PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lant94

Lurker
Mar 20, 2014
Hey Guys, I am new to the hobby. Smoked a friends pipe on St. Patrick's day and enjoyed it quite a bit. I am a sophomore in college, and have a pretty extensive cigar collection, but I liked it for a change of pace. I did a little research and decided to start with an estate pipe and a couple tins to test some things out:

pipe:Randy Wiley Patina 'Unique' Freehand (86)

tins:Drew Estate: Toasted Black Cavendish 50g

Drew Estate: Meat Pie 50g

G. L. Pease: Westminster 2oz

Ashton: Artisan's Blend 50g

Three Nuns: Three Nuns 1.75oz
I ordered everything from smokingpipes.com just looking for any comments on what I selected and any tips for the future as well. THanks guys!

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
welcome to the forum, don't be afraid to ask questions, I have and received a ton of valuable information.
Tobacco on the other hand, is as complicated as a woman, what one guys loves, the other guy turns his head. I am presently in the dating stage, haven't made my mind up which ones will get a rose. :)

lant94

Lurker
Mar 20, 2014
If someone could explain the different types of pipe tobacco that would be greatly appreciated. I think I tried to stay away from aromatics but I am not quite sure if I did. Also I don't quite the difference of bricks or ribbon tobacco, does this have to be cut before smoked?

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
My only advice would be to search the reviews and try some in small quantities. Nothing wrong with building up a good stash, as the members here say, what you hate today, will be a favorite in years to come. Just celler what you don't like now.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
@lant94 - Welcome to the group! Feel free to post any and all questions you have. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site.
As for the types of tobacco, I would send you here for a quick list: Pipedia.org Tobacco Types. This is a great place with a wealth of information.
Happy puffing! :puffy:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Lant 94
Welcome to the forum.
Cigars are totally different than pipe tobacco. A humidor won't work for tobacco. The humidity requirement for cigars is quite high and for tobacco it ranges in the 16 per cent range (not exact, I'm sure)
Most of us take the newly acquired tobacco and jar it in mason jars unless you plan to smoke it within a short time, say 2 weeks maximum. Otherwise it will dry out.
If left in the unopened tin, you can 'cellar it', which means that you put it away in a cool dry place and let it age, similar to wine. It seems to work best with Virginia blend tobaccos but can also work for the blends that contain Latakia, which many call 'English' style.
There are many posts on the forum that go into great detail on the different types of tobaccos and the method for storing them.
Search it out.
Good luck and enjoy the amazing journey.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
You are off to a good start. Tobacco can be difficult to zero in on, but you have some good ones to try out. Spend a lot of time figuring out how to smoke a pipe and it will be very rewarding. Welcome to the forums!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've smoked two of the five - Ashton Artisan and Three Nuns - and both are winners. Welcome to the hobby and the site.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Also I don't quite the difference of bricks or ribbon tobacco, does this have to be cut before smoked?"
Not sure where you're seeing "bricks," but ribbon is a specific cut of tobacco. The only tobacco that requires cutting is known as "plug" or "rope." There are very few blends that come in this format. Those that do tend to be among the strongest tobaccos out there. I wouldn't recommend trying them until you've really gotten comfortable with pipe smoking. If then. (I don't like high-nicotine blends, so I've never tried these -- and won't.)
However, your 3 Nuns will come as a spun-cut tobacco, meaning it's in the shape of coins. You can fold them up and stuff them in your pipe. Or you can crumble them up in the palm of your hand before filling your pipe. They will burn slower if kept whole, but they may also be harder to pack and to keep lit. But that's what some prefer.
You may also encounter flakes. These are long, bacon-like strips of tobacco that has been pressed and then sliced into thin slices/flakes. But the same approaches apply: You can fold them up and fill your pipe. You can rub them out. Others like to cut them up into little squares. Each approach will give a slightly different smoke, but it's purely a matter of personal preference.
My approach is to rub out everything as completely as possible. For me, cutting is too fiddly. And I never end up with a well-packed pipe when I've tried the fold-and-stuff method.
Bob

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
My oldest son is also a sophomore and new to the pipe smoking hobby. Some of the best times I have ever shared with him have been in recent months, sharing the briar, sipping a good whiskey, and swapping stories.
Looks like you are off to a fantastic start with your first order. Best of luck to you in school, and happy puffing.
Oh, and welcome aboard! 8)

ammohouse

Lurker
Sep 13, 2013
Welcome.

Im still pretty new and have aquired a pretty good collection of tobacco. I have numerous aromatics that the wife likes the smell of so that lets me smoke. I have others that I'm trying out but nothing is set in stone yet.

Good luck on your quest!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Welcome aboard...
I’m also relatively new to pipe smoking myself at 67 (long story… boring and who gives a damn), but the choice of tobacco’s can be quite daunting to say the least. I’m still on my little quest while smoking aro’s and also slowly trying to delve into non-aro’s for a change of pace from time to time. It’s not that I don’t like aro’s, but I’m willing to try other things for the off chance that I might be missing out on something.
I’ve delved into some tobaccos that I absolutely abhor, but that’s just the way things go and it’s all part of the process. Then again, I’ve been smoking cigarettes for 50+ years so my taste buds are probably like 40 grit sandpaper, but it still amazes me that I can find some tobacco revolting, whereas some find the same tobacco to be sublime. Some people love fried liver, and some hate it so take tobacco reviews with the proverbial grain of salt. At this point in time I wouldn’t worry too much about dedicating a pipe(s) to certain types of tobacco. I’ve smoked what I consider to be utter crap in a pipe and I’ll be damned if I can detect it when I place another tobacco in that same pipe, but that’s just me. The best thing you can do now, if money is tight, is to buy a few MM cobs. They smoke like a dream, do not need any resting and if by chance it somehow fouls up you’ve only lost a few bucks. I have four, with a few choice briar’s which I’m still adding to and the cob’s are still a great go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.