PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Just another day in the Land of The Free: NY Shop Fined $60,000 For Selling Gun-Shaped Lighter.
Wow. How could anyone operate a business and survive with this kind of totalitarian lunacy going on.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/times-square-camera-shop-sues-city-gun-lighters-article-1.1332761

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
'That could be mistaken for actual weapons'. Like the girl detained by the TSA for having an embroidered sixgun on her purse.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well the seller broke the law, right?
Apparently so. But traditionally, in addition to constitutional restraints, laws are supposed to reflect a societal standard of reasonableness. If a $60K fine for selling a novelty lighter is now considered reasonable, this society is insane, IMO.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It will be interesting to see what the court says. It seems to me that, since the shop showed good faith by returning the lighters when DCA issued the violation, that they showed be treated much more leniently.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
The fine people of NY voted for this guy - now they get to live with him and his ideas. Just hope he doesn't decide to run for something bigger, it's insane enough.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
The fine people of NY voted for this guy - now they get to live with him and his ideas. Just hope he doesn't decide to run for something bigger, it's insane enough.
+1000000000000

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Seems to me everything has gone nuts.
+1
No matter what, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. It's akin to slicing off a hand for the theft of a piece of bread.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I can see having restrictions on objects that look like guns, not because guns are evil or anything, but because of difficulties that can result. I remember an incident here in Detroit a few years back when a cop thought a kid was trying to pull a gun on him. He shot and killed the kid, when the kid did not have a gun at all, but had something(don't remember what) that made the cop think he had a gun.
This is just an example of over-zealousness on the part of DCA. IMO, you tell the folks they got something illegal. If they take it off their shelves, all is well.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Let me get this right . Police officer says freeze drop your weapon and put your hands up ,all a person has to do is comply and he gets to live . This rule has worked very well for a long time . I for one am tired of hearing about so called innocent youths because the real story never hits the press until the real innocent persons life is destroyed .Try reading A Piece of Wood" by Ray Bradbury . A 60,000.00 fine for a cigarette lighter shaped like a gun is insane and remember right after they take your guns you get to ride a train and take shower . :crazy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Interesting. Bloomie and Kelly were my the subject of my blog today. Well, not THEM exactly but . . .
Well, you can read it here: Suburban Sheepdog: Obstructing Justice
Great blog post tslex...very well written. I believe the founders also understood that Empire is as antithetical to a Constitutional Republic as Democracy is. Unfortunately the Rubicon here was crossed a long time ago, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.