PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Not everyone agrees with a New Zealand Defence Force move to stub out smoking in the military by 2020.
New Zealand First leader Winston Peters, asked for his thoughts on the move, rounded on Government "hypocrisy", political correctness, and the media in one swoop.
To achieve the goal, the military plans to ban the sale of cigarettes and tobacco at army bases, or camps, and make military housing smokefree.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/93172207/the-new-zealand-defence-force-will-be-the-first-smokefree-armed-force-in-the-world?cid=facebook.post.93172207
Good to see that some people are fighting back.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
What a Crock of Shit, you can take a Bullet , but not a Cigrette, this Frigging World is gonna PC its self to Death, and with that I stumble to my old porch, coffee in hand a loaded pipe and Grunbling F:);/"!:) the World.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why this isn't tobacco in my pipe. It's the sweet souls of plants drifting gently toward the milky way.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I think bullets are a far more danger to a soldier's health and well being than tobacco.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Sigh...I am not surprised, this 2025 smokefree plan has been in place a long time in my dear homeland, I remember the smokefree posters when I was very young. WInston Peters is a great guy to have in parliament, I dont agree with everything he says, maybe not even half but he sure calls people on their bullshit and I appreciate that.
Isaac

datascalabash

Lurker
Aug 6, 2009
I can READILY understand gettin' rid of the Damn BUTTS...
Data's Calabash here...as a lifelong hater of anything to do with those "damn butts", if what New Zealand's military plans to do was STRICTLY limited to cigarette prohibition, I'd be 100% in favor of it.
The U.S. military, from the Revolution through the Civil War era, was more-or-less strictly clay churchwardens and stogies (pipes more-or-less constant through the whole period, with cigars coming in by 1861) and if it were to do the same, that would be a huge plus for the Department of Defense — and END one of the greatest causes (from cigarette self-pollution) of avoidable disease in military veterans, period.
Natural tobacco was the prevalent reality of smoking pleasure before 1865 (think about it, crude oil wasn't pumped out of the ground on a commercial basis ANYWHERE in the United States before 1859) before toxic petrochemicals arrived in "butt-stuffins" very shortly after the Civil War's conclusion...even today, for those of us who rightly choose natural-leaf-ONLY, hand-made cigars, and naturally-sourced, hand-blended pipe mixtures; simply avoiding consumption of any form of hard liquor "at-or-around" the time we're lighting up (as I don't touch that "hard-stuff" stuff in any way!) and staying away from those "damn butts" for my entire life as I've always done, can keep one from being harmed on the whole.
And I do remember speaking many years ago (1980s) having a very pleasant conversation in Braintree, MA with a USMC corporal from South Carolina who was enjoying his briar, and living south of Boston while he was serving at the now-closed Aouth Weymouth NAS, and had never touched those "damn butts" himself...I hope he's still with us (never caught his name, though)...I also hope he's been able to enjoy them ever since, and will still be able to enjoy his briars in the future, although he's most likely retired from the service by now.
If OUR servicepeople in uniform want to enjoy a pipeful or cigar in an appropriate situation and timeframe, they should CONTINUE to be able to enjoy them...if the Federal government simply wants them to be "damn BUTT-free" while still freely allowing them to enjoy a briar or stogie from time to time, though, that's just that much better.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
While I truly appreciate your hard-on against cigarettes, how do you feel about chewing tobacco in the military? That also seems to be fairly common.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Makes perfect sense to me. Some people in New Zealand do not want their soldiers to do anything that could possibly harm them. I also understand they are trading in the Steyr AUG Bullpup 5.56 for the Nerf N-Strike Retaliator. :crazy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Research shows the NZDF to be all voluntary. No "compulsory service" so the members can live with the rules or depart. The savings in property maintenance will be substantial for base housing. Many landlords all over the world prohibit smoking to improve their bottom line by reducing expenses. I smoke smokes and enjoy it. But, were I a landlord, I'd not rent to smokers or pet owners. Too damned expensive when they leave! Of course if the rental market fell off I'd rethink my position.
And, I cannot think of a reason why the Government should permit the sale of cigarettes/tobacco on a military base. Vendors outside the gate will benefit from this through increased sales.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I got understanding that not so long ago cigarettes/Tabac were give to soldiers free as daily ration, at least in French the professional military(brands:Scaferlati Caporal fine cut/ Gauloise cigarettes) moreover, here in Finland our government just announced they're forseeing the whole country as a smoke free zone till the end of 2025,but I can't believe they are seriously planning this,better do consider this like somekinda childish advertisment.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I would think this policy would hurt their recruiting numbers (If they actually do recruit people).

So in order for me to join the military, I have to quit smoking? Hmmm... NOPE!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I didn't read anything in the article prohibiting the members from smoking, particularly off base/fort. I suspect they'd be very happy if smokers do not volunteer and they can still still meet staffing requirements. It is only a "defense force" not an army designed for overseas service. If they can meet the needs without smokers, I suspect they will prohibit tobacco use altogether. I see no downside either to smokers nor the NZDF.
If the NZDF can meet their needs with healthier, non-smokers, keeping health care costs down, housing refurbishing costs, etc... more power to them. Many employers avoid hiring smokers. Many employers prohibit such on company property and in company owned vehicles. If we choose to smoke, we limit our employment possibilities. It's the way the world is going. I empathize with the younger smokers but, I'm really too old to care. I was born at the right time, they weren't. Life's a bitch, then you die.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Warren, that's the most eloquent way of saying, "I got mine; fuck you" I've ever heard! :rofl: Every word of it absolutely true, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.