New to the forums ! (stories of your history with pipes)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

royveda

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
Hello everyone ! I have lurked this forum for the last couple days and you all seem friendly enough. My name is Nicholas and I just wanted to introduce myself and start a thread. But, from what I have seen I don't really want to make another generic 'rate my first pipe and tobacco thread.' Even though I will ask you to do just that. :nana:
I shamefully admit that I haven't been a pipe smoker long, just recently within my last birthday I purchased a pouch of Captain Black and a Dr. Grabow Redwood. However, I have been smoking cigarettes since I was a very young man, so don't be afraid of recommending me to harsher blends of tobacco, even though I am aware the difference is definitely there. I've read many threads about the do's and don'ts of purchasing your first tobacco pipes and the suggestions very from thread to thread, article to article. But what I mostly taken away is buy what you like, so I did. I am not worried of ruining my first experience with a bad first purchase. I am patient. Also, it seems to work fine, but I've never smoked a Dunhill.
The main purpose of this thread is I am genuinely curious on your history of pipe smoking. Some of my most earliest memories of pipe smokes stems from two sources. My late grandfather, bouncing me on his knee with a pipe clenched in his teeth. Unfortunately he passed before I came of age to receive any of his estate pipes (assuming I deserved them lol). My second source is a family friend that my father played baseball with. I remember sitting in the dugout and watching him pack a bowl, this is the first time I remember being honestly drawn to the aroma and act of pipe smoking.
But what actually made me go out and purchase a pipe and take up the hobby, sad to say, was a book series. A lot of the characters enjoyed pipes in it, and doing more research I found the author was a very avid pipe collector. Even referring to pipe collecting as an indoor sport, which I found hilarious. So, Pipesmag forum users, I ask of you to share your experiences of getting into this hobby, and to also recommend more entry level pipes and tobacco that are decent quality, but won't break my bank just yet. (this may be a contradiction) Thank you for reading and I look forward to hearing your stories and suggestions. Also, I like to feel like this is a unique thread but I am not claiming to have been here from the beginning, so if this is a recycled topic please excuse my ignorance. :D

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome... I am new to pipe smoking (smoking at all) too and just recently joined this community. Everyone seems very friendly and I've learned much.
Good to have ya here.

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome. I have only been smoking pipes for about two years, so I am still exploring a lot myself, but this is definitely the place for answers and opinions.
I'm curious about which book series you were reading, that much pipe smoking, it has to be good.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Welcome to the forums!
As for my own history, well, I don't have any. I started a little over a year ago after a friend of mine picked up a pipe on a whim while we were on a writing retreat with our spouses - and I enjoyed sitting out on the back porch while he indulged.
I did actually use an old tobacco pouch (the rubber liner had long since disintegrated) as a change container way back when I had a paper route - I think it may have belonged to my grandfather, but I never saw him smoke a pipe and my mom has never mentioned him doing so...
So I guess it's now up to me to create my own history. Good luck with yours!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. I started smoking pipes in 1970. No one in my family smoked pipes but I was always fascinated by them and the Sherlock Holmes movies and stories.

Like many, I started with a drug store pipe and some cherry blend. Both were horrible so I found a small B&M nearby and visited the elderly owner who took the time to educate me on the hobby. with my first GBD and some Lane blends I got into it further. Within a year I had "graduated" to more sophisticated blends, especially the Dunhill Line. Don't get me wrong here, I still went through a majority of the drug store blends in search of "The Blend". I finally found my blend in Lane Ltd.'s Highland and smoked that until it was discontinued in the early to mid 1980's.

Move ahead to the past few years and we pipers now have some many high quality blends at our disposal that it is nearly impossible for me to have just one favorite. Let's face it, you can't eat the same thing every day and call it fulfilling. So, now I have many different tins and find myself enjoying each for what it is. I it is about experimenting and discovering different things.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Interestingly I didn't pick up smoking a pipe 'til I was in my 40s. Before that, I had been a non-smoker all of my life. What first got me interested in pipes was memories of two uncles who were both avid pipe smokers. I remember as a boy growing up in the '70s and visiting with my uncles how much I enjoyed the smell of their pipes (both were "Sir Walter Raleigh" men). Fast forward many years later, I became a Civil War reenactor and as part of my "impression", I decided to start smoking a period reed stem clay pipe "just for reenactments". Soon I found that I really enjoyed the pipe and started smoking it on a weekly basis although I typically don't smoke more than 5-7 bowls/week. Last year my brother and I started up a pipe manufacturing company (Old Dominion Pipe Co.) manufacturing traditional bamboo stem corn cob pipes. So my hobby has developed into a business enterprise.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Ok Roy, I'll make this my first post aside from the intro thread. My own history is rather short in comparison to some of the "lifers" that exist on here but I feel that I can still make a contribution and perhaps help you out.

