New to the Hobby. Estate Stanwell or Comoy NIB?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2016
I'm new to the hobby. I purchased my first pipe last month. A Peterson System XL 315. I immediately fell in love with pipe smoking and quickly purchased a handful of cheap estate pipes off of ebay. In addition to the Peterson I now own 3 Kaywoodie's, a Dr. G, and 2 Big Ben's. I am officially and avid collector as I'm ready to make another estate purchase. All of the pipes smoke well. The Peterson and the Dr. G smoke great! However I consider the Dr. G to be my homebody pipe. I wouldn't be ashamed to smoke it at my local B&M but I would prefer something that is more of a talking piece. My question is this. Should I purchase an estate Stanwell Antique for $49 or a Comoy Pebble Grain 80 NIB for $49? Personally I'm leaning towards the Comoy because I believe that price is hard to beat considering it is NIB. What are your recommendations, if any? Thanks.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
As the owner of many estate pipes, I say go with the estate. As the new owner of estate Comoy (pre-transition) I say go with the estate.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
An estate is almost always a better deal then new. If you find it's not a pipe for you, you can get out even, or close to it. If it is for you, who cares if it's been smoked? That's what your going to do with it.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Definitely estate pipe, older pipes are just made better, to many changes by most the big makers mid centry, Personally I don't own any pipe made after I was born

Oct 3, 2016
Thanks for the replies. Jefff I like your advice. I never thought about the resell value if it turned out not to be the pipe for me. Thanks everyone.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Just remember, Ebay clean is not clean, I send all my ebay pipes in for a proper job, Stem and Briar can hook you up for $10 and it comes back like new
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/15149/imag0311-600x336.jpg

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Old Comoy's with the 3-part "C" logo are hard to beat, but the newer ones leave much to be desired. Stanwell (Pre-Italy) have always done me well!

Oct 3, 2016
Thanks for the replies from everyone. I took all your advice to heart and pulled a 180. I purchased a completely different pipe than what I asked you about. lol. I did an etsy search and purchased a Peterson 2010 Christmas 106 Billiard. It's a gorgeous pipe that I can't wait to get. I'm going to make this billiard exclusively a holiday season pipe for aromatic blends. But who knows, if it smokes as good as I know it will I might toast the bowl all year long.

Status
Not open for further replies.