PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Hi,
I just purchased this pipe (Dark Fish): http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/82480/meerschaum-depot-figural-fish/
I read a little bit about meerschaum pipes. I hear you're not supposed to hold them by the bowl if you want to color them. Is the Dark Fish meerschaum lined, or is it all meerschaum and has been colored? I don't like holding pipes by their stems, but I also don't want to ruin this pipe.
Another question if you have time... The title says Dark Fish /w Tamper. Does this mean the carver had extra meerschaum from the pipe and made a tamper out of it?

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
It is all meerschaum and has been waxed to give it that dark color.
See this thread: HERE
I asked the same questions a few weeks ago and got good answers.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You can hold them, just make sure your hands are clean. As the bowl heats, it absorbs the wax on the surface, and any dirt or grime on your hands gets absorbed with it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thats pre-colored and so it should absorb a fair amount of abuse unless you drop it or something. Don't forget to make sure you don't get cake build up in the bowl as that will result in the pipe splitting due differentials in heat expansion. Outside of that you have a well priced and fun smoking ornament. Enjoy! 8)

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Condor, I have a meer that is carved very sharply around the crown, as many of the figures are. Round surface pierced by large drill bit. It is a smaller pipe carved as an American Bison. The first time I lit it ( matches) it chipped on the rim. This is the first time I have ever had this happen on a meer. The chip is small enough that I believe I can sand it out with wet and dry. Just take down the edge all the way around the rim to more of a flat than sharp edge. Do you have any ideas as to why it would chip? I never dropped it and keep all of them in their case when not smoking them. Would the sanding be a problem on the rim?

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I concentrate on finding tobacco I like to smoke. I don't worry about color but that will come reguardless if you smoke it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.