pick another blend up or delve into what I have ordered? I like med to full cigars generally, although I'll certainly grab a mild connie when the mood strikes.
Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Looks to me like you know exactly what your doing. You for sure have done your research glad to have you on board the pipe train. As far as advice you got the cobs to start that's good and you picked some of the top blends that lots on here enjoy that's also good. Only thing I can say is take your time smoking the pipe and enjoy it. Cobs are forgiving burners and will bring you great enjoyment at a fraction of the price. When your ready to move on to a briar pipe I'm sure the guys and gals on here will help you out with that also. Happy smoking.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I think you'll find the blends you have there will blow your mind, and deliver flavor unlike anything you've ever tasted in the cigar world.
You're off to a fine start, but should you come across any problems feel free to drop us a line.
I would say to get some airtight jars that you can open and close easily and just smoke a little bit of everything you have. As soon as you open them though put them in the airtight jars.
Try them wet, try them dry, decide where your sweet-spot is. From what I hear OGS comes very wet so maybe a little more dry time for that.
Welcome to the wonderful world of pipe smoking.
Post some pics when your stuff comes in and let us know what you decided to smoke first!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey, welcome aboard!
I agree with Spartan and smokeybear, you have a good variety of tobacco types, each delivering a different smoking experience. I think smoking multiple bowls of each tobacco type, at different times of day, and in different pipes will help you get a handle on what you like and what you don't. Even with a cob, you might want to dedicate one pipe to your aromatics, one to your blends with Latakia, and one to your non-aro/non-latakia blends, so you can be certain you're getting the taste of the tobacco without carry over/ghosting.
-- Pat

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Wow, you started with some great blends. Escudo is my favorite of that bunch but Frog Morton On The Town is very good and Orlik Golden Slice is very highly regarded around here. I think you did really well in picking a good cross-section of tobacco types. Smoke some of each and that will narrow down your preferences a little. The truth is there are so many blends you can never try them all. The best thing to do is to try a good number and then see what "family" your favorites fit into.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
First, I think your choices for "my first pipe tobacco" put most of the rest of us to shame! Don't you know you're supposed to start with a cheap drugstore blend, burn your tongue, throw your pipe across the room, and then try it again in five years? Your aromatics are strong popular choices, and your non-aromatic blends are some of the best in their respective categories. Honestly, you can't go wrong here. (Just don't expect to love them all.)
If I were in your shoes -- a medium-to-full cigar smoker -- I think I'd start with the Escudo. It's a high-quality Virginia, with the addition of a noteworthy amount of perique. This will give you some of the spice and the nicotine you'd find in a full cigar, but with a totally different flavor/aroma profile. After you've lived with the Escudo a while, then you might want to try the Frog Morton, which is a completely different kind of blend. (The Orlik, while being different from either of those, has more in common with the Escudo than the Frog.)
The only problem with this approach is that you might get to the Autumn Evening and be bored. It's a fairly mild aromatic, although I've found that it does deliver some tobacco flavor. (Not all aros do!) But it's not going to taste anything like it smells, and that may leave you wanting something. . . more. The Bayou Night might offer that; I haven't had it, but the "bayou" tells me it contains perique as well, which should give it some spice and body.
Really, though: You can't go wrong with any of these blends.
Bob

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on everything said so far. When I started, I had a drugstore pipe and a drugstore tobacco. You're starting with a level of sophistication that I didn't have for a couple years into the hobby, and then only with the tutelage of one of the pipe world's greats. I'm partial to the Frog Morton, and would use the autumn evening as a change off or palate cleanser. Here are the rules I give to every new pipe smoker:

One. The tobacco should be drier than you think it should be.

Two. You should pack the tobacco looser than you think you should.

Three. You should smoke the pipe slower than you think you should, shipping slowly to prevent the bowl from getting too hot.

Enjoy your new hobby --we're glad to have you aboard.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Sounds like you did your homework, that's quite a variety of tobacco you've picked, and some nice choices at that! You're headed in the right direction for sure!

Be sure to read up on the different methods for preparing, prepping and smoking those flakes and coins and you should do fine. Just remember to take your time, give a good charring light and a good true light, smoke slowly and tamp with a light touch. And remember, relights are common (especially when you're learning), and they're not really a bad thing.
Welcome aboard,

Dan

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Wow. Thanks for the input. It's so overwhelming deciding where to start. Your encouragement is very welcomed. Can't wait to get my order in. Petes03 I am a little worried about how to handle the different cuts of tobacco. I had no idea they came in so many variations. That's my next research project. Thanks again all.

poopdeckpappy

Lurker
Jan 24, 2014
I like your choices of tobacco the escudo I didn't like out of the tin but when it aged a bit I really enjoyed it.

It was also what I learnt how to fold and plug which burns really slow and for a cigar smoker that was great. I am surprised you didn't get one of those over the top aromatics just to get them out of the way since the smell so good

Enjoy your journey and slow down ,

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
You've chosen some excellent tobaccos...like earlier advice, try them fresh from the tin, let some dry out a bit for a few days and try it again...and if there is a particular blend that your not thrilled with, seal it in a mason jar and put it away in a dry, cool, dark location out of the sunlight and come back to it in 8 months to a year...you may be surprised how some blends change after you age them a little while...

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Hello all. I have a report. Got everything in and started with the escudo in my general. It was very windy and cold and I couldn't seem to keep it lit. There were some times I thought I had it going, but then it died out. I'm sure its a packing issue. I rubbed the coins out. I'll keep trying. Had lighter issues too!
Question. On taste, I was shocked at how much of a strong "Hay" taste the escudo had. There were some elements of the flavor that were enjoyable when it got going, but the "Hay" was a bit overwhelming. Is that a typical taste for that blend or a Va/Per in general? Do you think it could have been my mechanical problems or anything from it being the first bowl in my cob?
Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I replied to your last question in the separate thread you started, but on this one, great selection of tobaccos to start with, as everyone else has said, that's a great way to begin and I wish I had done that!
I started with Petersons Gold Blend and I have no idea what made me buy it, it was pleasant though and I need to get another tin to try as that was 5 years ago now!

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Welcome to the forums and you have ordered a good choice of baccy to start with.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Deuce, the hay notes are but one spectrum of Virginia flavor. So fear not if you dislike that particular flavor profile. You'll also find sweet, citrusy Virginas; deep, dark Virginias, and everything in between. In your other thread I recommended Marlin Flake as a sweeter and more plummy VaPer. Think stewed fruit. Very, very different than Escudo. I would also recommend Orlik Golden Sliced for a more citrusy Virginia that is very, very light on the Perique.
Another side of this noble leaf is the McClelland fermented style of Virginia with a pronounced tang in both tin note and taste. Many liken it to ketchup and vinegar. A good VaPer choice in this flavor profile is St James Woods, or Beacon. For more of a Perique hit there's Beacon Extra.
For something completely different, try GL Pease's Haddo's Delight: big Perique, smooth-as-silk Virginia, touch of unflavored cavendish, burley. Delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.