PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uchiacon

Lurker
Apr 25, 2013
Hey Guys,
I'm a beginner pipe smoker situated in New Zealand. I First got into tobacco with cigars and have enjoyed tobacco products a few times a week ever since. Coincidentally, cigars here are in low demand, low supply and high price, and never stored in a proper humidor. $25USD easy for a standard cigar of low/medium quality.
I want to switch over to pipes because I like a bit of nicotine every now and then and I don't want to have to finish a whole cigarillo or cigar.
Problem is there is only one online store in NZ for pipe tobacco. Get a load of this; between 70NZD and 90NZD (60-77USD) per 35 or 50g quantity of tobacco. That's right, 66-70USD per pouch or tin of tobacco. And it aint high quality brands, 10 brands in total and only 6 are kept in stock. NZ customs charges 700NZD (600USD) per KG of tobacco products +15% sales tax and a $50USD handling fee for all shipments requiring processing.
We used to have a tobacconist in the city but that was flattened in the 2011 feb earthquake and I dont know where he's gone.
To the big question, would anyone know someone or a supplier that would be able to help me out by marking shipments as gifts or something similar? I smoke very little as mentioned above and I really can't afford $70NZD+ for a pouch of tobacco that I haven't tried before.
Thanks

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Could always grow your own... Seeds are cheap. I did the math and my little 18'x8" garden could easily net me 60+ ounces a year. The downside; This requires work and what you grow you can't really smoke until they've hung for a year and then you still have to figure out how to make a blend you like. Like my grandaddy said, "Iffin youse can grow tomaters; youse can grow tobacco. Itsa hardy plant, just needs da water."
Could be a good project and no doubt a learning experience, and maybe they are so strict with customs over seeds; for that matter they might have some you can buy locally.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Here check this guy out he's in New Zealand too. Maybe you can bum some from him.

http://theoldfirm.hubpages.com/hub/Tobacco-Growing-and-Curing-at-Home

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
gday i am guessing from your post your in Christchurch? there is one guy down there that sells pipe tobacco and cigars .. still expensive but not as bad as our online shop... thats the cigar lounge TJ is the guys name ... there is also a wee barber shop down there that sells for $60 a tin but limited stock lol .... my advice buy online from the states ... 4noggins and boswells are two of the best here and as far as i know its boswells 4 noggins and pipesandcigars that we order from mainly.... remember keep your orders under 250g for our friends in customs and fingers crossed you should have minimal probs with most orders making it through without hassels ... if your ever up in Auckland feel free to stop by and have a pipe with some of us.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
There use to be another guy from NZ on this forum. He grew his own to avoid all the taxes. Have not seen him in a long while. Hell at $60 a pouch you might as well drink kava. Hell I can only get dried out kava from Hawaii by way of Chicago on line and I am in California. If I knew how to avoid customs I would propose a trade with ya. Fresh kava for some sweet sweet tobacco!

uchiacon

Lurker
Apr 25, 2013
Thanks for the input guys. I thought I was going to get shunned at the suggestion of getting tobacco past customs.
I'm studying engineering and I don't have time to grow tobacco. It's only practical to outsource it to the companies that do it. I make my own beer but tobacco is too much of a stretch. The only time to really grow here is spring; summer is hot and dry and winter is just too cold.
I've ordered a 1oz bag of lane limited 1Q tobacco(for like $2.50usd + shipping??!) from smokingpipes.com, I assume they're going to give it all the proper paperwork. Even if it's declared as tobacco will small packages usually slip through without unnoticed without these outrageous duties?
I'm keen to order a few more pouches (probably some dunhill, captain black, prince albert and maybe a handful of others) so I can have a good taste of the different brands. Definitely want to try some british tobaccos. Been mainly looking at entry level tobaccos, but I hope I don't get them and dislike the taste (1Q has been described by one or two people like the candy isle in walmart lol?)
I want a tobacco that's like a good cigar, I'm a big fan of high cocoa chocolate as well. The past weeks I've smoked a few cheap "wee willem" cigarillous (really awful but there's not much else available), so I've put up with some pretty low grade tobacco products and my palate is hardly new to strong(currently unpleasant) flavours. Something medium taste that doesn't leave a cheap, bad residue in my mouth. I can really appreciate quality tobacco and cigars, I've had some mid range cigars here and I really enjoyed the complex flavours. I can taste the effort and time that's gone in, I don't want some mild, weak and cheap tobacco that everyone likes because it's so tasteless (like most lagers?hahaha)
Maybe someone could suggest a good tobacco based on the above description ;)

