PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Like the title says, however to start I smoked a pipe in my 20's and gave it up for about 10yr due to a nagging wife (EX wife for 5yrs and couldn't be happier lol). I've picked it up again within the last few months and I notice that pipe smoking and tobacco is as big as cigars and wine cultures. I used to smoke Amphra and Borkum Riff, sometimes some Captain Black.
I decided not to go with either of these choices and I started back into it trying some new (to me) Mac Baren Regular, Royal, and some blends from my local Sheffield Tobacconist like Old Fasioned Maple, Vanilla. I also bought some Erinmore Mixture (which I don't mind) and Erinmore Flake (don't really like), tried a couple Brigham blends which give a nasty tounge bite. I never even heard of Perique or Latakia, or English Blends until recent when I started poking around online for cheaper tobacco and different, more flavorful blends. All I knew for pipe tobacco is what my Uncle smoked and my neighbour, who are the two people who got me interested in pipe smoking when I was a kid. I love the smell of a pipe and the aromas that linger for days afterwards. I find it difficult someitmes to bring myself to try new blends with all the different reviews and the horrendous the prices and worrying about not liking them and I don't know anyone else who smokes a pipe in this city so I wouldn't be able to trade or sell it. The local tobacconist doesnt have samples (something to do with his location being in the mall and the laws) however the one an hour away does and I really don't want to waste the gas driving that far to get only a little bit of tobacco. I have opted to purchase online. I guess I could say I am fairly 'new' to pipe smoking as I only know what I know. I like to educate myself as much as I can about things so that's why I feel like a noob lol.
I recently picked up some Mac Baren plumcake Navy Blend and I can't stop smoking it or sticking my nose in the jar everytime I walk past the cupboard. I absoutley LOVE this smoke. I bought a pouch of it on Saturday, I opened it in the car and was instantly nailed with a fruity, smokey, delicious aroma. I wanted to crawl inside the pouch and never come out lol. I have never smelled or smoked a tobacco like this before. I know the smokey is from the Latakia in it and now I want to smoke nothing but this stuff or stuff similar to it. I am willing to try new blends but I would like some educated opinions as to what types of tobacco one might think would interest a guy like me given the examples above. I am dying to try Frog Morton (any one of them) because of all the reviews about it, and it having Latakia in it. I think I might like Oriental blends but I have no idea where to begin with those, like I said I only know what I know, and that's why I'm asking questions on here.
Pretty cool forum btw. Learning alot of stuff on here for sure!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Welcome to the club. I haven't tried the Mac Baren. Plumcake Navy Flake...However I have tried Peter Stokkebeye's Luxury Navy Flake and liked that a lot, though I am a little more fond of their Bullseye flake. I really like Frog Morton On The Town, but from what I here all the blends are pretty good. I have seen a lot of love for Cellar recently.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Welcome mate! I am also from Canada so I know the limited blends available to us locally. I now order ALL my baccy from an online vendor who is terrific. If I can be of any help, just holler.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome back to the fold.
I haven't tried Plumcake but I have tried both Frog's Town and Cellar. Both are good solid smokes with Town being a little lighter with a touch of almost a vanilla taste. The Cellar has a thicker body with the heavier taste of the liqueur flavor. I find myself getting Latakia cravings sometimes, but don't care for a lot of Englishes. Same with sweet flavors. Cellar kills two birds with one stone for me.
Both go excellent with coffee but Cellar excels with a nice neat Maker's Mark IMO.
And now you've made me want a glass of bourbon and a smoke at 8 AM....

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
I'm also in Canada and just ordered Frog Cellar from 4Noggins...and a new pipe!

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
welcome cavendish. i like plumcake ok, iam not crazy about macbaren tobacs. macbaren is however a producer of quality leaf, i have smoked a few of their tobacs, they just do not agree with me. i like erinmore flake once it is dry. you will get all the info you need yet here, a bunch of great guys and ladies here. i like mcclellands offerings as well. iam not really fond of frog morton series. i like their mature virginas, orientals, ect. they also offer many bulk tobacs. this place is addicting.
take care.

mike.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cavendish, welcome to the forum. I would also highly recommend using 4noggins for your tobacco needs. I was always partial to Frog Morton on the Bayou because of the Perique in it. I would also recommend you trying a tin of Escudo and Dunhill Flake, both are very tasty and readily available.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
WOW! :D Thanks for all the welcomings and GREAT advice! I was poking around on here for a lil while as a guest just to see how accepting the fourm is and I find it great! I am going to do more research on 4noggins tonight. Aren't they in the US? I read on other forums and through Google searches that some people have been taxed at customs. I get alot of my baccy from the native reserve close by. I got a carton(5x50g pouches) of Mac Baren Royal Blend for $45. I am skeptical of bring tobacco off the reserve however due to the retarded (pardon the term but they are) federal and provincial laws on rez baccy. I will call Rich and see what he says. I'm the type that likes to hear it from the horses head ;) lol. Again, everyone thanks for the warm welcomes and advice I'm sure I will have TONS more questons about all the cool stuff I never knew before.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
"Rich has a lot of experience with Canadian customers. I am sure you'll be more than pleased with his customer service and advice.
Do let us know how you make out "
I will! I love this forum! I will call him in the morning while I enjoy something in my pipe. I haven't decided what to have in the morning. I kind of scorched my mouth on sunday evening on some damp tobacco and I was also drinking and not thinking of the control of my sip/puff. Some Biotene is helping, but what else would help for a little scorching of the mouth?

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Hey Cavendish , glad you joined us. This is a great site with lots of great people always willing to help out . As a Canadian I have found quite a few really good online sites that you can use to purchase tobacco. Have a look at Smoking Pipes , they are great people , great products, great prices. Oh yeah , if you want to avoid having to pay duty on your tobacco order make sure that you don't order more than 8oz at a time. It seems to be the amount that customs allow before adding duty charges. Its been working great for me so far. Bying tobacco online from Smoking Pipes is way cheaper even with shipping than buying it up here in Canada. Anyway welcome aboard & enjoy the ride.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I used to smoke cigarettes and cigars and never had a problem with scorching I until came back to the pipe. And yes, it is always too late once you realize it. I did it about a month ago too and it never really seemed to go away entriely. I usually let my tobacco dry for about 5-10min before packing, I don't like it too dry however. I am a slow smoker, just wasn't paying attention that night. And laying off the pipe is not something I'm interested in lol. I have only smoked 3 bowls today. I smoke more on the weekends because I'm not at work and I know that contributed to it as well. It was saturday evening not sunday lol. After I felt it scorch I dodn't smoke anymore that night and didn't light up until after lunch the next day.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
You might want to try a very popular tobacco , Lane's 1Q . Its a very nice smooth smoking tobacco, its one of my favourites. Its only sold in bulk & price is excellent.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
brassonly I haven't ordered anything from thre as of yet, still comparing prices with a couple such as 4noggins and smokingpipes. There's SO much to choose from it makes a hard choice sometimes lol. I want it ALL :twisted: lol

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
So I called and spoke to Rich at 4noggins.. What a great guy! very helpful and knowledgable too! I am DEFINATLEY placing an order next week! I will be enjoying cheaper tobacco thanks to everyone who recommended me to the site!

Status
Not open for further replies.