PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Greeting fellow pipe smokers!
Heading to New York City from Canada in just under 2 weeks and was thinking about picking up some pipe tobacco while in there. I will be staying in Manhattan for almost a week, not too far from where the World Trade Centre was and I am interested in visiting a few tobacconists in that area. If anyone can assist this Canadian, in the big city find a quality store, it would be appreciated.
Also, any sight seeing in the area? Going to a Broadway play, Empire State building and taking some foodie tours as well as visiting the WTC memorial/museum.
Thanks in advance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nat Sherman, 12 East 42nd Street, NYC, 10017, Cliff Gold, Lead Sales Associate. natsherman.com

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The NYC Pipe Club meets at the Soho Cigar Bar (in Soho...). It's a nice place for a smoke and light dinner/drinks.

http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com/
They sell cigars, but pipe smokers are welcome.

Have a blast!
The NYC museum is interesting (in the Empire State Building).

Ellis Island is AMAZING. (same ferry as the Statue of Liberty).
The Whitney Museum has a new home. Jon Gus' brother works at the museum and is a member of the NYC club.

http://whitney.org/

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Barclay Rex on East 42nd street is worth a visit. Very small shop, but they have some rare tobaccos, on occasion.
Since you will be in lower Manhattan, you may want to try Katz's deli on East Houston street for the best hand cut pastrami sandwich in all of NYC, if not the world.
I'm not kidding. Worth the trip.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nat Sherman (address in above post) has a spacious smoking area, both a conversation grouping and a few stray chairs. Often it's quiet, but sometimes there are theatrical young brokers (?) who dramatically smoke cigars, which if you like people watching is more entertaining than annoying, puff-puffing your pipe. I bought Nat Sherman blend 536 in bulk and enjoyed a bowl on the premises.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for the tips guys!!
I am heading to NYC later this morning, about 8 hours from now and I am quite excited to be there. Nat Shermans for sure, and going to try to hit Katz Deli.....sounds amazing!! Going to visit the WTC, Central Park, a Broadway play, Empire State Building, The Statue of Liberty and more. Looking forward to this week, except for the HOT weather expected, 31C on Monday, for my American friends........ that is damn hot for most Canadians.
Thanks again for the tips and I am really going to enjoy the food, the sights and the tobacco while I am there.

Jun 4, 2014
Its a short walk from Nat Sherman to Barclay Rex on 42nd Street, and Grand Central Station is right across the street so you can use going there as an excuse to walk down. If you like English blends try their bulk Vincent's Blend and Maiden Lane Blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.