New to Repairs.

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by rmason
  • Latest reply from snagstangl
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I just visited an antique store the other day and I ended up buying about five old estate pipes, four of them are in perfect shape and will only take a little work to get back in working order, the fifth one I bought because I really wanted a challenge as a beginner. The pipe itself, has a not very deep crack in the chimney and was wondering how to repair that would I sand it down, putty it, and stain it then it or what should I do; also sorry for not posting pictures since I don't know how to, and I do really want to give it a try at repairing it.

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

As with so many things in our hobby, the answer here is: It depends.

Bradley (The Old Cajun here on PM Forums) has had very good results using fireplace cement/mortar ILO of pipe mud for certain pipe repairs and I'm thinking using this material would be a great way to repair the crack on your stummel.

I'm thinking it could work quite well, definitely sealing the crack and the repair would hold (this sealer is virtually impervious to heat to 2,000 degrees F.) -- so the pipe would smoke fine. How it would look, though, depends on the repaired crack ... it may not be the prettiest girl at the prom, but it should smoke well.

For more info, search the PM Forums and/or PM The Old Cajun for details.

Good luck, and please let us see how you make out

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Not sure what to do about cracks, you can sand it down or fill it with what we call 'pipe mud.' I've never tried it so you can search around here for the recipe or buy something called fireplace mortar. Perhaps someone else can chime in. Thanks roth, you chimed in while I was typing...

We'd love to see pictures. Easiest way to do it is to take pics with your camera, then go onto a image hosting site such as tinypic.com or postimg.cc. These are free services, you can upload your pictures there. I use postimage. Under the picture it will say 'show codes' and you copy the URL and paste it in the box that comes up when you click IMG here on the forum. I recommend creating an account, it is free and you will be able to find your pictures easily.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

In my view, while a good pipe mud works well to "seal" issues inside the bowl, one has to reasonably assume that the integrity of the stummel's wood is not compromised for pipe mud to work properly. In other words, if the crack in your pipe has completely "split" the wood to the outer surface, I'm thinking pipe mud would not be the ideal way to repair your pipe. Hence, my suggestion about using the fireplace mortar to seal the crack.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got a close pic of the damage?

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well here goes nothing I am trying to post the picture of the crack, and if it works please keep in mind that I am God awful with a camera. photo IMG_1839_zpscf0c17b2.jpg">

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting the pic. Your photo is plenty good enough to show that a crack like this one will me a major repair.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So would it be best as a beginner to avoid a project like this?

~ Ron

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

So would it be best as a beginner to avoid a project like this?

With the caveat that I am NOT into restoring/repairing pipes myself, I think that, if you're fairly handy at fixing things, it may be worth trying to "fix" it yourself. After all, you can't "ruin" this pipe. I'll just throw this out, but stripping the stummel, reaming and cleaning it, will better show what might be done to repair this pipe.

I'm sure other BOTLs, actually skilled and experienced at this sort of thing will chime in, but for some otherwise inexplicable reason, I'm thinking you can "save" this pipe.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Roth, I think I will give it a try and I will also take your advice and PM the Old Cajun about the fireplace cement you were talking about earlier. You all on the forums are so nice and a huge help Thanks again.
    ~Ron

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

WTG Ron! Please let us know how this goes for you and good luck!

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, top the bowl(sand it down with sand paper on a flat surface, move the top of the bowl across it until even and smooth). Save the briar dust and pack the dust back into the outside of the crack and coat with super glue working it into the crack as much as you can, let dry sand smooth, then fireplace cement the inside. Oh, and read and live by http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/ it will show you everything you need.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   supdog, georged, jiminks, jfred, redglow, elpfeife, ben88, trubka2, jaytex969