PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaw

Lurker
Mar 3, 2015
I am relatively new to pipe smoking. In the year or so I have been smoking I have found a few blends I like but am not sure "why". What I mean by that is what are the tobacco types responsible for my affinity. For instance I like frog norton cellar and Mississippi mud and Hh anniversary kake(which seem similar flavor wise to me). Three nuns and escudo are not as satisfying for me and I don't really like 4th generation 1931 but all are VAPERs ? I am trying to learn the kinds of blends and tobacco that I like but have no idea what flavor profile and blending profiles are responsible. Can anyone clear this up? What tobacco types should I look for?
Much appreciated!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Also ... read all the pages at Pipedia:
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Tobaccos

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome Thaw. First, learn to enjoy the journey. You already have learned that one VaPer isn't like all the other VaPers. Similar but all different. You may have noticed that the same VaPer smoked in a large stack is a completely different animal than when smoked in a small pot. It takes time and experience to appreciate the world of tobacco.
But I understand your interest in developing your palate and approaching this hobby in an organized fashion can help. If you smoke blends helter-skelter with no plan, you can go years and never really understand anythbing except which blends you like and which ones you don't. Which might be fine for some.
Russ Oullette will be guiding us on a Tobacco Crawl in April. During a crawl, the participants smoke four different blends in a month, one each week. We compare notes and impressions. It is a good way to get to know tobacco and blends in depth as well as a way to get to know some of your fellow pipers here at PipesMagazine.
I learned more about pipe and tobaccos in the six or so crawls I participated in last year, than in the six years prior. And I got to know some great guys while I was at it.
Pax

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
A number of years ago I found a small paperback "All About Tobacco" by Milton M Sherman. I found it a very helpful guide for the initial introduction to Tobacco types and blends. I suspect it is long out of print but you might be able to find a old copy on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.