PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I'm in Canada and I ordered online and I got the tracking number when shipped, but USPS hasn't updated the tracking in a week? Usually they updated every couple of days or when it's scanned in the system. I emailed the vendor and they said USPS has a new tracking system in place so they don't update as often? Also, when I put in the tracking # in Canada Post's site - it comes up blank - in the past it will track it.

Any other fellow Canucks experienced this lately?

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
USPS tracking system is better today than ever in it's history since the implementation of their IMB.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I had an order ship on the 8th which arrived Wednesday and had no issues tracking both at the USPS side and with Canada Post once it arrived in Canada.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
So I should be concerned if since I haven't received anything since the "shipping labeled created" notice?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've ordered from two different online retailers, and the new tracking worked in both cases. However,

only one tracking system transferred the tracking number for me (4noggins). The other one I won't

name because it may not be the retailer's doing, I had to transfer the tracking number by keying it in;

cut and paste wouldn't work. At 4noggins, I just clicked on the number on my shipping confirmation,

and the tracking came up full and complete.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If USPS hasn't updated tracking from "shipping labeled created", and a week has transpired, you should be concerned.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
So I should be concerned if since I haven't received anything since the "shipping labeled created" notice?
If USPS hasn't updated tracking from "shipping labeled created", and a week has transpired, you should be concerned.
Yes you should. "Shipping Label Created" only means that your seller purchased postage thru Ebay or directly thru USPS - But they have not dropped the item off at a Post Office facility to begin it's journey. If a week has transpired, you better contact your seller.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
As Al says.
Except that the sender may have put the parcel in transit, but USPS has been unable to track it. This can happen if the package's barcode is damaged or obscured. So the package might well arrive at it's destination just fine, and never show up on USPS tracking.
Or, the package may have been pilfered, destroyed, lost at sea, sacrificed in some bizarre voo-doo ritual or perhaps it fell between the cushions on the sofa.
There is just no way of telling.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ask Sparks what USPS considers to be the shortest route between Bethlehem, PA and Philadelphia.

It may have involved a trip on a boat.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I've had nothing but success with orders in the past - in fact Canada Customs has done me a great kindness as well. I will contact the shipper again. Still no update this morning on USPS site.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Doc, the majority of USPS packages are delivered on time and without incident. But when they go bad, they go real bad:

FinalTrip4-vi.jpg
This package was going to CondorLover in NYC, and I can assure you that he had not moved. Also note that tracking does not show final delivery. It just falls off the radar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bingo! The 4noggins shipment of a gift package of Semois just arrived at my friend's in

Sunnyside (Queens, NYC) despite their highly unpredictable postal system, just like the

USPS tracking said it would, if not on Thursday. Close enough for government work as the

old joke goes. Hope my friend likes this unusual leaf -- some love it and some lose their

lunch.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
So I did contact Smoking Pipes as it was their order, and the reply I got back was that the post office they use is not scanning packages properly and some people were getting their orders without any tracking info?
Is this true of others on here? Or am I starting to smell a little BS....

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I hope so, I've had great success in the past - my only concern is that if they don't scan right away - the parcel is not in the system. Or if the bar code is damaged, it won't scan to the right destination. I work for a company that installs conveyor and sortation systems for the post office here in Canada - so I know a few things on how parcel scanning works....

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I would think that even if the receiving PO doesn't scan the package, it should show up on subsequent scans as it wends it's way to you. Either way, as Al says, smokingpipes will take care of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.