PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

longhunter

Lurker
Feb 22, 2014
So i just bought a pipe and it says "sportsman imported briar" inside the stem the is this metal awl like item and im not sure what it is. Will try to post pics. Thanks

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Those are used to help cool the smoke on some pipes, they don't work that great some says and pull them out. They do tend to get in the way if your smoke gets a bit wet and starts to gurgle and you try to run a cleaner down the stem.
Personally I leave mine in the pipe as I like them being the way I bought them.
BTW welcome to the forums.

longhunter

Lurker
Feb 22, 2014
KINDLE_CAMERA_1391720921000_zps058907a1.jpg.html

That should work. Thanks for the insight as well as the welcomd

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If I understood what you're describing correctly, what you have is a stinger.
Sometimes helpful, sometimes a pain in your Ass.

Jan 8, 2013
Ive ditched the stingers I found, my first pipe had one too. The shopowner threw it out for me. Never missed it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Several years ago nsfisher told me that stingers weren't worth the time or effort to keep shiny.
He was right.
Another piper told me to keep them - in case of a sale or trade - and I do have them in a plastic sandwich bag tucked away in a smoking drawer.
But I couldn't match them today with the original pipe.
My apologies to any of you guys who end up with my "estate" burners.
Fnord

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey there longhunter. The inner tube style "stinger" you're describing often just pulls right out of the stem with a pair of pliers and a steady hand. If it doesn't come out with a firm, but gentle, pull then consider warming the stem slightly with a hair dryer or warm water in your sink. Once you've warmed the ebonite up a bit, try pulling it out again. If it still won't come out, you could always cut the offending aluminum off. Note that cutting it off will devalue it on re-sale.
Good luck,
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.