I smoked cigs from an outrageously early age until I was 36, (I'm 53). I have never looked back and don't miss them even a little. I discovered the world of hand made cigars a couple years after quitting the cigs and thoroughly enjoyed swapping, collecting and smoking some fabulous cigars, in moderation of course. In time though, I did become kind of bored with the whole thing and less impressed with the rising costs brought on by the rising popularity that grew into the late '90s, enter the briar pipe. We were lucky here in Pittsburgh in that time to have had a fair number of B&M tobacconists and I had happened to become pretty good friends with the owner of one large one in particular that had a very strong inventory of pipes, tobaccos and all the trappings that go with it. He is also a full line cigar dealer as well and to this day maintains a very busy and well stocked establishment. When I informed him that I was interested in learning about becoming a pipester, he immedietly began introducing me to his long time pipe club members, many of whom had a lifetime of experience, some even produced high grade hand carved but all of them together helped flatten my learning curve. Before reaching out to my friend and asking for his help I did fly solo for some time with a Dr. Grabow Duke and some Carter Hall. The former was quickly replaced, the latter? Well, it still holds a spot in my heart and rotation as it's not a bad OTC tobacco, not bad at all.
To help address your concerns on pipes and cigars, my 14 or so years in the hobby have taught me a few things. Corn Cob pipes, American MM specifically, can and will deliver a true Nirvanna like smoking experience for cheap. Don't let anyone tell you any different. Mid grade briars can deliver the same but you must learn how to identify the ones worth buying, these forums and some mentors can help with that. Spending big $$ on some fancy hand carved is fun and exciting but can lead to to a bad case of buyers remorse occasionally, I personally will never again spend much over a $100 for a pipe even if I do think I can afford to do so and if somehow I were to get weak, it would have to be something truly special.

On tobaccos, try as many types, genres and flavor specific tins and bulks as it is humanly possible to do and journal your experiences. I try all new tobaccos in a cob specifically to guage every nuance of JUST the tobacco as briar pipes in different grades and depending on what's been smoked previously in them can impart a "ghosting" flavor effect. Often this can be a good thing but I like to know what tin X of a certain Balkan blend really tastes like on its own before stuffing it into one my pipes that's marked for my Balkan rotation.
Don't be concerned with having to use pipe cleaners during a smoke to keep things cool and dry and don't stress on how many re-lights you may have to preform to finish a bowl. Matches are cheap and most often free.

Find and patronize a B&M if one exists within a reasonable distance even if it's only occasionally. You can't intelligently purchase from Internet suppliers if you don't have some sort of baseline experience and exposure to certain blends and smoking instruments.
I know this was long but hopefully helpful.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Welcome aboard Roy!

Not a lot to tell on my end really.

The only person I knew growing up who smoked a pipe, was my step-grandfather's brother-in-law. I would go over there sometimes as a kid, and I always loved the smell.

He kept a big bag of tobacco by his chair, and a rack of pipes on the table.
Myself, I first smoked a pipe 13 or 14 years ago. It was a borrowed Dr. Grabow, and some Capt. Black White.

My cousin was given a couple of pipes, and he let me smoke one when I would come over. He had a big tub of CBW on the coffee table, and we would sit there and smoke those Grabows like a couple of chimneys! Of course neither one of us had a clue what we were doing, lol!

We did that for several months.
After that, I didn't smoke a pipe for several years. I picked it up again about 6 years or so ago, and I've been at it ever since!

My tastes have greatly changed in that amount of time, and I now enjoy a very wide range of tobaccos (except Lakelands).

My time here on this forum has greatly increased my love of the pipe, and steered me towards some great blends I probably wouldn't have tried otherwise.

