PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
There's no way of getting around it; 2018 was The Year in Hell for me. From last January until now and continuing, I've been plagued by medical issues that have drained my pocket book and will continue to pay for years from now. But despite all this, I discovered I wasn't alone: bnicoles23 helped me out in a tremendous way that I wish I could discuss here, and only asked that I "pay it forward." I did, by forwarding about six nice corn cobs to a small pipe seller who was also a great guy who sent his wares out with a grab bag of goodies. Then, I swallowed up my pride, and asked shaintiques if he had any spare tobacco laying around that he could spare. Dave came back like a flash with the following, when I was only hoping for perhaps a small bag of tobacco:

img_1226-600x479.jpg

He had sent me several dozen ounces of tobacco, one bag of Barbados Plantation alone at least 15 ounces, enough to fill an empty tub I had, and much, much, more. There's enough baccy here to last for three-four months at the least, which is a huge aid into my medical expenses.

Pipe people really are different. Too bad it doesn't run off into others.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You'll find good and bad everywhere. You really notice the good when you aren't looking for it. Glad you found a bright spot in all of that darkness.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Thank you for posting this story sparrow. It warms my heart. Sorry to hear about your medical issues. Be well.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I can only echo what others have said about the generosity of pipe smokers. I'd been here less than a week when a member recognised I was struggling financially to get this hobby up and running, and sent me several and generous bags of tobacco to try.

Jan 8, 2013
These stories always remind me of the story about the painter, Norman Rockwell's studio outside his home burning down. It turns out a stray ember of some such sparked a fire. Rockwell also kept his pipes in the studio. And of course, they burned along with his paintings and everything else. Several of his neighbors and friends gifted him new pipes to replace those he lost.
So, when stories like this pop up here, whether because of illness, finances, I seem to recall there was actually a forum member who had a fire.... it always reminds me of the Rockwell story, and the generosity of fellow pipe smokers. And I think it's because most of us understand the comfort that comes with a pipe and tobacco. And it's a fine example and reminder that there are indeed still fine people who care about their fellow man in this world.
I hope 2019 is a much better year for you, Fred.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forums members' generosity has "knocked me for a loop" more than once, more than ten times. A shared interest is a strong bond.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks everyone for your good wishes for this coming year. Hope it turns out to be a cheerful one.

Status
Not open for further replies.