PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think Frog Morton's Cellar is a good blend and using the barrel stave to infuse bourbon flavor is just brilliant. However, I'm not a big fan of blends that bulk up on unflavored Cavendish/toasted VA the way the Frog Mortons all do. While there is some latakia in the Cellar, most of the black tobaccos you see are bits of VA that have been steamed and/or toasted to smithereens. It smokes cool, sure, but to me it just tastes bland and sooty.
So...a couple of nights ago I added a bit of rubbed out McClelland Christmas Cheer (a nice red/mahogany VA) to my tin of Frog Morton's Cellar, plus I added some bulk Carolina ribbon (a mild, bright VA, also from McClelland). I didn't add a ton, but just enough to give the blend a bit more brown/tan tobaccos in the mix. The difference (for me) was amazing. It still has that wonderful, sweet whiskey smell and flavor, but the added VA's give it a much brighter, cleaner flavor profile. I really like it this way. YMMV, etc.

okrent

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2013
Hmmm... great idea! I have some McConnell Red Virginia and I think I'll try some blending of my own right away.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yeah, I left the stave in. It's the stave chunk that actually flavors the tobacco, not any sort of topping. That's why it tastes so smooth and doesn't have that nasty aftertaste that some blends flavored with alcohol have.
The bit of VA's I added took on the bourbon flavor of the blend literally overnight. The sample I tried was freshly mixed, so I wonder if there will be any difference now that the flavors have melded more. Having tried this little variation I'm curious to try the Stave-Aged VA blend as well.
HOnestly, I thought this whole stave chunk thing was just a gimmick, but then I got a tin of Cellar as a gift and later found out how they flavored the tobaccos. Truly ingenious. It is the first aromatic I've had that actually tastes as good as it smells -- and no chemical aftertaste.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Is this an aromatic? I don't know. All I know is that I bought Cellar on a recommendation and it was the best recommendation to date. I LOVE this stuff, but I have no idea how to explain it. What exactly is it besides delicious?

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I love Frog Morton Cellar. I didn't think this is an aromatic when I smoked it. I thought it was a mild and tasty English blend. Whatever it is, I think it tastes great! Because I am in an extreme experimental mode, I mixed some of it 50/50 with McClelland 5100. It was a very good smoke!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
bob, glad to hear your experiment turned out well. That's quite a bit more VA's than I had added to mine. I may have to try that.
Also, I call FM Cellar an aromatic because it's scented/flavored. Clearly it's not an aromatic in the sense that some sort of cherry or vanilla essence has been used as a casing and/or topping. It's not an aromatic in that sense at all. Then again, there are whiskey flavored blends that qualify as aromatics in that sense.
Whatever, it's good stuff and I bet we'll see other kinds of "stave aged" tobaccos in the coming years.

sladeburns

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
I can't get enough of this stuff! The first time I smoked it I spent the next few hours sniffing myself. The best I can come up with to describe the smell is a campfire with aromatic woods like ponderosa pine while you eat spicy BBQ. Crazy but awesome!
Heck, I am thinking about throwing some fresh FMC and FMC ash in vodka and see if I can use it as cologne!

Status
Not open for further replies.