My collection has grown from roughly 20 pipes when I joined, to over 50, and my tobacco cellar from just a couple pounds (if that), to 35+lbs!
That's pretty much my story. This is a great place, and a great bunch of guys, but thanks to them I have a lot less money in the bank! Lol!

royveda

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
Guys thank you all for the replies. This is all very interesting to me, I love learning about peoples history with all kinds of things, and I believe we have just scratched the surface. All the advice and suggestions I am taking to heart. As of right now I am currently waiting for my local smoke shop to open so I can grab me a cob pipe to add to my rotation and a few more sample pouches. My fervor is actually spreading to my room mate now and he is going to take it up with me! :twisted:
As for the book series that inspired me, it's called The Wheel Of Time by Robert Jordan. It's not everyone's cup of tea (or bourbon if you prefer) but it truly inspired me. Strange, because I've read The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings when I was younger and never thought twice at the pipe smoking in it, nor the pipe smoking that the author did himself. Suppose it's just because in The Wheel Of Time the main characters come from a small town where they are renowned for their tobacco crops.
If you please, don't stop with the suggestions or stories. I would love to see this thread explode with reminiscence, sprinkled with a dash of a seasoned piper's suggestions and tips. Heck, even your current favorite pipe/blend with a one sentence summary of your history/introduction to the hobby would be enough for me. Being an introvert, this digital age is amazing and I am glad to be in an age with so much information available without ever having to leave my house, and looking like a novice fool at the counter top. Granted, I know that Tobacconists can and will be friendly, if no better reason than to make the sale, but I prefer to do my research i independently first. Thank you all for the hardy warm welcomes and tips! Keep them coming and keep piping my friends! :clap:

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
welcome to the forum! I started smoking a pipe a couple years ago. I mainly was attracted to the "art" of pipe smoking really. I love the craftsmanship that goes in to making a pipe and a pipe tobacco blend. I also love the different variations of pipe tobacco. There is so much to learn with this hobby and it never gets old! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. As for good pipes that aren't too expensive I would recommend Brigham pipes and Nordings. Good luck with your adventures!

royveda

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
Smeigs I completely agree! I have been smoking Marlboro Reds for 10 years now. I am 24, started when I was 14. Instead of just going to any old gas station and getting smokes, now there is a door that has been blasted open for me the second I decided to research pipe tobacco. Between the different types of tobacco, blends, pipes, accessories, and culture, it's like I went from grade school to trying to get a doctorate! That is another reason why I decided to join this community. It is very daunting looking at the hobby on a whole, sort of like staring up at a huge mountain. But with a few climbing buddies, and sage advice, you can make it to the top without feeling too overwhelmed.
Sorry Phillip Morris, I am on a new train now. One with roots deeper than yours. :laughat:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I come from a family of staunch non-smokers. My mother's father smoked cigars, but he died when I was five. . . not sure he had much influence. And I learned later that my father's grandfather had smoked a pipe. But I come from a line of ministers and missionaries, and smoking of any kind just wasn't done.
Yet in college I realized that some of the strongest influencers in my life (apart from my parents) were smokers: C. S. Lewis and his brother, J. R. R. Tolkien, Charles Williams. I somehow knew that once I became "legal" (18 in Illinois), I'd at least give it a try. I started with a pack of Kool Milds. I inhaled the first one, just to see what the experience was like. I loved it! (No coughing/gagging like you see in the anti commercials.) But I knew I didn't want to be addicted and that, being a singer, I didn't want to do anything that would affect my voice. So everything smoked after that was NOT inhaled.
Between my first and second years of college, I was in a 7-member music group that toured throughout the midwest and east. We did one song that mentioned corncob pipes, so we thought it would be fun to add them as props. I'd always been curious about pipes -- again, Lewis and Tolkien -- so one day I picked up one to actually smoke, along with some apple-flavored drugstore tobacco. It was awful. Yet, for some reason, I persisted. The next fall I picked up my first briar from a local Tinder Box (which I still happily smoke!), along with the store's most-popular aromatic, North Sea (which is their rebranding of Peter Stokkebye's Nougat). Suddenly I was actually enjoying the experience of smoking a pipe.
And that was 34 years ago. . .
Bob