uchiacon

Lurker
Apr 25, 2013
Fresh kava contains pipermethystine which is purportedly hepatotoxic. Good that you're getting dried stuff, it contains significantly less ;). I've never heard of the drink made from it...
Getting something past customs would be as simple as declaring it as something else. Finding someone willing to do this would be a bit hard, all the websites I have seen are strict on declarations.
Chinese/indochinese/south american/ex societ bloc mail is all scrutinized highly here in NZ; things like US/euro/aus (i.e civilized countries ;) gets through with a lot less scrutiny. Size is very important too; packages under 1kg get less attention than ones over, but anything over about 5kg usually gets checked regardless where its from. I have a bit of experience doing this as I'm quite competent with my organic chem, but there are many variables.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Have you tried the CAO range of tobaccoes ... they are supposed to be the same tobacco thats in the cigars ... i have tried the moontrance and its pretty good so i am going to assume the rest are ok and that the CAO flavoured cigars are pretty good to ... btw customs can tax any form of tobacco in any quantity ... they do seem more relaxed when its under the duty free amount of 250g and when its marked as gift with $0 value ... i sent you a pm if you would like to try any of the tobaccoes we have ... we have a nice chocolate cream from boswells which is damned good

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Those are horrendous prices! My sincerest condolences that NZ chooses to punish men who simply want to enjoy their pipes. What has the world come to? I suppose you must limit yourself to less than 250g per order. Rich at 4noggins does a superb job with overseas shipping I've heard. How sad that piping has become a richman's sport under such oppressive taxation.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Lol hey we still get to enjoy it just not to the extent of others . And the very few pipe smokers here are top notch blokes sofar in my experiance, and hey the fishing is great and its a lovely country

Aug 1, 2012
I love NZ, especially the south island, but you Kiwis really have it rough with duty/tax...especially on tobacco and the like.

coolsiggy

Lurker
May 18, 2013
I've been using a USA Internet shop for many years and although it's still costly it is cheaper than local retail. Here in Oz with 200% duty + shipping I normally pay about $475.00AUS for 32 ozs. This also gives you a much greater range of premium tobacco.

carbz13

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2013
I ordered some Capstan Blue from e-tobacco shipped to the States. I believe they ship worldwide and guarantee delivery past customs or they'll resend the order. Shipping is a bear, but it might be worth a try.
I've also ordered legit absinthe (banned everywhere here but Las Vegas IIRC) from a German company that also guarantees delivery- they also mark some of the packaging "Not For Human Consumption" as an added measure to ensure it gets past.

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Hello,
In May, I spent my honeymoon in New Zealand...I'm truly in love with NZ...wish I could move there forever!

I'm sure that I will be back in NZ, maybe sometime next year, I will make sure to bring some "gifts" for you guys in NZ.
Greetings from Phoenix, AZ

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
This is where I find cup o joes is really good for international orders as they have right on their website a box you check that says send it as a gift.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
And I thought we were overtaxed in the US. It seems to me that extraordinary measures are called for.
Just wait until if they can pass the medicare bill or not, then you'll see some taxes, up here in Soviet Canuckistan, we can complain about being taxed high.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
I can half-way relate, where I live in Canada it's about 85 cents a gram, or $25 an ounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.