PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Brian Levine was the first to smoke it and I was the second. I'm working on a review of it now. I liked it!

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
JimInks did review this tobacco here:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-macbaren-modern-virginia-reviews

lannarkgent

Lurker
Aug 20, 2014
I got my sample from smoking pipes. I found this to be a delightfully tasty smoke.I purchased 3 tins after trying the sample. Very good stuff.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have a few tins and I smoke bowl nearly every day. It's very enjoyable.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I'm smoking a bowl of the flake right now (courtesy of Jiminks,) and it's truly superb! Smooth, rich and flavorful. One light took it all the way to the bottom. This will register as one of the truly great Virginias.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Glad you liked it, Rav.
MikeStanley: yes, it's much different. The topping is very different, and there are some darker Va. and a little burley here, too. In case you missed my reviews of both the flake and loose cut, here's a link: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-macbaren-modern-virginia-reviews

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Put me in the minority (again). I think it is rather bland. It's just another one of the hundreds of tobaccos out there that do not stand out.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I have a couple of sample packs from 4noggins. I haven't tried it yet. I'm saving them for the LVPC mtg on Monday so others can try it also. I'm interested in trying it and hearing the opinions of others as we all have different tastes.
Dave :wink:

willc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I too got my sample from SP and I think this is a nice smoke and I rarely smoke straight Virginia blends.

It stayed lit and didn't bite so that says a lot there, plus it was decent tasting.

Burley and Lats are still my preferred but a blend like this gives me hope to someday being a straight Virginia fan.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Got a sample pouch of the loose cut from a vendor rep. Nice and mild, maybe a little too mild for my taste. Definitely a little bit of a fruit topping. The main thing I liked about it was it had just enough flavoring to give it a taste but not so much that it overpowered the tobacco. I could still tell where the tobacco taste ended and the topping began.

Dec 24, 2012
I will be perfectly honest here. I tried a sample I received recently and wasn't a big fan. Was it horrible? No. But did it make me want to rush out and order some? No.
The fruity topping to me was a tad unsettling. Not wholly unpleasant, I grant you, but not something I can truthfully say that I enjoyed.
It did, however, leave me curious as to whether the flake version might suit my palate better. I wonder in particular whether the topping note is more muted and understated in the flake version.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I found Modern Va to be very mild and unremarkable. I tend towards mild blends but MVA did not grab my taste buds and provide any "WOW" factor. It didn't bite but as an aro smoker I still need some sort of taste grabber in my smokes. I'll smoke the samples but won't order any down the road.
Dave

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
During the first two years I smoked, I smoked quite a bit of straight VA. My pipe mentor was a straight VA man, and the blends that he touted became mine. But sometime in the third or fourth year, I moved on to other blends, and I can't remember why. When I smoke them now I can't find that early appreciation. Plus they bite me, the proverbial not slow smoker. In the same vein I avoid MB blends as they bite me like crazy, notwithstanding the fact that I'd like to smoke them.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
@peck

Do you think/know if the tin note and the blend would mellow after cellaring at length? I haven't even looked at the make up of the blend yet. I have several MacBaren blends with a similar fruity smell in cellared jars but they aren't near 'done' yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.