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I started pipe smoking in 2000, having smoked cigars for twenty years till then. When my dad died mum gave me his old tobacco pouch - a lovely leather article with an oilskin lining which sealed airtight when zipped up (it is probably seventy-years old now, and I still use it).
So I went to the tobacconist (now the only one still in business in this part of Scotland) to ask for some Ogdens Walnut Sliced that dad used to smoke. The guy suggested a Peterson basic System and also that I should try some loose (bulk) flakes - both good pieces of advice.
So, from the beginning I smoked Irish Slices, Bulwark, GH&Co Balkan Flake, FVF, BBF and Rum Flake. They are still my staples (and hence the first two syllables of my moniker!!lol), but I have since extended my repertoire in both blends and pipes!! I have a large collection of pre-1950 (ie older than me!) pipes and a burgeoning cellar, mainly of flakes.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Well Nicholas like yourself I'm rather new to pipe smoking,I've been smoking a pipe for about 6 months now,as for history I had a great uncle (that I never had the chance to meet) that smoked a pipe,but I was first drawn to pipe smoking when my dad came home one day ( I was maybe 12 ) with a Dr. Grabow estate pipe he got from somebody that was going to throw it away,before this the only thing my dad smoked was cigars,but he brought this pipe home and we cleaned it up together and it went into humidor to sit for no joke about 5 years until he lent it to his brother.My first pipe was a china cob I know china cobs are probably some of the worst pipes you can have and I have since graduated to some better quality ( albeit still cobs ) pipes but there will always be a little sentiment there.Anyway my dad finally got his Dr. Grabow back and has since given it to me,and as for a history with pipes that would be where mine ends,but there's always room to add to it so....... :puffy:

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Well, I'm a total n00b. Smoked cigars on and off in the late nineties/early 2000s, but stopped due to spousal pressure. My maternal grandfather and my father had both been pipe smokers, and my dad had smoked cigars.
Didn't touch tobacco for twelve years or so. Then last fall a new shooting buddy brought some cigars out to the range, and I really enjoyed it. Picked up a humidor, filled it, and have been enjoying one or two cigars a week since. Then a couple of months ago somebody at work mentioned pipe smoking, and that sparked a train of thought. Started researching it on the Internet, score an estate Lorenzo Billiard at the local "B&M" (actually a kiosk at the mall), then a Rossi Author and a Sav 626 online, and just picked up a Blatter&Blatter bent Bulldog at Blatters this week.
Started with a pouch of Brigham's Maple Vanilla (rather bitey) and a tin of Solani Black & White (tin notes of fermented prune cough syrup, but smokes much more nicely). I also quite Blatter London and Reserve (English and Balkan), and Balkan Sasieni. I guess I just like Latakia.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Good post idea. It's neat to see backgrounds all in one place rather than catching pieces here and there when they're relevant to a thread.

When I got to college two years ago, my roommate and I hit it off really well. He's still my best friend on campus. He was a pipe and occasional cigar smoker, as his father had been before he was born. I had no smoking experience or first person influence from my family. Apparently my dad's father, who I never got to meet, smoked a pipe for a while but dropped it. My father did have a close friend who smoked a pipe profusely, and some of my earliest memories are of playing on the floor of his house and watching him smoke. I even recall the smell, but I don't know the blend. At any rate, my roommate introduced me to smoking, and I've been at it pretty steadily since I really dove into it at the end of freshman year. I go to a conservative college where dozens of students smoke pipes, along with a handful of professors (I actually smoke with my advisor/favorite English prof fairly regularly). College is a great environment for this hobby, especially if you get a friend or two into it! Between my school and this forum, it's a pretty good time to be a pipesmoker.

outsider347

Lurker
Mar 23, 2014
Many yrs ago I attempted to be a pipe smoker. Really enjoyed it, but as a young man, I just didn't have the patience.
Fast forward to the present 67 yr old gent, I'd like to pick up the pipe again. I know for sure that there will be no smoke in the the house, but thats OK, I have a great Porsche restoration, metal, sheetmetal back garage shop.
Just picked up an estate sale drug store variety, pipe & holder for 10.00
Question:
1. Best way to clean/sterilize the pipe

2. tobacco suggestion
Thanks Gents.

ed

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Welcome to the forums.
I started as a young man in 1970 and was fortunate to have some fine pipe mentors in Liverpool. They did not care what their pipes looked like or how many times they had to relight.
Just to establish a baseline, you may consider a high quality Virginia flake such as GL Pease's Union Square. Virgina leaves are the foundation of most blends, and once you have a feel for how they taste, you can branch out(no pun intended)into other leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.